Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a coin with an amazing history. The coins were widely circulated in West Jersey (Southern New Jersey). It is reported that the coins were found in change well into the early 19th century.

Has anyone heard of one being dug? The only ones I see for sale on eBay are not dug coins.
I live only a few miles from where Mark Newby lived after bringing the coins to the colonies from Ireland.

Attachments

• StPat-1-Vlack5-D_obv_med.jpg
    StPat-1-Vlack5-D_obv_med.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 121
I have read reports of dug St. Patricks, unfortunately I don't remember the details.

I have contention with the widely distributed statement and have spoken with several members of C4 about it and I have seen and heard of only one being found and that was this year or last year by a friend in Burlington County, you met him at a club meeting Neil. If they circulated as stated I would think many more would have been found by detectorists....

Don

Don in South Jersey said:
I have contention with the widely distributed statement and have spoken with several members of C4 about it and I have seen and heard of only one being found and that was this year or last year by a friend in Burlington County, you met him at a club meeting Neil. If they circulated as stated I would think many more would have been found by detectorists....

Don

Don:

I think I remember reading about that in the numismatic journal. I would love to see a photo of Wayne's find

I have read two conflicting versions of the plight of the Newby coppers, one which I already stated, claiming that the coins were widely circulated for many years, the other claiming Newby died and the coins were worthless and no one knows what happened to the coins.

For more info about these coins check out http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/StPat.intro.html

Wayne and I both discussed about if we ever heard of any being found and neither of us had, until Wayne started tumbling some of his horribly shaped coppers and after tumbling he noticed one of them was a St Patrick's Farthing. The sad part is, he does not know the location of where he found it, says he found it 10-15 years ago somewhere in Burlington County.......

Don

Attachments

• StPatrickFarthingWayne.jpg
    StPatrickFarthingWayne.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 125

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back