What's new

Spanish Silver

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2009
Messages
2,478
Reaction score
1,966
Golden Thread
2
Location
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the other night on a family supper, my father in-law asked me to take him out detecting sometime. Hmmmmm I thought what a better excuse to take off work and get out for a day of detecting. Tried a site close to home that just didn't pan out so decided to try a field that produces a lot of early coppers and buttons. I had a good feeling that old silver was floating around there somewhere... Yup I was right, managed to get this 1797 2 Reale silver coin. My other Spanish are all from the early 1700's so this was nice to see come out of the ground. Also got a ram rod thimble, dress weight, buttons, buckles, musket balls and crusty coppers. I decided to start collecting the broken glass and pottery for a display idea...
My father in-law did manage a few crusty coppers and buttons, he's very interested in getting out again in the near future...a detectorist is born!
 

Attachments

  • 2 Reale 1797.webp
    2 Reale 1797.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 516
  • 1797 2 R.webp
    1797 2 R.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 525
  • 2015-11-05 PIPI.webp
    2015-11-05 PIPI.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 62
Another great find by a Mass guy- congrats!!

-- Jeff --
 
Congrats on that Spanish silver. :occasion14:
 
Nice.. :thumbsup: That's a pretty lookin reale.
 
A find like that would keep me happy for a few months.
Congrats on a beautiful coin.
 
No thread title gets my attention quite like the words "Spanish Silver". That beautiful 2R did not disappoint.
 
No thread title gets my attention quite like the words "Spanish Silver". That beautiful 2R did not disappoint.

I thought the same thing!
 
Awesome dig!!! I'd love to find a whole one someday! I have 3 cuts but no wholes, haha. Really eye-appealing! It's not rough and worn like the ones I usually see dug from that period (late 1700s-early 1800s reales i mean) Congrats on the crusty coppers too, can't forget about those. ;)
 
Awesome dig!!! I'd love to find a whole one someday! I have 3 cuts but no wholes, haha. Really eye-appealing! It's not rough and worn like the ones I usually see dug from that period (late 1700s-early 1800s reales i mean) Congrats on the crusty coppers too, can't forget about those. ;)

Funny I have no cut Spanish and 10 whole!...funny how it works...the crusty coppers add to the display!
 
Fantastic find Patriot.
In perfect condition. Cant ask for anything better.
Its funny, i have 5 spanish, and not cut pieces either. I think its a north thing??? We had more money back then..
Congrats.
George
 
That's a beautiful Reales! Congrats!
 
Nice find Mr. P. , more than nice, and I don't know what it is about them...well old Silver in good shape, what's not to like, eh ?
I'm not jealous, glad you found this nice looking coin, but it has been awhile for me since a Spanish graced my coil (July 23/14) so I do freely admit I would like one...and soon. Maybe this weekend, two day hunt coming up.
 
Last edited:
That's a nice looking Spanish silver...I too have the 1/2...1... 8 . But no 2 ..maybe soon lol....nice coppers and buttons too. Congrats
 
Nice find Mr. P. , more than nice, and I don't know what it is about them...well old Silver in good shape, what's not to like, eh ?
I'm not jealous, glad you found this nice looking coin, but it has been awhile for me since a Spanish graced my coil (July 23/14) so I do freely admit I would like one...and soon. Maybe this weekend, two day hunt coming up.


I don't feel bad for you.... April 2010 for me! That's any pre 1800s silver for that matter.
 
Awesome coin!!!! Great find for sure!!!:icon_thumleft:
 
My only spanish silver is a half reale. Yours looks a tad bit larger than the one I have. Congrats!
 
Nice pile of relics there Patriot. And great find with that awesome 2 reale - she's a beaut!!
 
I would lose my S*** if I found that coin!!! What a site!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom