Still learning - need advice please

IDigVirginia

May 5, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F4, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to posting, but I have been reading all of your posts on this forum and they are so helpful and great. I have searched for plenty of answers to my questions, but I have a few more. Hopefully someone can help.

I started with a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 about 2 years ago. Like detecting so much I decided to quickly upgrade to the Fisher F4. I was so excited that I would detect literally any chance I had a free moment. I think the F4 has killed my enthusiasm. The thing constantly beeps at nothing. I ground balance as directed in the manual. I lower sensitivity to one or two bars which pretty much drives me nuts. Why pay for a machine that you can't even use to its potential. So now that I've eliminated the chance of finding anything that is deeper than 1 inch below my detector the beeping slows down a bit, but I STILL get WAY more false hits than I think should be normal for a $400 metal detector. I live in Southwest Virginia and I understand that the soil is probably mineralized, but when a friend borrows my Discovery they find plenty of hits and its always accurate. When it says something is there, its there. The F4 drives me nuts to the point that I want to pitch it in the creek and take up bowling. I literally have to stop every 5 feet to check false readings.

So first question: What the heck am I doing wrong? Or is this detector just that obnoxiously chatty?

Question 2: Would upgrading to something else help? I still enjoy watching Diggers, youtube detecting videos and I want to go out and detect until I remember that I want something that will find more than the discovery, but doesn't annoy me like the F4.

Question 3: I hope this doesn't start a firefight and I do realize that this has been discussed on several forums but I don't think I understand. If I were to upgrade I would be looking at either the AT Pro or AT Gold. I understand the frequency difference. I understand Pro has notch and gold does not. I understand the gold will find small nuggets at a deeper location. What I don't understand is why I am told by forums and "professionals" that the Pro is for coin shooting/relic hunting and the Gold is for gold hunting/relic hunting. I've seen the show diggers...they nail a coin every other dig with those AT Golds they have. Doesn't seem to be an issue. The only negative I can think of with the Gold is that I can't take it to the beach. Well I'm ok with that, I only go there on vacation occasionally and I'll take the discovery or F4 (If I must).

So what will I regret about not getting either the AT Pro or AT Gold. What I don't want to do is get one and wish I got the other, because $600-$700 is a lot to spend and then wish I had don't something different.

Question 4: Anyone want to trade an AT Gold/Pro for a Fisher F4? j/k lol

Thanks everyone. Good luck out there.

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you do, don't give up. I'm an ATPro user, and do like my machine, but you should have some success wth your F4. I'm not sure it's anything you're doing wrong. Does your user's manual have a troubleshooting guide? Go the the Brands forum, on here, and get in the Fisher discussions. Someone there can help you. Fisher has always been a good name in metal detectors. Hang in there, and moving forward.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long shot, but did you wrap the coil cable tightly around the shaft? If it's sloppy and loose, you will get false signals.

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get a signal and you dig down and don't find anything, keep digging it may be deeper than you think!
-sb

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F4 operates at 5.9kHz so if you are using the big 11" eliptical, make sure you have a good even ground balance (none of that "slightly negative" malarky!), slow WAY down on your swing, and get ready to do a little experimenting with your discrimination. You should be getting big coppers at 12"+ :skullflag:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with the F4. I would also suggest that you review how you set up the machine, including basic setup. Try visiting YouTube and watch a few videos. There are a lot of them. Start with a simple program and like Terry said, go slow and low. Take a good look at where you are detecting. There may be overhead transformers or power lines that can create electro magnetic interference. I understand how frustrating it can be if others are finding targets but you are chasing ghost signals. Don't give up.
If you decide to upgrade to a Garrett, I would recommend the AT PRO.
I used the PRO for a few years and it is an excellent machine. However, since you mentioned "The beach",
the PRO is submersible to 10 feet but doesn't do well in salt water. I have nailed a few gold rings in fresh water though. As far as finding coins, gold, relics, etc., it will find it all depending on depth and the program you are using. Learn your target I.D numbers, but more importantly, learn the audio tones.
Good luck with your decision and welcome to TNet

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

IDigVirginia

May 5, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F4, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it just so happens I went on a trip to Pigeon Forge, TN this weekend and stumbled upon a man selling an AT Pro on craigslist for $400. Came with the box, book, headphones, and headphone jack cover. I feel like it was a pretty good deal. I got to try it out for about 30 minutes today so I didn't get a real taste of what its like yet. Still have to read the book. Any advice for a noobie when it comes to the PRO? Thanks.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the Garret YouTube videos and most of all..... Be patient. It's a great machine but you have to learn it. Good luck!

HH, Relic Nut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread