What's new

Spoon ?

rvrpilot

Full Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2008
Messages
146
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
This belongs to my 86 yrs young mother inlaw and she does'nt remember exactly where she
came across it,but has always wondered what it could have been used for? I am looking forward to
any replies, because I would also like to know its purpose.It measures 8" by 1 1/2 " and appears to be made out of steel or iron.

Thanks Rvrpilot
 

Attachments

  • spoon 002.webp
    spoon 002.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 415
  • spoon 005.webp
    spoon 005.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 600
I'm thinking it's a masonry tool for pointing bricks , or a sculptors tool :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Im trying to post cement tool but they say my last post was 25 seconds ago and to try later.

Now it says "You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh."

Ill try to reboot.
 
Upvote 0
mojjax said:
I'm thinking it's a masonry tool for pointing bricks , or a sculptors tool :dontknow:
yep beat me to it. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Are the "spoon" tips thin and fairly flexible?

If so, it could be an artist's painting knife for thick
oil-color pigments.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
mojjax said:
I'm thinking it's a masonry tool for pointing bricks , or a sculptors tool :dontknow:
yep beat me to it. ;D
Sorry about that :tongue3: ;D
 
Upvote 0
mojjax said:
bigcypresshunter said:
mojjax said:
I'm thinking it's a masonry tool for pointing bricks , or a sculptors tool :dontknow:
yep beat me to it. ;D
Sorry about that :tongue3: ;D
I think we are both wrong. I posted too fast.

I have one exactly like it and I was told it was a masonry cement tool but...

my old tool book calls it a "molders tool" and its in the blacksmiths section.
 

Attachments

  • molders tools.webp
    molders tools.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 2,626
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
mojjax said:
bigcypresshunter said:
mojjax said:
I'm thinking it's a masonry tool for pointing bricks , or a sculptors tool :dontknow:
yep beat me to it. ;D
Sorry about that :tongue3: ;D
I think we are both wrong. I posted too fast.

I have one exactly like it and I was told it was a masonry cement tool.

It may be a blacksmiths tool. My book calls it a "molders tool."
Nice ID Bigcy :headbang: Green check time :hello:
 
Upvote 0
They were used for detailing plaster crown moldings. And that is a lost art. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
They were used for detailing plaster crown moldings. And that is a lost art. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
I would imagine these were used for many things such as masonry, art and plastering but my book has them listed with blacksmith tools, blowers and forges so that must be their original intended use.
 

Attachments

  • blacksmith blowers and forges.webp
    blacksmith blowers and forges.webp
    73.8 KB · Views: 469
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help ID'ing this item,can't wait to give my mother inlaw the news!
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Broken knee said:
They were used for detailing plaster crown moldings. And that is a lost art. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
I would imagine these were used for many things such as masonry, art and plastering but my book has them listed with blacksmith tools, blowers and forges so that must be their original intended use.
there listed because they were made by the blacksmith. The intended use is was for plaster molding detail work and used by a person in the trade known as a molder.The blacksmith made tools for everyone. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Broken knee said:
They were used for detailing plaster crown moldings. And that is a lost art. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
I would imagine these were used for many things such as masonry, art and plastering but my book has them listed with blacksmith tools, blowers and forges so that must be their original intended use.
there listed because they were made by the blacksmith. The intended use is was for plaster molding detail work and used by a person in the trade known as a molder.The blacksmith made tools for everyone. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
Are you certain of this? Do you have any evidence to prove it?

OK broken knee. I will go back and study my book. But it doesnt appear to have anything made by a blacksmith. The section is clearly marked "BLACKSMITH TOOLS." It seems to be showing tools used in the blacksmith trade ( tongs, forges, bellows, heaters, anvils, hardees etc) along with prices.

Do you think the book has made a mistake? It does appear to have some nonrelated pullers on the page. Thanks for posting.
 
Upvote 0
Heres another pic. It mentions a stove tool, bench lifter, spoon, and molders' bellows with prices.
 

Attachments

  • molders tools old.webp
    molders tools old.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Heres another pic. It mentions a stove tool, bench lifter, spoon, and molders' bellows with prices.
Bch, I was wrong they are foundry mold maker tools.259. Tools Used In Moulding

The moulder's tool kit is simple and includes articles of the following list, most of which are shown in Fig. 122:

(1) Vent wire for sticking vent holes through the sand of the mould.

(2) Pattern lifter.

(3) Joint trowel and (4) heart trowel for smoothing and finishing the parting and flat surfaces of the mould.

(5) Gate cutter and pattern lifter.
Fig. 122. Moulding Tools.

Fig. 122. - Moulding Tools.

(6) Slick and oval spoon for finishing mould surfaces.

(7) (8) Sand lifters and slicks.

(9) Yankee heel lifter and flat slick.

(10) Flange and bead slick.

(11) Corner slick.

(12) Edge slick.

(13) Bound corner slick.

(14) Pipe slick.

(15) Button slick. (16.) Oval Slick.

(17) Hand rammer for ramming sand in flasks (not shown).

(18) Spirit level for leveling open sand moulds (not shown).

The slickers are used for finishing the surface of the mould after it has been dusted or painted with mould facing.

Additional equipment, usually a part of the foundry outfit, includes:

(1) Small bellows for blowing loose sand from moulds.

(2) Sieves (riddles) for sifting sand.

(3) Brushes for applying liquid mould facing and for dusting moulds.

(4) Small bags for dusting dry mould facing.

(5) Heavy and pneumatic rammers for ramming sand in flasks.

(6) Larger hand tools, as spades, picks, hoe, rake, hand spikes, crow bars, wrenches, buckets and sprinklers.
 

Attachments

  • Fig-122-Moulding-Tools.webp
    Fig-122-Moulding-Tools.webp
    15.4 KB · Views: 310
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Heres another pic. It mentions a stove tool, bench lifter, spoon, and molders' bellows with prices.
Bch, I was wrong they are foundry mold maker tools.259. Tools Used In Moulding
Wow the tool in question is very very close to the plasterers tool (#6). :icon_thumright: TN is a constant learning experience. Ill bet there is a similar Masonry tool.

Foundry mold makers tool toll it appears to be.
 
Upvote 0
so its a tool used to make a mold for foundy work ( hot metal casting * )
 
Upvote 0
watercolor said:
Are the "spoon" tips thin and fairly flexible?

If so, it could be an artist's painting knife for thick
oil-color pigments.

Looks like a pa latte knife to me also.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom