What's new

Spur of the moment question.....

coosakid

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2016
Messages
611
Reaction score
970
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just from reading a few post, some people act like quartz points are rare or hard to find... But that's pretty much all I've ever found around here?
 
Upvote 0
Just from reading a few post, some people act like quartz points are rare or hard to find... But that's pretty much all I've ever found around here?

My impression is that they are plentiful in VA, NC, & GA. Did I leave off any other states? What is hard to come by is one that is beautiful and could kill. All the ones I ever found were very degraded ... or they were not made very well (thick and stubby). I found a triangle that was thin and well-shaped, but it was about 1" and missing its tip.

1~6 are quartz found between 1966-1968 in VA and Ft. Bragg, NC.
All-Points1_zps3101f19a.jpg



--Guy
 
Last edited:
I've never seen a quartz point west of Colorado
 
A few I've found from Alabama.... Some are definitely better than others..... Everything I've ever found in a creek has been wore and smoothed down
 

Attachments

  • 1480592071595.webp
    1480592071595.webp
    39.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 1480592099577.webp
    1480592099577.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 83
Actually its just the opposite the flint ones are harder to find. Most states up north find nothing but quartz. I live and hunt in a valley so to speak and I dont find much quartz but do find mostly flint. Now you tell me would you want to find white quartz or this?
 

Attachments

  • SDC10553.webp
    SDC10553.webp
    369.6 KB · Views: 99
In RI and southeast Ma., quartz is the most common lithic. These are all RI. Frankly, I get sick of quartz, but when they're nice, that helps some...

image.webpimage.webpimage.webp
 
Some more personal finds from RI.....

image.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webp
 
I've never seen a quartz point west of Colorado

Very abundant in California. We have a member who digs a site out there and he often posts some real beauties....
 
There is a reason that quartz NOT the first choice of rock for the modern day flintknapper. My thought is the rock was there, abundant and they used what they had.
 
The site that most of my quartz points are found also produces gem quality artifacts from a number of materials . There's a large amount of creek and river cobble but they sure liked the magic of rock crystal .
 

Attachments

  • PC102566 (640x480).webp
    PC102566 (640x480).webp
    58.9 KB · Views: 91
  • PC102567 (640x480).webp
    PC102567 (640x480).webp
    58.5 KB · Views: 84
I don't find very many quartz points down here in Southwest Georgia. The ones that I have found are normally crude and I assumed that the material was brought in for some reason.
 
95% of what I find in Northern MD is Quartz Or quartzite love them but I get excited when I find something different.
 
Maryland here ..... Probably 90% of my collection is Quartz they sometimes seem plain but I love how they look when held up to light here's a few of my favorite quartz points ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480636840.869432.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480636854.670627.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480636872.522734.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480636887.174330.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480636902.224717.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480636927.025234.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480636943.061850.webp
 
Good looking points from all around the U.S!!! Finally got some good rain this week, so hopefully I'll find a new point or 2 this weekend to show. Anyways appreciate y'all sharing your finds and thoughts
 
Very abundant in California. We have a member who digs a site out there and he often posts some real beauties....

Interesting. Ok I've never seen one in Colorado, Nevada, Idaho, or Utah. :)
My brother found a white point in New Mexico. Not sure what it is, it doesn't seem as crumbly as quartz, or as stabile as chirt.
 
I just read my response and it sounded a bit rude but didnt mean it to be. I dont find many whole quartz pieces but when I do I like them just as much as the flint ones. This is my biggest whole point I have found and its made from a yellow quartz. I got lucky enough to get ahead of my friend while out and found it before he did. He hasnt taken me since, haha
 

Attachments

  • SDC11538.webp
    SDC11538.webp
    525.4 KB · Views: 90
  • SDC11542.webp
    SDC11542.webp
    247.1 KB · Views: 80
I think there's different types of quartz.... Not sure??... But around here it seems like some is more solid than others, the milky quartz that is....and any I've found in a creek is wore and stained
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom