What's new

Squirrel or beaver effigy?

Freemindedclark

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2017
Messages
372
Reaction score
669
Golden Thread
0
Location
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
20171001_052745_HDR.webp20171001_052729_HDR.webp
 
Upvote 0
Can I show other angles around the curves? Admit was suspicious of the title of the post but piece looks interesting.
 
of course its natural
 
not a flake or mark on it.....natural
 
The lack of flakes or marks does not mean this is not man made. Catlinite effigies are perfect examples. Many native stone tools and adornments are ground. As for this I don't know without seeing more angles or knowing if it comes from a confirmed NA site. If it was just found at random with no nearby native stuff I would say probably not. If it was found near NA stuff I would say a solid maybe. If it was catlinite I would say probably.
 
Maybe it's native American brass knuckles or I guess stone knuckles
 
I have doubts (a lot) but the round humps have me interested in seeing more pictures. Would like more context of where found. Every time I see title effigy always skeptical but shape is odd. I def would have picked this up if at a site to ask for second looks. Like to see if any marks around edges of the humps
 
Last edited:
It was found on the 7 mile creek in an area hopping with artifacts. I will get more pics. Natural. Lol.
 
I would have liked to see the interior surfaces of the indentations as well. How can I know if those indentations have not been pecked and ground in if I can't even see them?? Sure it's likely natural, but I've been collecting for 60 years and I have found many rudimentary waterworn notched weights because I picked up a "possibility" and was able to detect pecking in or around the notches even though waterworn. Of course this is not a notched weight nor a squirrel effigy. But I would have picked it up to more closely examine the notches, which, again, do not show their interior surfaces in these photos. And I don't think I would need to take up stamp collecting just because I wanted to satisfy my curiosity....
 
look at it this way...if someone took the great amount of time to fashion that stone, with all the pecking, grinding and smoothing....they would have taken the short amount of extra time to make it obvious as an effigy.
 
Can we see more pics? Close ups of the interior and edges.
 
I'm no expert but that appears to have been pecked to me.
 
Probably a Indian nut cracker shaped like a squirrel . Is that what you are looking for on this piece? Its natural
 
Looks water worn sorry I was pulling for you to be onto something.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom