Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

I'll keep this short. I returned to a section of woods where I recently found a William iii halfpenny and a nicely gilded Navy button. I hunted for about three hours without much to show for my efforts. I hit a reasonable signal along side a stream...not a great signal, but I figured worth a look.

At the bottom of the hole was an incredibly small coin. Thought it might be a trime...but seemed too small.

oaktree 2 pence 4.jpg oaktree 2 pence 5.jpg

It wasn't until I got it home that I realized what I had found...a 1662 Massachusetts Oak Tree Twopence coin. Honestly, I didn't even know that they minted a two pence coin. Not sure what variety it is, so will need to do some research. Can't begin to describe how excited I am. This is my oldest coin, and I doubt I will ever find one older.

oaktree 2 pence 8.jpg oaktrr 2 pence 7.jpg oaktree 2 pence 1.jpg

This was literally the only coin I found after three hours of digging. You can see my other finds below. Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has any thoughts about the specific variety of the coin, please feel free to share. HH

Oaktree 2 pence 6.jpg

Upvote 197

Portagee Digga

Greenie
May 28, 2022
Greetings!

I'll keep this short. I returned to a section of woods where I recently found a William iii halfpenny and a nicely gilded Navy button. I hunted for about three hours without much to show for my efforts. I hit a reasonable signal along side a stream...not a great signal, but I figured worth a look.

At the bottom of the hole was an incredibly small coin. Thought it might be a trime...but seemed too small.

View attachment 2025794 View attachment 2025795

It wasn't until I got it home that I realized what I had found...a 1662 Massachusetts Oak Tree Twopence coin. Honestly, I didn't even know that they minted a two pence coin. Not sure what variety it is, so will need to do some research. Can't begin to describe how excited I am. This is my oldest coin, and I doubt I will ever find one older.

View attachment 2025796 View attachment 2025797 View attachment 2025798

This was literally the only coin I found after three hours of digging. You can see my other finds below. Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has any thoughts about the specific variety of the coin, please feel free to share. HH

View attachment 2025803
Wow wow Bless you on the awesome incredible find. I'd be crying and shaking.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
As requested, here are a couple better pictures of the coin.

View attachment 2027418 View attachment 2027419
Incredible that your coin still has the rocker press smearing of the legends so clearly visible, from the dies literally stretching the flan. I really like the diecutters crude handiwork that's apparent on ma silver, one example of the few varieties that display reversed/backwards letters is definitely on my wishlist.
Another big congrats 👏

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible that your coin still has the rocker press smearing of the legends so clearly visible, from the dies literally stretching the flan. I really like the diecutters crude handiwork that's apparent on ma silver, one example of the few varieties that display reversed/backwards letters is definitely on my wishlist.
Another big congrats 👏
And it does look like a Noe-30

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Greetings!

View attachment 2025794 View attachment 2025795

View attachment 2025796 View attachment 2025797 View attachment 2025798

View attachment 2025803
Congrats. I would have fainted if I found that lol.

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only ever heard of that coin once,in a thread somewhere. And I never saw one, you've found the holy grail I'm thinking. Kick back and savor that sucker, and possibly get a safe to put it in.. congrats,that's some big shoes to fill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread