steel ss# card

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
i did not know were to post this but after some thought i would post it here. i was digging in a old bottle dump years back and found a steel SS# card#406-01-7186. and the name on it was Lawrence Roland Owens. i did look it up on the SS web site. and found out he was born in 1919, Nov 25th and died in 1962. i have looked up on grave yards and kygenweb and other sites but could find nothing about him. i just know that he was issued his SS# in KY. i dug it in bowling green , KY. i was going through my find and the last few night looking on the web trying to find some thing about him , i just would like to know if he had kin and if they would want it for a keep sake. thanks for any help :)

Attachments

• ss# steel.jpg
    ss# steel.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,308

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might check the county tax rolls. If he owned property when he died, someone would have to pick up the taxes, usually wife or children. Monty

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Monty said:
You might check the county tax rolls. If he owned property when he died, someone would have to pick up the taxes, usually wife or children. Monty
thank you Monty. i will do that. in that dump i found bottles from the 1800 on up to the present and old hotel dish's and it made me think that this was a old hotel that he might have worked for. thanks again :)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I've never messed with any of them, but there are some good genealogy sites on the web, you might give one of those a shot... I just wanted to check in to see if it was one of the cards I had lost through the years... ;D
Good luck with your quest, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
well i found out were he died, in allen co , ky. they had a web site and i put a post up there so maybe some kin might reply.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
My good friend Jose Xavier de Flamingo wishes to purchase it from you- no questions asked- ;)

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
CHKNHAK said:
Keep us posted on what happens.
i don't think ill ever find the guy,s kin :-\ i forget to look on roots web to see if they have a bowling green KY board. i found the card there. also i found a old dog rival dog food tag here in owensboro ,KY i called ever Kemp in the book trying to find her kin and no luck. i don't want a pat on the back to find and return these things to there kin , i just thought that they would want them as keep sakes :)

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
gypsyheart said:
Cool Find Jon...I posted it on a couple of genealogy sites also for you...Good Luck finding kin...
thank you gypsy :) these things might not mean to much to us after you find them after awhile but then start thinking about who were these people , what were they like , do they have kin that would want these :) the dog tag i found, i found out she died in 1962 same as the man that once had the card. :)

A

Aguila

Hope you succeed with your mission. I have one of those ss cards too. This one was my grandfather's. Good shape for as old as it is.

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Aguila said:
Hope you succeed with your mission. I have one of those ss cards too. This one was my grandfather's. Good shape for as old as it is.
i don't really know how old the card would be :-\ i think FDR started ss#. i don't know if the gov ever issued a steel one? i take that back i think some one post that they were issued a steel one in the army.

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jon43 said:
Aguila said:
i don't really know how old the card would be :-\ i think FDR started ss#. i don't know if the gov ever issued a steel one? i take that back i think some one post that they were issued a steel one in the army.
Actually I have one and I can remember my Mom in the 60's ordering it for me...only it was made by some company then that was associated with social security....not sure who....Good luck to you.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had one too. Looks familiar. I think mine was different.
Those old restarant dishes could be valuable.

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Yes...it is really old. My dad had one just like it....he was born in 1916. Good luck finding some kinfolk!

OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
tabfinder said:
Yes...it is really old. My dad had one just like it....he was born in 1916. Good luck finding some kinfolk!
i have not been on here in awhile. thanks for the reply.i have not been on the computer to much but its time to get off my butt and do some detecting and some searching to try to find these people who are kin to theses others who had this card and tag :)

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
they use to sell them in the sunday paper way back in the day or rather you could order one from an add,the cost was like five bucks for a stainless card.
nice find,good luck in trying to return it.

Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread