What's new

Square nail fishing hooks?

Dig-MV

Full Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2014
Messages
106
Reaction score
696
Golden Thread
0
Location
Martha’s Vineyard
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep finding these old nails bent into a J shapes on my dredge sand beach. Could they have been makeshift fishing hooks in the 17-1800s? The sand came from the bottom of the nearby harbor. Historic fishing and whaling harbor. Let me know what you think
 

Attachments

  • 2499EFB8-9040-4C68-930E-2017D5737042.webp
    2499EFB8-9040-4C68-930E-2017D5737042.webp
    352.2 KB · Views: 89
Clench nails. They are bent like that to hold thin strips of wood together to make a clinker-built/lapstrake hull.

Clenching.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That makes sense thank you for the fast reply
 
Upvote 0
I found a couple just like those last week at a colonial foundation way out in the woods. No chance of a boat around, could they also have been used for clapboard siding? I actually thought they were nails for ox or horse shoes.
 
Upvote 0
They could also be from a door. It's called dead nailing. Hence dead as a door nail.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom