Started as a bottle hunt

VaJim

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2008
Hey everybody a newbie here,My girlfriend and i were digging some bottles out of a ravine behind an old homeplace i found while i was turkey hunting.Most of the bottles ran from about 1900 to 1930 or so.Anyway this spot was about spent so i went looking to see if i could find another spot that they had dumped.I hadn't gone 100 yds. and i found another home place,it was getting late so i told my girlfriend i would come back and detect it.The first thing i dug was a 1936 merc. dime then a buffalo nickel which were in the same time frame as the bottles we were digging.The next thing that came up was a nice union breast plate, now that will get your blood to pumping .The next thing to pop up was a copperhead,time to go,i hate when that happens.see ya'll and good luck.

Attachments

• breast plate.jpg
    breast plate.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 568
Upvote 0

Nuttdriver

Mar 9, 2008
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/stock 5"x8" coil, NEL Snake 3.5"x6.5" coil and NEL Hunter 12.5"x8.5" coil.
Shadow X2 with 4" (coin sniffer in trash), 7" and 9" coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find Jim!
After I almost stepped on a 5' Western Diamondback rattlesnake metal detecting, :o :o I ALWAYS hunt with the left headphone off. The rattlesnake was rattling, but I couldn't hear it until it was almost too late. I stumbled across a copperhead once, but he was on a mission. He took off when he saw me with my long handle digger.
I'm not afraid of snakes, I just don't like surprises!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Eagle Breastplate! How deep was it? My machine hits very solid on those breastplates. What did yours sound like?

OP
OP
V

VaJim

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2008
{Sentinel} said:
Nice Eagle Breastplate! How deep was it? My machine hits very solid on those breastplates. What did yours sound like?
Hey Sentinel it was down about 9 maybe 10 inches.the machine was screaming, i use a minelab explorer 2 i got it about 4 years ago,i love it. When i bought it my girlfriend was living and working in Chester,Va.,there was a small patch of woods behind her shop.We got permission from her boss to detect it and had a blast.It had been hunted hard for years but there was plenty of stuff to find.It's a place called The Bottle,General Beauregard had Gen. Butler and about 65,000 troops bottled up there for almost a year.We found alot of stuff,if i get a chance i'll try to post some of it,well good luck. VaJim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread