Stick With It - Its not IF, but WHEN youll find the good stuff!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stick With It - It's not IF, but WHEN you'll find the good stuff!

The wife offered lunch at the Frosty (her treat), if I would take her someplace - just to get outta Dodge!
I was planning on going somewhere anyway, so I said I'd think up a place, on the way out there!
We headed to the river, back to a place I had found some interesting old stuff there already.
The area was small anyway 150' in dia., and I had hunted it pretty good twice in the past,
so I was hoping for that one last item, I might have missed......well I missed a 2005-D Zincoln cent,
AND a 1902 Indian Cent AND a 1864 Indian Cent...!!!
The two Indians were two ft apart, so kinda a spill?
Anyway, this was a first for me, after seven years detecting, finding two old coins in a single hunt!

So, if you are discouraged, don't be, remember, its not a matter of IF, but WHEN you'll find the good stuff!

Upvote 11

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice, not-with-standing some good sites some of the time, if you dig enough holes there will be something good in one of them. You definitely need some patience for this hobby.

Congrats on your 2 IH's

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
for most of it requires putting the time in swinging, hoping to actually be in a place where something good can be found but as i am learning, anything can be anywhere. I call it being pleasantly surprised at something totally unexpected being dug out by me. so yes, if you put the time in, it is a matter of when. (some people are very fortunate to find something good right off the bat, sort of like a beginner hunter killing a monster buck but as a whole, most do not).

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish i had something very profound to say here but you all said it all. I agree :occasion14:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have now been metal detecting for 7 full months. One thought keeps popping into my head over and over again. What do I do when I've hunted all the good places nearby that I can get permission to hunt? What do I do then? Where do I go?

Anyway, that thought just popped into my head as I was about to agree with what everyone said above.

Congratulations on the 2 IH pennies.

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have now been metal detecting for 7 full months. One thought keeps popping into my head over and over again. What do I do when I've hunted all the good places nearby that I can get permission to hunt? What do I do then? Where do I go?

Anyway, that thought just popped into my head as I was about to agree with what everyone said above.

Congratulations on the 2 IH pennies.

Me again - yeah, the Indians were a welcome find, as I was at a point of asking myself "What now, where to go next?"
Well I hunted there several times after that, finding other turn-of-the-century stuff, even older - a 45-70 shell (perhaps
the military stopped there...?)
You never seem to hunt-out a site, there's always something you missed....
Gotta love this hobby! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread