Still need ID help with a The Gem jar! Anyone have a Red Book?

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still need ID help with a 'The Gem' jar! Anyone have a Red Book?

Hey Everyone,

A little while ago I posted about a 'The Gem' jar I recently acquired: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/bottles-glass/487272-unusual-gem-jar.html

I did get a little help from Bass and AnthonyCoil (thanks again guys) but I didn't ask for ID help in my original thread title, so I'm hoping this new title will get more attention. One of you's gotta have a Red Book, or know someone who does! Or I'm just hoping someone will see the jar and say, 'boom, okay, I know exactly what that is, I can help this kid out'. I heartily welcome any debate amongst yourselves about this jar, conflicting details could be revealing.

The jar is 9 inches tall, looks like a cup bottom kind of mould, but yeah the lettering is what stood out to me. I have not seen this kind of bold elongated lettering on any HFJCo, CFJCo, or Ruth.&Co gems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you,

John

DSCF5404.JPG DSCF5421.JPG

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old copy of the red book (no 3 from 1978 haha) doesn't have this, all the ones in it are base embossed

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you bottlehunterofcoscob for taking the time to leaf through it anyway!

None of the jars in your edition have similar lettering then eh? I think that HFJCo and CFJCo gems usually have the base embossing, but I dunno. My hunch right now is that maybe it's some kind of Rutherford variety - I've seen a few without base embossing before and some pretty varied styles of lettering. Also I'm in Southern Ontario and so was Rutherford & Co., so maybe it's more likely that Rutherford gems would end up around here.

With that said, we're still looking for a definitive answer. Thanks again bottlehunterofcoscob!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions