Spokeshaves

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Although no spokes were around to shave when these were crafted, I think the abos used these to prepare spoke-like objects; e.g. shafts for projectiles, knives, bows, et al. Pic2, leftmost piece, looks to be heat treated and in the same pic, the rightmost piece appears to be a multi-tool. It was sunny when I decided to take these pics but was overcast when I actually pressed the button! Thanks for looking. I can try and get better pics at another time if anyone would like.

DSCN0036.JPG
DSCN0033.JPG
DSCN0037.JPG

Upvote 0

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice examples Tdog, couldn't tell you how many of those I put in my heartbreaker boxes and/or threw in the woods when I was younger not knowing what they were then.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are Spokeshaves from my area of southern Ohio and northern Kentucky. All are Uniface and all but one is a personal find.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    432.3 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    525.9 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    523 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    634.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    433.2 KB · Views: 20

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
So can you please explain further what it is that identifies these to be spokeshaves as opposed to busted or fractured piece. Are some of these broken / then repurposed projectile points. Spokeshave is the notches , I will do some research as well now that I have asked the question. Thanks, trying to learn

outlaws15

Jul 1, 2020
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a person learning as well, will try to explain the best I can.
Spokeshave is not the notches, and it can be a point that broke and then reshaped to make that curve. They are used to shave bark off a piece of wood to make a Spear, just one example of their use could be fat, meat off bone etc....
They don't have to be curved. Im guessing a scraper and spokeshave can be the same thing

So can you please explain further what it is that identifies these to be spokeshaves as opposed to busted or fractured piece. Are some of these broken / then repurposed projectile points. Spokeshave is the notches , I will do some research as well now that I have asked the question. Thanks, trying to learn

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep they used that curve to strip certain bark for cordage as well. Cool pieces if only they could talk.

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
Gotcha. So it’s more the worked curved edge on these. I will be looking through my finds to see if I actually have any that show similar features. Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
Tdog

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The ones I posted are quite thick, never hafted and the large inward curving edges are the working edges (1/4" - 3/8" wide with 1 exception denoted by the arrows).

DSCN0037.JPG
DSCN0033.JPG
DSCN0036.JPG

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Grim nice assemblage, how many years roughly?
T you also have mastered computer stuff to point out exactly what looking for on a tool.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Really nice show point blank. If you’ve already shown your frames, show them again please.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grim nice assemblage, how many years roughly?
T you also have mastered computer stuff to point out exactly what looking for on a tool.

I've collected since 1965 but I found my first one of these around 1983. That would be the one in the first single picture.

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
I thought for sure I’d have some of these, but after a quick dig through , not so sure I do. I’ll post some pics of my possibles later. Thanks for the teaching info

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread