cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been dying to get out, but the ground here in the Berkshires is still too hard to get to. So I traveled south today in between appointments and found softer ground in nearby Connecticut, and just randomly parked the car as soon as I saw some open woods. Literally turned the Deus on and got a decent signal within the first couple sweeps under an old log. Figured it was a can because it sounded kind of big, but once I got under the log I could hear multiple signals.

First to come out was a Seated quarter, I couldn't believe it! Then another, and still there were signals in the hole, started to get pretty excited. When the dollar came out I nearly lost it, I couldn't believe my eyes! First dollar after 16 years detecting, I actually thought it was Seated because of the other coins, but then I saw the beautiful Morgan design!

IMG_0257.jpeg

Coins were coming out packed together, all in the same hole, I thought maybe I stumbled on a cache. Then I started finding bits of cloth mixed in the soil so I guess it could have been a purse or bag. Took a picture at the car and then after I got home, but I didn't want to mess with them too much because I like the way the corrosion looks where they were smashed together.

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpeg

The Morgan is 1885O, such a beautiful coin. Seated quarters are 1873, 1876S, 1877, and 185?, I think 55 but I don't want to remove the green. Dimes are 1877 and 1891, only one V nickel is legible 1890, and the IHs are 1864, 84, 86, 87, 96, and 3-95s. there was also a super-corroded Largie in the hole, never seen one that chewed up, not sure why.

IMG_0276.jpeg

Very cool to see the cents that were firmly packed together show areas where the copper is bright. Also never seen that before.

IMG_0275.jpeg

Still can't believe it, such a random one-in-a-million spot in the woods and I turned my machine on right next to it. One of the best finds I've ever had, already a great year!

HH,
Steve

Upvote 111

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not a “COIN SPILL”

These guys were making $8 to $10 a WEEK

Little over $1 a day.

That’s $200 to $250 in today’s money!!
Not candy money.

Should make you appreciate those seated quarters a little more.

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!! That’s awesome Cheffer, great job brother!!!!!!!!!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know in pa, loggers in the 1870's were making 5 dollars a week.....which was a pretty average lower class working salary back then.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats on such a huge score! It must have been quite exciting to have multiple 1800s silver coins coming out of the ground. What an experience! I dug up an old wallet last year with two Morgan silver dollars, so I can relate to your experience. Good for you - great for you. Banner vote submitted.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The spill is impressive enough as is, but there is nothing, and I mean nothing, like seeing a silver dollar down in the hole! Well, except for a gold coin, but that's besides the point... Awesome find! Joe told me what town you were in, I actually lived in that area until the age of 13. I know of LOTS of potential spots in that neck of the woods! Congratulations again on an awesome find!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is an awesome find! Somebody wasn’t happy about losing it! But I have to know something of detail in order to employ it in my own hunting tactics. I’m not looking for specific information on the site, as in...”What are the coordinates”. I’m more asking...was it land owned by the city? County? State? Private? Any idea? It’s sounds like it was just a “random woods”....paraphrasing the OP. Do people do this? Is it common? Does anyone care? Without knowing specific ownership of the property, if it indeed was NOT known....how exactly do people “make this fly”?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder how many Tnet members drove right past that spot over the years....
Congrats on the epic find!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Great finds! I would definitely be going back there to check it out a little more! Congratulations! Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is an awesome find! Somebody wasn’t happy about losing it! But I have to know something of detail in order to employ it in my own hunting tactics. I’m not looking for specific information on the site, as in...”What are the coordinates”. I’m more asking...was it land owned by the city? County? State? Private? Any idea? It’s sounds like it was just a “random woods”....paraphrasing the OP. Do people do this? Is it common? Does anyone care? Without knowing specific ownership of the property, if it indeed was NOT known....how exactly do people “make this fly”?

Hey IDX, thanks for the post and I totally get it, I'm always looking for what other TNetters are doing to find "random woods" that could produce...and yes, it matters a lot to me that I don't trespass or dig on someone's private property. My father and mother were very early detectorists and taught us to respect landowners' rights. Plus, the guys I go with are all on our local PD so I have to behave myself :wink: This particular spot was at the far edge of a sports complex park close to the town center that I knew about but never went to before. I drove around the property until I saw woods that looked good (by good I mean there wasn't a lot of snow, or undergrowth, and it didn't look like a party spot, most of you will know what I mean by "looked good"). Walked in away from the furthest field up a small slope with very old trees and turned my machine on.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply said that was truly awesome.I believe it took me two years to unearth similar silver.CONGRATS.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey IDX, thanks for the post and I totally get it, I'm always looking for what other TNetters are doing to find "random woods" that could produce...and yes, it matters a lot to me that I don't trespass or dig on someone's private property. My father and mother were very early detectorists and taught us to respect landowners' rights. Plus, the guys I go with are all on our local PD so I have to behave myself :wink: This particular spot was at the far edge of a sports complex park close to the town center that I knew about but never went to before. I drove around the property until I saw woods that looked good (by good I mean there wasn't a lot of snow, or undergrowth, and it didn't look like a party spot, most of you will know what I mean by "looked good"). Walked in away from the furthest field up a small slope with very old trees and turned my machine on.

Good man! That’s what I was wondering about, and what the limitations are in different states, counties, etc. Since you had a bead on it before, it makes more sense now that you would’ve looked to begin with! Had me going there for a minute...:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good man! That’s what I was wondering about, and what the limitations are in different states, counties, etc. Since you had a bead on it before, it makes more sense now that you would’ve looked to begin with! Had me going there for a minute...:icon_thumright:

I should have been more specific, but it really was "random", this spot is too far from home for us to make a quick hunt of. Don't know how it is in Wisconsin, but in Mass a lot of limitations, understandably because there are so many historical areas. Even on DCR property you can't detect anymore. Still a lot of public lands if you know where to look

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely amazing find- Congrats!! You simply never know what's going to come put of the ground, especially in our state! You give me hope that after 30 years, maybe I'll sniff out that elusive silver dollar.

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
Finally great finds that represent the hobby of detecting. What a feel it must be to find such a group of coins that have been in the ground for many many years. The historic years of toning that are common with coins that has been in contact with the soil cannot be compromised of nor can they be faked. I for one VOTE BANNER !!! If it means anything I do not give out banner approval unless the find has a feel such as yours. Great Find, Great Luck, just goes to prove you just never know what the next signal will bring... My hat is off to you, I am impressed !!! Jim

checkitout

Nov 30, 2015
Wellington NV
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - Sovereign GT - Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin cache

I've been dying to get out, but the ground here in the Berkshires is still too hard to get to. So I traveled south today in between appointments and found softer ground in nearby Connecticut, and just randomly parked the car as soon as I saw some open woods. Literally turned the Deus on and got a decent signal within the first couple sweeps under an old log. Figured it was a can because it sounded kind of big, but once I got under the log I could hear multiple signals.

First to come out was a Seated quarter, I couldn't believe it! Then another, and still there were signals in the hole, started to get pretty excited. When the dollar came out I nearly lost it, I couldn't believe my eyes! First dollar after 16 years detecting, I actually thought it was Seated because of the other coins, but then I saw the beautiful Morgan design!

View attachment 1907002

Coins were coming out packed together, all in the same hole, I thought maybe I stumbled on a cache. Then I started finding bits of cloth mixed in the soil so I guess it could have been a purse or bag. Took a picture at the car and then after I got home, but I didn't want to mess with them too much because I like the way the corrosion looks where they were smashed together.

View attachment 1907003

View attachment 1907004

The Morgan is 1885O, such a beautiful coin. Seated quarters are 1873, 1876S, 1877, and 185?, I think 55 but I don't want to remove the green. Dimes are 1877 and 1891, only one V nickel is legible 1890, and the IHs are 1864, 84, 86, 87, 96, and 3-95s. there was also a super-corroded Largie in the hole, never seen one that chewed up, not sure why.

View attachment 1907006

Very cool to see the cents that were firmly packed together show areas where the copper is bright. Also never seen that before.

View attachment 1907007

Still can't believe it, such a random one-in-a-million spot in the woods and I turned my machine on right next to it. One of the best finds I've ever had, already a great year!

HH,
Steve
You had the Magical Deus. Gotta get me one.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great find.Keep coming back to see it. Sounds like it was lost in 1895 from the I.H"s.

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Thanks for sharing all the Great Coins I guess you used the XP Deus goldnugget

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Find! Just finding the dollar would be amazing alone but wow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions