Sterling silver water pitcher

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like everybody else on here got a sterling silver score lately. I haven’t found anything for about three weeks worth while. Went to the local consignment store they normally have something. Nothing until I go in the back room behind all this other silver plated stuff was this! All English hallmarks. 768 g. Just had it checked and it’s Sterling. Going home to look up the hallmarks more but not bad for $13! It doesn’t even need polished. Whoever took it there must’ve cleaned it before they consigned it. I’ll have to update with the hallmarks I can’t get a good picture of them.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515524142.698180.jpg

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy chit, good way to start the year. Might take a bit to find someone who can afford it!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a treasure. More than one time I've found old English hallmarked silver overlooked. Sometimes the marks are in odd places outside of the base and they may have not seen them at all. My oldest English silver found in a thrift shop are a pair of cast old lion marked sterling silver candlesticks hallmarked 1750.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy chit, good way to start the year. Might take a bit to find someone who can afford it!

I really don’t want to sell it. But I’m going put it online and see if there is any interest. The whole marks on the bottom are in excellent condition. There’s five of them. Funny thing is it’s been sitting on the shelf since December 28 the girl said when I went to pay for it. probably the best piece I’ve ever found not weight wise but definitely oldest. It’s amazing there’s no dents in it there’s one spot that could be buffed but other than that it’s in awesome condition.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a treasure. More than one time I've found old English hallmarked silver overlooked. Sometimes the marks are in odd places outside of the base and they may have not seen them at all. My oldest English silver found in a thrift shop are a pair of cast old lion marked sterling silver candlesticks hallmarked 1750.

I kept telling myself there’s no way this thing is real. No way I can see a lion Hallmark on it and reading posts from you guys on the site before I was like well for $13 it’s coming with me no matter what. then I went in the corner of the store and look-up the Hallmark HC on my phone. The store is very particular though if it’s dirty they’re not gonna put it out so I’m curious if they had other pieces and they turned them back over to the person that was going to consign them or maybe I should go back and look and see if there’s more tomorrow. There’s probably not anymore but I just got excited about this one in my hand and thought hurry up and pay and get out of there before another antique collector or someone walks in and says hey what’s that?

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY MAN!! GREAT FIND!!!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept telling myself there’s no way this thing is real. No way I can see a lion Hallmark on it and reading posts from you guys on the site before I was like well for $13 it’s coming with me no matter what. then I went in the corner of the store and look-up the Hallmark HC on my phone. The store is very particular though if it’s dirty they’re not gonna put it out so I’m curious if they had other pieces and they turned them back over to the person that was going to consign them or maybe I should go back and look and see if there’s more tomorrow. There’s probably not anymore but I just got excited about this one in my hand and thought hurry up and pay and get out of there before another antique collector or someone walks in and says hey what’s that?

That is a great find! Also you made a super key move by hurrying up and paying to get it out of there!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stupendous Find! One of the best pieces I’ve seen in a while! Now let’s talk about buckling up that precious cargo when you drive!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find! Also you made a super key move by hurrying up and paying to get it out of there!

I’ve been in that situation where someone says hey let me see that and sticks their hand out. I fell for it one time and I handed it to them and they bought it and I wanted to kick that guys butt in the parking lot. Now people say to me, hey let me see what you have? There is no way! Pay and run away! Hahaha

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stupendous Find! One of the best pieces I’ve seen in a while! Now let’s talk about buckling up that precious cargo when you drive!

I wrapped it in my daughters blanket in the car and tucked it under the center console in my van. She is 6, said daddy, lets have a tea party! NOPE! Ill get you a tea set honey !

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to add some more pictures because I don’t think that one I put does it any justice.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515557844.260812.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515557880.903980.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515557900.771440.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515557931.543488.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515557975.529374.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515558002.463983.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515558025.509413.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515558048.042931.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515558069.303520.jpg

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a keeps. Not you standard pitcher. Congrats.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that's a good possibility they might have more pieces of a set that pot went to. I'd be doing some more frequent visit there. I've seen that happen in a thrift store. More and more silver comes out on the shelves and then it stops. It's like they've obtained someone's collection some how. Every big thrift store around here has gotten real good at understand the meaning of the word sterling, but silver with odd hallmarks do at times find their way through all those who sort donations. I've got stuff from Germany, Russia, England and France that I picked up at Antique shops, flea markets and thrift stores for less than scrap value, just because they don't say sterling on them.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to add some more pictures because I don’t think that one I put does it any justice.

Oh yeah, that's a genuine period piece. That's exactly how the silversmiths made the superior pieces back then. No telling what you could sell that for 4, 5, 6 times the spot value? I'd hang in to it for now. I'm hoping we'll see another upswing in silver prices before I get to old. I think the odds are good that'll happen someday, but when who knows.:dontknow: At least you got something you could liquidate instantly if need be.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread