Spectrum E Series XLT and Spectrum XLT

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What, if any, is the difference between the two models, and what is a good used price to pay. When were these models discontinued and is repair still possible. I have done some research but still not completely sure whether either of these units will operate with factory program in salt water conditions (wet sand mostly not necessarily wading any deeper than knee high water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the only difference is the E-series has the AA's for the batteries and the regular XLT takes the C's, the AA's are much lighter and the box is alot thinner than the C battery box. You might on the Whites forum they have a place for the XLT to ask questions about certain models. I'd watch paying to much more than you could get a MXT or M6 for as they have alot more coil options. HH

Last edited:

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are identical. The only difference is silkscreen and decals. Yes, they will work at the beach. Just select the "Jewelry and Beach" program, ground balance in the dry and hunt the dry, and ground balance in the wet to hunt the wet. The XLT enjoys a cult-like following that is well deserved. That being said, you can buy a used DFX with its dual frequencies that really does well on the beach for not much more money.

Last edited:

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the only difference is the E-series has the AA's for the batteries and the regular XLT takes the C's, the AA's are much lighter and the box is alot thinner than the C battery box. You might on the Whites forum they have a place for the XLT to ask questions about certain models. I'd watch paying to much more than you could get a MXT or M6 for as they have alot more coil options. HH
You are thinking of the Eagle Spectrum that uses the 'C' cells. It is the model just before the Spectrum XLT (rainbow model) which became the XLT Spectrum E-series just about the same time the DFX Spectrum E-series came out. The XLT and DFX appeared identical, except for the letters XLT or DFX on the coil and control box. When the DFX got a new dimensional coil, the XLT got one that appeared the same, even though they used completely different frequencies.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Whites Spectrum XLT. It is a fantastic general purpose machine. I paid $525 used for mine 10 years ago and it's still worth $400-$500. I will never need to upgrade it. Whites just announced additional parts for it becoming available. I believe it will be repairable with new parts for some time to come. Remember, they made them for more than a decade. They preform at nearly the level of Whites newest detectors. I would go for it and hold on for a bunch of fun! H Digs :)

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep wrong detector, so nevermind about the batteries.
You are thinking of the Eagle Spectrum that uses the 'C' cells. It is the model just before the Spectrum XLT (rainbow model) which became the XLT Spectrum E-series just about the same time the DFX Spectrum E-series came out. The XLT and DFX appeared identical, except for the letters XLT or DFX on the coil and control box. When the DFX got a new dimensional coil, the XLT got one that appeared the same, even though they used completely different frequencies.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's still offers a nice selection of coils for the XLT which is nice. Who has comments about using the various coils??

Thank you in advance..................63bkpkr

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The XLT comes with a good 9.5 inch coil. The 8 inch coil is good but not so much smaller as to make a real difference in target separation. The 5.3 inch coil is excellent. The 3.5 inch coil is great in really readjustment spots. There is a 2.5 inch cook that is so ridiculously small as to be impractical. The 4.3 elliptical does not perform well.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a4wdguy,
Very nice rundown on the coils! A 2.5" coil, wow that is small almost a sunray target probe. Was the 2.5" a White's make or some other coil producer? Do you have any thoughts as to why the 4.3 DD coil does not perform well? Were you using all of these coils in WV and what would the nature of the soils be where you were using them?

Nice old analog gauge in your Avatar, I still love my 6000D.

Thank you for the information......................63bkpkr

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! The 2.5 was a Whites coil. I should've kept it as I've not seen another. When mounted, it looked like a pool stick with the chalk stuck on the end. It made the tiniest of TOT lots look huge too.
I don't know why the 4x6 doesn't fare well. It must be frequency related since the 4x6 on my DFX works a treat.
I've used all these coils in PA, OH, KY, and VA. But primarily in West Virginia. Soil conditions vary from one part of the state to another. From coal fields in the south to dark loam in the north. I forgot to mention the 15 inch trashcan lid. It's a lot lighter than it looks. Though I wouldn't waste money on one again. Being a solid housing, pinpointing is less than accurate. About all it's good for is relic hunting but it's not sensitive enough for anything less than a buried cannon or Volkswagen.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either the canon or the VW could be worth some thing and if the vw was too far gone pieces of it could be fired out of the canon. Ah, boys and toys............63bkpkr

f3user

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2012
North MS
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, XLT, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XLT comes with a good 9.5 inch coil. The 8 inch coil is good but not so much smaller as to make a real difference in target separation. The 5.3 inch coil is excellent. The 3.5 inch coil is great in really readjustment spots. There is a 2.5 inch cook that is so ridiculously small as to be impractical. The 4.3 elliptical does not perform well.

A buddy of mine whose no longer detecting gave me his XLT Spectrum after his dog chewed the coil cable in half! I was already using a MXT Pro and didn't want to spend a lot on a coil that wouldn't be compatible with newer detectors so I searched around and found a Blue Max 600 on ebay for $50. I had to drill the flange ears out to accommodate the larger mounting bolt (If you do this, use a couple different drills to step up to the final size so you don't crack the ears). It works fine! I'd still like to find a 950 coil for it though. My rechargeable battery pack for the MXT also fits it so that's another bonus. It's not hard to learn, but not as easy as a "turn on and go" model with knobs like the M6, MXT, or MXT Pro. It has a TON more features though.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy of mine whose no longer detecting gave me his XLT Spectrum after his dog chewed the coil cable in half! I was already using a MXT Pro and didn't want to spend a lot on a coil that wouldn't be compatible with newer detectors so I searched around and found a Blue Max 600 on ebay for $50. I had to drill the flange ears out to accommodate the larger mounting bolt (If you do this, use a couple different drills to step up to the final size so you don't crack the ears). It works fine! I'd still like to find a 950 coil for it though. My rechargeable battery pack for the MXT also fits it so that's another bonus. It's not hard to learn, but not as easy as a "turn on and go" model with knobs like the M6, MXT, or MXT Pro. It has a TON more features though.

You have a great machine there. White's suggests you return their machines to them for service every 5 years or so. I sent mine back to the factory in Oregon and they gave it a complete check up for $52 and replaced the 950 coil for about $25. They also upgraded my headphones to ProStars with a lifetime warranty for $28. I can't speak for them, but I assume if they did it for me, they will do the same for you. Good luck with the XLT! H Digs

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can also re-splice the cable where it has been chewed for nothing and still use the coil if your handy with a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing or tape. There's nothing magic going on there, just 3 or 4 conductors.

f3user

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2012
North MS
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, XLT, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also re-splice the cable where it has been chewed for nothing and still use the coil if your handy with a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing or tape. There's nothing magic going on there, just 3 or 4 conductors.

I tried that first but it wouldn't ground balance afterward.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread