What's new

Staff officer cuff.

JDug

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2012
Messages
990
Reaction score
805
Golden Thread
2
Location
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I committed to digging everything today in 2 previous hot spots and it payed off. The staff button is in bad shape but I'll take it.

image-3958143089.webp



image-3400962100.webp



image-3509625.webp
 
Upvote 10
You know, I only have one single staff officer cuff in 21 years of digging. GREAT find!

-Buck
 
metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice finds JDug!
 
At some point in the life of a good spot you need to start clearing all, if you want the right outcome.:thumbsup:
 
BuckleBoy said:
You know, I only have one single staff officer cuff in 21 years of digging. GREAT find!

-Buck

Thanks, It actually looked better before I cleaned it. The aluminum jelly didn't work this time. The gold just flaked off to reveal more green corrosion.
 
JDug - Where we dig staff buttons they come out looking like this too!! USE Ammonia with soap in it (you can buy it @ Wal-Mart with the lemon soap) IT WORKS WONDERS on these buttons!! Few days of repeating the ammonia process or it could clean up right away! Pretty sure it should start cleaning up pretty quick!
 
Here is my before and after shot of a Cavalry button I dug that I used Ammonia with soap on and within 3 days came out this good... I use it on all my buttons that are two piece with brass or gold plating. I can't even begin too say how good of a cleaning agent it is.
 

Attachments

  • c.webp
    c.webp
    5.4 KB · Views: 127
  • P5250158.webp
    P5250158.webp
    699.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
HutSiteDigger said:
JDug - Where we dig staff buttons they come out looking like this too!! USE Ammonia with soap in it (you can buy it @ Wal-Mart with the lemon soap) IT WORKS WONDERS on these buttons!! Few days of repeating the ammonia process or it could clean up right away! Pretty sure it should start cleaning up pretty quick!

Can I mix ammonia and dish detergent ?
 
Yes.. BUT DO NOT DO IT!!!!! (sorry for caps) you can but I wouldn't advise it mate! You can buy the soap already mixed in with it @ Wal-Mart for like $1.79 for a big chug of it. Ammonia is pretty harmless stuff you can splash it on you, inhale the fumes and be okay! But if you mix it in with bleach or anything in that nature you can be in for some SERIOUS problems.... NEVER MIX AMMONIA WITH ANYTHING UNLESS IT IS SOAP MIXED IN BY THE MANUFACTURE! (sorry for caps again) Sorry for all this but I know a guy who tried mixing ammonia in with some soap that had something in it and he ended up in the ICU for almost a week. Again Ammonia is sooo harmless until you start mixing it with stuff... But anyway IT WORKS WONDERS for two-piece buttons with brass or gold plating...

This is my first Confederate State Button of the year (2013) North Carolina found in a hut. You should have seen how this looked out of the ground, within 4 hours of cleaning it with ammonia this is what it came out with. Also look above on the last post you just posted and look at the Eagle C (since we were both typing @ the same time)
 

Attachments

  • P5080101.webp
    P5080101.webp
    763.7 KB · Views: 91
  • P5080092.webp
    P5080092.webp
    505.8 KB · Views: 95
Also if you do want too try it, it will be best too clean it with water and a dry towel and get the jelly you put on it off then use ammonia.
 
Yes.. BUT DO NOT DO IT!!!!! (sorry for caps) you can but I wouldn't advise it mate! You can buy the soap already mixed in with it @ Wal-Mart for like $1.79 for a big chug of it. Ammonia is pretty harmless stuff you can splash it on you, inhale the fumes and be okay! But if you mix it in with bleach or anything in that nature you can be in for some SERIOUS problems.... NEVER MIX AMMONIA WITH ANYTHING UNLESS IT IS SOAP MIXED IN BY THE MANUFACTURE! (sorry for caps again) Sorry for all this but I know a guy who tried mixing ammonia in with some soap that had something in it and he ended up in the ICU for almost a week. Again Ammonia is sooo harmless until you start mixing it with stuff... But anyway IT WORKS WONDERS for two-piece buttons with brass or gold plating...

This is my first Confederate State Button of the year (2013) North Carolina found in a hut. You should have seen how this looked out of the ground, within 4 hours of cleaning it with ammonia this is what it came out with. Also look above on the last post you just posted and look at the Eagle C (since we were both typing @ the same time)
Those came out dam good. I'll be going to Walmart in the am... Thanks!
 
Actually you should just wipe the jelly off with a towel and not run water over it! Good luck!
 
You know, I only have one single staff officer cuff in 21 years of digging. GREAT find!

-Buck

They use too be fairly common too find in Fredericksburg/Stafford/Spotsylvania area til about 2003.. But now they are about as rare as a Confederate button, think most MDers got em outta the ground.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom