cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been dying to get out, but the ground here in the Berkshires is still too hard to get to. So I traveled south today in between appointments and found softer ground in nearby Connecticut, and just randomly parked the car as soon as I saw some open woods. Literally turned the Deus on and got a decent signal within the first couple sweeps under an old log. Figured it was a can because it sounded kind of big, but once I got under the log I could hear multiple signals.

First to come out was a Seated quarter, I couldn't believe it! Then another, and still there were signals in the hole, started to get pretty excited. When the dollar came out I nearly lost it, I couldn't believe my eyes! First dollar after 16 years detecting, I actually thought it was Seated because of the other coins, but then I saw the beautiful Morgan design!

IMG_0257.jpeg

Coins were coming out packed together, all in the same hole, I thought maybe I stumbled on a cache. Then I started finding bits of cloth mixed in the soil so I guess it could have been a purse or bag. Took a picture at the car and then after I got home, but I didn't want to mess with them too much because I like the way the corrosion looks where they were smashed together.

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpeg

The Morgan is 1885O, such a beautiful coin. Seated quarters are 1873, 1876S, 1877, and 185?, I think 55 but I don't want to remove the green. Dimes are 1877 and 1891, only one V nickel is legible 1890, and the IHs are 1864, 84, 86, 87, 96, and 3-95s. there was also a super-corroded Largie in the hole, never seen one that chewed up, not sure why.

IMG_0276.jpeg

Very cool to see the cents that were firmly packed together show areas where the copper is bright. Also never seen that before.

IMG_0275.jpeg

Still can't believe it, such a random one-in-a-million spot in the woods and I turned my machine on right next to it. One of the best finds I've ever had, already a great year!

HH,
Steve

Upvote 111

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread