Spanish Era Mining in the Appalachians

flex

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a new member, but am doing historical research on early mining in the Appalachians and would welcome any insights others might have.

Based on my research, I believe there can be documented four locations with pre-18th century mineshafts in the southern Appalachians, and two sites that appear to have hosted placer mining operations. Four of these are in North Carolina, one in Tennessee and one in Georgia. However, there are a number of rumors or legends of other sites where I've found only limited data. These are:

• In the early 1800’s, a group of Revolutionary War veterans searched for a Spanish silver mine on Coronaka Creek, in the District of Abbeville, near the old Rock Church, northeast of Greenwood, South Carolina. According to legends, the mine had been worked by the Spanish, but most of the Spanish miners were killed by the Cherokee, and the mine was hidden by the tribe. The veterans sank a shaft 60-70 feet on a hillside above the east bank of Coronaka, a little way south of “old Captain Slunge,” John Calhoun’s Revolutionary tub-mill, but never found anything.

• In 1858, it was reported that an old silver mine had been re-discovered in Hancock County, Alabama. The mine, which had large trees growing on and around it, had been walled up with solid masonry. A group of Georgia miners were working the site, and it was reported that the ore was “very rich.” It is not clear where this mine stood, as its stated location, “in Hancock County, near the Morgan and Walker lines,” doesn’t make much sense. Moreover, there appears to be no further account of mining activity beyond the one newspaper account cited (the Huntsville Advocate).

• In a ca. 1900 manuscript, an early resident of Lincolnton, North Carolina mentions evidence of ancient mining from Kings mountain, South Carolina, but provides no further details. According to officials at the National Military Park, there is no known evidence of Spanish era mining, but the area contains a number of mining pits dating from the 19th century gold rush in the region.

• In his 1930 History of Buncombe County, Sondley noted that there had been a persistent tradition of a silver mine once known to exist in the vicinity of Hot Springs, North Carolina, on the French Broad River. He conceded, however, that the story had never been verified nor the mine located.

• According to a 1941 book by a prominent North Carolina judge, there are several tunnels in the ridge underlying the town of Webster, North Carolina, which bear evidence of having been excavated by metallic tools. The Indians informed early settlers that these tunnels had been made much earlier by white men.

I would welcome any information or insights other members might have on these or other old sites. I don't know that anyone will get rich from this research, but there's an intriguing bit of history here that never made it into the history books.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Flex! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
What intersecting information you have! I'm sure there's someone or some forum you will find more pieces to the puzzle. Welcome to treasurenet from Ohio!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts! :occasion14:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet!

Your's is probably one of the most interesting introductions to the forum. You certainly gave us something to think about.

Thank you for joining!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
F

flex

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
vpnavy, thanks! I didn't realize the sub-forums were there. Look like an excellent resource. I'm currently in Italy, but my area of focus is pre-settlement activity in the southern Appalachians and the old southwest. Appreciate the advice.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome from.Mississippi and good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread