Spanish Galleons

JahMan2003

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
Dell Winders said:
Tell us more-Orchid the entire island ?

That was a long time ago, so I'm really straining my memory. I remember I was negotiating with an Orange grove owner, and $40,000 was spent on constructing a 6 foot in diameter portable coffer dam, in 5 foot interlocking sections. after weeks of waiting we could not reach an agreement on percentages of recovery and I abandoned hopes for the project.

This was not an easy project. As with the majority of Florida land treasures, the water table appears to have risen dramatically since 1850 and these treasures have now sunken, and are suspended in quick sand, or laying on bedrock.

I found out later, from Art Hartman, that the grove owner contacted him to do the recovery. Art conducted a second remote sensing survey making the same locations, and reaching the same conclusion. I don't remember the reason why Art, said a recovery was never attempted. I'm not sure, the owner may have been killed in a private plane crash.

I was just looking at Google Earth, and construction has changed the appearance from what I remember it as being. I am reasonably sure there is a ton, or more of shipwreck treasure buried on land at Orchid, just as there is at hundreds of other shipwreck locations I have plotted and surveyed along Florida's coasts. Dell

Hey,
I'm a newbie, but I am eager to learn from the experts. If you've plotted and surveyed hundreds of shipwreck locations along the coast with a reasonable assurance that they have a ton or more of shipwreck treasure buried on the beach, then you must be doing pretty good!! Jeez, that would rival Mel Fischer, which is a personal hero fo mine. Would love any information you can give a dreamer/beginner such as myself. And hey, why did the Florida costline rise dramatically since 1850? Just curious if tha would impact my searches.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No Spanish Galleons, but Treasure is in the eyes of the Beholder. Easier to hunt some of my sites during Hurricane Season when trying to search the 1715 sites which can be touch and go.

Seeking a Salvager Interested in the Treasures of a Freshwater Lake?
Posted Today at 05:49:59 AM Quote Modify Remove

In my youth, I yearned to find Lost Treasure like Mel Fisher and I scoured the area around where I lived since I lived in Central Florida and not on either the East or West coast of Florida. I'm pushing 60 and I'll probably one day put all these treasure sites into a form of a book. Many of them are already in my book, "Where to Metal Detect in Central Florida". But some I retained as too valuable for that book as the treasures still retain value.
I'm looking for a TH'er who has a trailerable boat with a GPS/Side Scan Sonar and knows how to use it. They should have knowledge of SCUBA or Hookha and know about Black Water diving. I know the laws have changed in Florida about salvage and I'll have to do some checking up on them.
Send me a resume' and how to get in touch. I found one shipwreck, a 70 foot Sternwheeler named the "Emmie" that was burned to the waterline by Hobo Tramps in 1900. Site was pointed out by a local resident who has since passed away. Site is guarded by a 16 foot alligator who will swim by and give you a "eyeballing". :o And you think sharks are a problem. The only treasure its yielded were old bottles, fire bricks, brass spikes and a homemade copper steam pipe condenser. While this ship is visible, other "TH'ing" sites remain underwater. A aircraft savalger named Tohill told me about a P-39 Airacobra wreck in the lake but little was left as the plane had gone straight in. But the Manufacturers Plate still has immense value. You can buiid a full scale P-39 from the ground up and its a experimental reproduction but when you place that Manufacturers Plate on it then it become an Authenic P-39 worth many more times its construction value. Unfortunately he didn't reveal its location. What would parts for a PBY warbird be worth today? A 1944 Jeep? 1930's Jamaican Rum or Bourban? Those are just samples. Not Gold or Silver but collectibles and there is a vast market for collectibles, just check eBay. :thumbsup: :coffee2:

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Aquanut:
Just an update... hung the blaster and canopy porch and have the diver ladder fabricated. All very lightweight. New pics at:

http://www.pixlbndr.com/wrecker/thumbsnewboat/newboat2009.htm

We can raise the blower without a davit! Yahoo! I hope we don't blow it to pieces.
Should be able to dig in about 6 feet or maybe less. Tomorrow we paint and mount hardware for the rear capstan porch.
We want to get in the water before the summer is over !!! Arrrrrrgggggh! But, I hear from the C-10 boat that the water is not good from Sebastian all the way to Green Cabin. Cold water sitting inshore with jelly fish and dirt. This west wind in the afternoon is keeping things dirty. The upwelling comes in just about every year, but occasionally stays for several months. Three years ago during sport'sman days, it was 56 degrees on the bottom in 40 feet of water along the Treasure coast. Brrrrr.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry,

Thats a nice looking boat and blower.To pull it up by hand there will be water suction holding it down.drill some small holes in the top of the blower so it will release.otherwise you will need hydraulics,or a winch or the armstrong method(strong arm)to pull it up.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
She looks lucky to me Terry! Best of luck this year, my guess is the best months in Florida will be September and October anyways, maybe you won't miss much. Thanks for the help the other day, we all appreciate it a lot.

Jason

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John:
The things so light it scares me. We're only running 220 horses, but the wheel is 17 inches, so the volume will be respectable, and the entire tube fits over the wheel... jetboat type of turbine design. If the welds hold on the tube housing and the square tubes do not bend we'll do OK. But, the hinge bolts will have to be replaced by a solid rod with castle nuts, and I am pretty sure we will have to use hog lines to mid-ship gunnels to strap her down (rather "UP") like we did with the Derelict. There is no way to pin the assembly on the stem. There's nothing there to pin to. Derelict was the same way: simple round bottom with exposed wheel and free-floating rudder. Also, we have to build some sort of extension assembly. This last piece will probably have to wait till winter in off-season. The ladder is cantilevered so it will always ride inboard at the dock (you'd be surprised how much angst this can cause when you are trying to pull into a slip with a single engine boat!). By the way, we will be unsetting anchors with the tried-n-true diver-pulling-innertube-and-hoisting-tripline-by-hand method: a surefire way to make men out of boys.

Jason, I appreciate your citation, but, Lubos did most of the work. I am just acting as his agent. Hats off to him, and keep your fingers crossed.

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hey Terry, It looks like you're ready to go!
Times a Wastin'. Good Luck!
Aquanut

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Aquanut:
About a week away from going to work. C-8 boat almost done. Putting on the samson post at the bow this afternoon.
The guy who did all the custom aluminum fabrication is Mark Wiener who owns NAVIS USA in Palm Bay. He is a diver/fisherman too and does major marine electronics besides custom fabrication like this.

Attachments

• newboat7_22_09 001.gif
    newboat7_22_09 001.gif
    180.3 KB · Views: 447
  • newboat7_22_09 004.gif
    newboat7_22_09 004.gif
    204.5 KB · Views: 448
  • newboat7_22_09 005.gif
    newboat7_22_09 005.gif
    183.2 KB · Views: 454
  • newboat7_22_09 006.gif
    newboat7_22_09 006.gif
    160.1 KB · Views: 447
  • newboat7_22_09 010.gif
    newboat7_22_09 010.gif
    194.1 KB · Views: 447

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
looking good terry --- buena suerte---- bon chance ==== good luck !!!

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: Ok, I need a couple of those on the back of White Feather. Really a cool job. Good luck! :headbang: :laughing9: :notworthy:

Attachments

• 1968 CARRI CRAFT 006.jpg
    1968 CARRI CRAFT 006.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 393
OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Terry, Good Luck, You are certainly on your way.
Whitefeather, It' good to hear from you. How's Momma? I hope everything has turned out for the better.
I'm trying to find something on the Gulf coast this coming weekend.
Aquanut

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: Ahoy Aquanut and a good day to everyone else. We have been trying to get everything in order here but it is slow going. Having to wait for paydays is a bummer.
The wife, Sherene, is doing well and has only had normal doctor appointments lately. She still has a bit of a breathing problem with this very hot Florida summer heat but is doing well. The A/C aboard is a lifesaver.
I have had a few setbacks with the maintenance problems of a boat that has set up for a very long time. Fuel tanks that need replacement are the latest in a long line of little issues. The tanks are 41 years old and have a serious problem with the ethinol fuels. They condense water and gum up the tanks, carburators and fuel filters when the fuel is left to sit for several months. I had to rebuild both carbs and replace all filters, 8 of them, and then redo the carbs because I thought that would take care of the problem. There was still more water, sludge and scale in the tanks after having them cleaned. I found out that they had a lot of scale and sludge that can't be removed. The only answer to that is to replace the tanks. Another "wait until a couple of paydays" job. The tanks are about 150 gallons and there are three of them. I want to replace them with stainless and eventually change over to diesels if I can find someone who wants two good running 427's. I had one guy who wanted to trade a couple of old tired small diesels but they needed rebuilding and didn't have all the parts. NOT!

Okay, I've got to run. I'll get back to this later.

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whitefeather, You shouldn't have any trouble finding buyers for the 427's. Are they Ford or Chevy?
Aquanut

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Ahoy Aquanut,
The engines are 427 GM's. Mercruiser only used three Ford engines and none were the 427 package at the time these were built. These have stainless heat risor elbows and all four exhaust manifolds were replaced over the last three or four months with the aluminum versions. I also replaced ALL the exhaust system hoses and replaced hose clamps with stainless clamps. I removed and cleaned out both engine water intake filters and replaced the gaskets. I replaced the port engine's alternator with a much more powerful one that is also an upgradeI am a strong believer in being sure the boat will not spring a hose leak somewhere out in the middle of nowhere. I also carry a compartment full of spare hoses, clamps, engine parts, transmission parts, V-Drive bearings and even spare shafts and props. There are very few parts you can name that I can not produce from the hold of spare parts. And, that also includes the generator's standard needs and some "other than standard" parts. All in all, I am getting caught up with all my overdue preventitive maintenance. Hopefully I will get this puppy out treasure hunting before you guys find all the good stuff.
Gotta Run,
Take Care and keep listening for the BEEP!
White Feather

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Hey Whitefeather,
GM is good! Please tell me that they are FWC. If thats the case, those engines are valuable. If they're Saltwater cooled, they might not be too desirable. The Chevy 427's are much in demand for replacement motors in the old muscle cars.
As far as Treasure Hunting goes, If you have a target let me know!
John

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: Yep! Fresh water cooled. The salt water is for the exhaust and heat transfer log.
I'll find something to go looking for soon. I have a friend who is insisting that I come down to the Keys and anchor out by his place and explore some interesting things he has spotted. I love lobstering with the metal detectors. Ain't that how it's done? Hummm? I gotta get out of this place. The black river water is verry depressing. I can not see the bottom in two feet of water back in here. I'm used to watching the anchor hit the bottom in 30 feet or more and watching the chain just laying on the bottom. Here you can get lost cleaning the bottom of your boat. Bummer!

See Ya Later,
White Feather

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread