Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

We decided to get out and do some digging, so Shang and I hit the fields for some long days in the heat. The good news is that we got some great finds, including over 6500 acres of new permissions, bringing our total permissions in several different areas of the state to around 52,000 acres. :headbang:

Here's a video of the hunt:

We hit the fields early, and Shang dug a musket sling hook, which is a great find. He also got some other decent bits, including buttons and a nice pocket watch winder. I was very pleased to flip out a tiny silver late in the day. It was an 1853 Seated Half Dime! :thumbsup:

204_1200.JPG 204_1206.JPG

We were wore out by the 95 degree (feels like 100) heat, so we called it a day, to come and dig again the next day. Started at 5:30am and got out there for a 14 hour day in the hot sweaty fields. Scouted out a new site on some of our new land, so we jumped right in. Pottery everywhere, and some clay pipe stems too--which always means Spanish, or at least Seated Silver! Unfortunately the site was LOADED with aluminum can and trash, but we kept at it and got some goodies amid the bags an bags of can shred.

First score went to Shang with a nice Enfield trigger guard! :hello2:

Then I dug what I believe is a side plate from a musket (can someone confirm this?)

IMG_0697.JPG

Also dug some flat buttons, a couple of gawgag wheat pennies and a toasted Indian, and some other bits. Then I dug a piece of "can" that rang higher and was happy to see that it was actually a piece of silver (probably a plow-destroyed spoon).

Then all of a sudden, I got a signal which (like so many others) I refused to get excited about, even though it was a perfect half real signal. Only this time--it actually was!!

204_1224.JPG IMG_1760a.jpg

Also picked up a nice musket trigger guard, which I really consider a great find. Haven't dug many of these in so intact...

IMG_1762a.jpg

The endless beans--which were fortunately dry for us for most of the day until...we could no longer dodge the clouds. :(

IMG_1758a.jpg

Well, when I say that the skies opened up and it DUMPED, that would be the understatement of the year. Fortunately it was brief, so we did what any sensible diggers would do--we got back out there in the mud and over 100 degree "feels-like" heat, and tried to find some more! Skies were still ominous in the distance, but we kept at it and I got a perfect signal and flipped out a flash of silver which I thought I hallucinated in the heat and humidity. Nope--it was a SILVER QUARTER!!

204_1232.JPG

Turned out to be a well-worn 1907 Barber Quarter. Probably a farmer drop, but I'm VERY happy to have it. This is my 5th Barber Quarter since finding my first one in 25 years two years ago. The floodgate is open! Let the Barbers fly into my pouch!

IMG_1763a.jpg

Anyhow, pretty soon it started raining like a monsoon so we sat in the car and looked through Shang's interesting finds, then we headed home.

Here are some of the other finds:

IMG_0692.JPG IMG_2601.JPG IMG_2604.JPG

On the left, two mystery silver pieces. One is stamped. On the right, what may be the crown from a pocket watch.

IMG_0688.JPG IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0689.JPG

Also dug the top of a lead chess king (middle left):

IMG_0684.JPG

Similar to these:

TheRoseLeadChessSet.jpg

And here is a group shot of the rest of the finds:

IMG_0691.JPG

The 1782 Half Real. I'm really thrilled to add another COLONIAL silver to the total!

IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0695.JPG

Here's the 1907 Barber Quarter. Probably lost well after that date, judging from how smooth it is.

IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0694.JPG

And the pretty little 1853 Seated Half Dime:

IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0687.JPG

Keep Diggin' and Happy Hunting,

-Buck

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 20

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much, my friend! Is that a Connecticut Copper in your profile pic? Great looking coin there!

Yes it is and that's exactly how she came out of the ground. Just a little gentle dry rubbing. My best big copper by far.
At that same site the boy and I each found a Spanish silver along with a 1835 Capped Bust half dime and a pile of old coppers and flat buttons.
One of the owners kids couldn't figure out why we spent so much time there and suggested to Mom we probably shouldn't be there?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is and that's exactly how she came out of the ground. Just a little gentle dry rubbing. My best big copper by far.
At that same site the boy and I each found a Spanish silver along with a 1835 Capped Bust half dime and a pile of old coppers and flat buttons.
One of the owners kids couldn't figure out why we spent so much time there and suggested to Mom we probably shouldn't be there?

That's a great coin, and you were probably wise to dry clean it instead of water. Hope you didn't lose the site because of suspicion...

-Buck

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It never ceases to amaze me the number of half dimes you find down there. :thumbsup:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great coin, and you were probably wise to dry clean it instead of water. Hope you didn't lose the site because of suspicion...

-Buck

Yeah, my luck with old coppers and cleaning isn't very good. Lol At this same site I found a 1794 Liberty Cap Half Cent. We got a pic after I pulled it out of the hole and then lost what little detail we had after it dried out.
We pretty much lost that permission for that very reason. We practically lived there, we hit it so often.
The good part the owner (Mom) likes us and could care less if we detect. She's just trying to keep the peace with the family.
We stopped there to see her one day a couple months ago. The first thing she said with a laugh and a smile was if we wanted to metal detect.
We hit it that day again for a few hours and that's when I got the Capped Bust Half. Waiting for a good long day and plan on going back again. Lol

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hiya Steve! Yeah, mostly we get "O" coins down here. Philly mint is second, and I can think of only one "D" dime, and a couple of "S" war nickels and a lone "CC" seated that were dug in the past 5-6 years.

We do have many more Seated than Barber, due to the age of the sites we dig. Two years ago we had almost a 30 Spanish silver year, so Reales outnumbered all the other silvers combined. But that was a rare year. Probably won't happen again--although I can't say "never." Perhaps the next site we walk into we'll be so lucky!

Cheers,

Buck

Those are some interesting stats, but they make sense considering what it took to cross the country from Carson City or Denver back then. An interesting thing is I've only dug one CC and two O's in all my seated finds. The rest were Philly.

Anyway ,looking forward and knowing the Cane Bandit's record, I'm sure you'll be on lucky soil soon. Cheers and good luck

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing how you guys always seem to dig multiple silver. If you could just get out a little more frequently you would soon have a massive collection. Great post!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It never ceases to amaze me the number of half dimes you find down there. :thumbsup:

Those tiny buggers sure got lost a lot. But I have a theory that half dimes were like the coppers of the plantation south. I think that coppers were in short supply in South Louisiana and therefore everyone had half dimes and half reales in their pockets all the time. We have dug just over 200 pre-1900 silvers here in 5 years, and one would think we should have dug 600 large cents in that same amount of time--but we have only dug maybe 5 LC's, plus a 1722 French 6 Deniers, an 1813 Half Stiver KG III, and a token dated 1819 which may have passed as a copper. Also one hard times token that was LC sized. So I think there were very few copper coins in circulation down here. Vast majority of the Indian Heads we find are 1880s, 90s, and 1900s, with the exception of one toasted Flying Eagle which we dug in a Yankee camp by the river.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, my luck with old coppers and cleaning isn't very good. Lol At this same site I found a 1794 Liberty Cap Half Cent. We got a pic after I pulled it out of the hole and then lost what little detail we had after it dried out.
We pretty much lost that permission for that very reason. We practically lived there, we hit it so often.
The good part the owner (Mom) likes us and could care less if we detect. She's just trying to keep the peace with the family.
We stopped there to see her one day a couple months ago. The first thing she said with a laugh and a smile was if we wanted to metal detect.
We hit it that day again for a few hours and that's when I got the Capped Bust Half. Waiting for a good long day and plan on going back again. Lol

Yeah, it's tough with a really good site. We always wanna hit it often and stay there forever, as long as we're digging great stuff. But folks do notice and begin to wonder why. I'm glad we have so many permissions for that very reason. Always a different place to go, and we try to spread it out.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing how you guys always seem to dig multiple silver. If you could just get out a little more frequently you would soon have a massive collection. Great post!

Already seems to be piling up. We can usually count on a farmer drop with lots and lots of work--and often those are Barbers it seems. Crazy that I have yet to dig a Mercury Dime or Roosevelt down here. Shane has dug one Mercury only. But my hunch is that while the economy collapsed during Reconstruction, people obviously still had money--now perhaps that was Anglo-planters and carpetbaggers coming south, or maybe not, who knows. But for sure, once the Depression hit, the only coins we find from 1930s on are wheat cents and nickels in the fields. Oh--and aluminum tax tokens. We have quite a collection of those. I've stopped posting them, since we find so many.

Best Wishes,

Buck

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great day for sure Buck! Congrats on the old silver & other nice relics.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Buck knocking down a few silvers and relics. I love the double holed real. Very cool indeed.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an epic day . Congrats

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Buck knocking down a few silvers and relics. I love the double holed real. Very cool indeed.

Hiya Ahab! I have one other double holed coin in my collection--a half dime. Wonder if these were made into buttons...

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread