aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
CANNON BALLS!!! DID YOU KNOW THIS?

It was necessary to keep a good supply of cannon balls near the cannon on old warships. But how to prevent them from rolling about the deck was the problem. The
storage method devised was to stack them as a square based pyramid, with one ball on
top, resting on four, resting on nine, which rested on sixteen.

Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the
cannon. There was only one problem -- how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others.

The solution was a metal plate with 16 round indentations, called, for reasons
unknown, a Monkey. But if this plate were made of iron, the iron balls would quickly
rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make them of brass -
hence, Brass Monkeys.

Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron
when chilled.
Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would
shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey.

Thus, it was quite literally, cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.
And all this time, folks thought that was just a vulgar expression?

This fabulous bit of historical knowledge is for you few intellectual friends.
Aquanut

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
monkey was the term often used for young agile boys used to supply powder for the guns --thus "powder monkeys" -- monkey a sea going term used for a no brains needed type of job --( ie ) a job so simple a trained monkey could do it. --- holding the cannon balls was a do nothing kinda thing and being it was it was brass thus the term "brass monkey" came into being --- working with the guns was thought as dumb grunt --"monkey - labor" -- Ivan the old salt.

sadly some of todays deck officers when spealking with other officers when they think no one can hear em still refer to "deck hands" or able body seamen as deck apes. (heard it way more than once over the years I went to sea) -- they also say "able body --feeble mind"

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Hey Guys,
True or not, I like my story better... so... "It's my story and I'm sticking to it!"
Aquanut

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Aquanut:
Yesterday we took the boat down to Melbourne and put her in the water to see if there were any leaks in the stuffing box or rudder post. Also ran the Perkins for a while to see how the oil pressure and water temp did under load. Later on in the afternoon the boat was moved to the fabricators in West Melbourne for blaster construction, ladder hanging and canopy setup. Also bought all the ground tackle, dutch trips, bouys, fenders, bow sampson post and extra large stern cleats. We also have a new radio and a used GPS chartplotter/bottom recorder combo which is operational and installed. I will have pics next week or so of the installed blaster/ladder/canopy on the boat. Here's a link to pics of the vessel as she sits on a triple axel trailer...

http://www.pixlbndr.com/wrecker/thumbsnewboat/newboat2009.htm

We have our contract and will be running as boat C-8.

We still have to paint the inside, build stowage for the tanks (scuba tanks that is...) and rack space for our Brownie. Also have a center-deck floor hatch with no combing, so we have to do something about that. The boat has lots of freeboard and can plow Sebastian Inlet, but I still expect water to run back through the scuppers and don't see any need to press our luck.

At the moment, we have 600 feet of bow tackle and 300 feet on the stern tackle. I am thinking for the time being to set hooks with an inner-tube and pull em up the same way, but will keep my eye peeled for a tender of some sort. I have a long shaft 28 horse that I can use on something besides the john boat it sits on right now. When I was a kid, we used to set the stern anchors on the Derelict with an inner tube most of the time and pull them the same way, but that is no job for an old man. I can still do it, but... whewwww. I'm still going to do some diving with the Lobsterman crew in the next several weeks. Maybe I can get some steam up for the C-8 boat when she heads out.

I guess all we need now is some Monkey Balls (?) ;D

By the way, if anybody wants to know what this has to do with the thread, I am just confirming that what we talk about at meetings with one another actually does come to fruition periodically.

ps. broke one of the axels bringing the boat over from St. Cloud to Melbourne. Delta hull: pretty heavy.

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Signumops,
Great to hear from you. It sounds like you'll be in the water treasure hunting before long. I'm sure you'll be a successful treasure finder with this boat. It looks Lucky. Keep us posted. I want to see her dressed up with her blowers.
Aquanut

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
well I now know that the nassau sound wreck is not one of the 8 salvage & rescue vessels sent out from havana by casa torres (the govenor of cuba) when he found out about the 1715 fleet wrecks -- I had heard one had wrecked and was lost -- and thanks to a freind and farther "research" -- it seems that the wrecked salvage vessel sank (in cuba) about 5 leagues (about 13 miles) from havana and she was fully recovered -- and it says that the other 7 vessels were doing fine -- so as of Oct 19th,1715 the 8 salvage vessels are "accounted" for.

being spotswoods letter is dated the 24th, of oct 1715 ( only 5 days later) I can not see how it could be one of them --- so I know its NOT one of the salvage vessels.

so back to the salt mines. more "reseach" is need --- I do know that in letter dated Oct 19th,1715 ---Capt Lima in Havana ,Cuba wrote to the Viceroy of Mexico (Linares) saying according to news reports from st augustine --- " fragments of a large vessel or vessels was found 15 leagues to the leeward of this this port "-----(about 39 miles or so --using the old spanish league of 2.6 miles per league)---- "leeward" (which is a wind direction but is thought to be north* see spotswood letter for guidance on this issue ) of this port ( this port being st augustine where the "news" report came from )

in spotswoods letter it says "about 40 miles northward of st augustine" -- the 15 leagues (39 to about 40 miles distance "rough matches") and via spotswoods letter "leeward" is now understood to mean north"

with 2 referances one english (spotswoods letter might be from info gathered by his spy network in st augustine (which was how Capt Lima found out via a report sent from st augustine)-- the 1715 fleet type items found over the years in the sound had to have a vessel to get there -- the 1715 type fleet items had to come there somehow -- the fleet sank july 30th,1715 and Capt Lima writes of the nassau sound wreckage on oct 19th , 1715 --- 39 to about 40 miles from st augustine is nassau sound **

now admiral salmon on sept 20th, 1715 wrote to the king oif spain from florida -- 9 are wrecked with 2 galloens ( echeverz;s vessels were called " the galleons") missing -- there is lttle doubt they sank in deep waters because wreckage of a large vessels or vessls was found on the (north coast / coast north?) of st augustine -- this badly needs to be first hand checked archive wise . --- its would a easy "translation" mistake to make if one only "word swapped" spanish word for english word without taking the way spanish is spoking into account --- "la casa rojo" --"the house red" in spanish --the noun first the what about it --- in english would be "the red house" --what about it then the noun

thus if the spanish document was word swapped only "on the coast north of st augustine" would actually be " on the north coast of st augustine" -- so it needs to be clear --if in fact it means on the COAST NORTH of st augustine. (then it might be the nassau sound wreck) -- which then would have had to occur prior to sept 20th, of 1715 --- however if its refering to "wreckage found off the north coast of st augustine" --its clearly not speaking of the wreck over 30 miles away.

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Hey Pcolaboy, did you get everything worked out? And , what happened to Relicdude?
Aquanut

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes silver bars have been found. in the past . off the 1715 fleet vessels.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sizes varied on the silver bars of course -- but the atocha type ones were about standardish size as a rule . if I remember correctly ---most were about 50 to to 80 lbs in weight more or less. * the 50 lbers were about as big as 1 man could move --the 80 lbers were 2 man jobs--

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The "Wedge" wreck was nicknamed that for a reason...they found silver wedges (like peices of pie) all over that wreck in the early days.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Look for the book "Spanish Treasure Bars" by Alan K. Craig & Ernest J. Richards

Enjoy!!!!

Chagy.............

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dell Winders said:
The Treasure off the wedge wreck is buried on land.

Thanks! Dell

You may be right!!! And I bet you dont even know why......

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
Tell us more-Orchid the entire island ? Have long wondered if items were discovered/uncovered during recent excavations at the new beach sites near Windsor and other beach front homesites. Seasons at Orchid has an informative display of the shell midden debris in the community center,but wonder about other sites and what has been built over...have met one guy who searches fill for 'stuff'....and,yes, he has neat 'stuff'...
Will request the Craig book via Interlibrary loan---cost only $3....VERY INTERESTING...

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dell Winders said:
Is anyone working the 2 Rio Mar wrecks this year? Dell

Mike ...aka... Skimmer usually works in that area

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Hi Dell, Hi Chagy
Nope, not currently digging anywhere at the moment, boat is up on blocks. Hopefully in a week or so, and then on the Nieves (Colored beach) remnants. Waiting for a cash infusion at the moment. (Aren't we all?)
I have a great deal of difficulty getting into the area of Rio Mar I want to dig...
very tide dependant due to the hard reef. It's a rare day that I can get into the "Dragon's teeth" area. Mo did real good there...wish I could. There's definitely a lot of goodies still there.
Mike

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Skimmer said:
Hi Dell, Hi Chagy
Nope, not currently digging anywhere at the moment, boat is up on blocks. Hopefully in a week or so, and then on the Nieves (Colored beach) remnants. Waiting for a cash infusion at the moment. (Aren't we all?)
I have a great deal of difficulty getting into the area of Rio Mar I want to dig...
very tide dependant due to the hard reef. It's a rare day that I can get into the "Dragon's teeth" area. Mo did real good there...wish I could. There's definitely a lot of goodies still there.
Mike

My dear friend,

I hear you, sorry to hear about the boat in the blocks, I know the feeling (fish out of the water) I dont know if I'm going to make it this summer, I'm also waiting for cash infusion plus Terry tuck my C-# number now I have to change the number in our boat :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread