What's new

Stone tool ?

TJE

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
1,159
Golden Thread
0
Location
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This 'almost pecfectly round' stone..larger than a hardball 'baseball', but a bit smaller than a softball came from the same area as the 'mall/mallet tool pictured here as well. Seems to be of the same 'grainy' texture? Any info/I.D. ?
Thanks in advance.
 

Attachments

  • 2013-02-21 13.28.06.webp
    2013-02-21 13.28.06.webp
    69.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 2013-02-21 13.42.08.webp
    2013-02-21 13.42.08.webp
    74.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 2013-10-29 19.06.46.webp
    2013-10-29 19.06.46.webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 2013-10-29 19.07.09.webp
    2013-10-29 19.07.09.webp
    68.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 2013-10-29 19.07.31-1.webp
    2013-10-29 19.07.31-1.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0
The round one is a very nice hammer stone used in flint knapping.
 
Last edited:
you will have to see if thier is any worn smooth places in it were it was lashed to a stick,lots of war hammers around your area
 
Any use wear? That may indicate what it was used for. If it were a hammer stone, it would be somewhat beat up in areas.
 
I think that over exposed photo is looking straight at a battered end.
..... I think..
 
Thanks for the info folks...I'll take a few pics again to show here shortly...thanks again.
 
Here's a few more pics...rotated to opposite side.2013-10-29 20.39.22.webp2013-10-29 20.39.54.webp2013-10-29 20.41.37.webp2013-10-29 20.43.31.webp2013-10-29 20.42.23.webp
 
i see some flat spots on it i think,im sorry though as i do not know,best guess is hammerstone
 
jamey what is that in your avatar?
 
a kachina doll.bear spirit he is.got him at an estate sale i like em.
 
jamey what is that in your avatar?

You could at least make some sort of comment on the item this thread was started for.
Just saying.
 
You could at least make some sort of comment on the item this thread was started for.
Just saying.
Heh heh heh! ...no big deal GB :)....I kinda getta 'kick' outta all our small talk.:laughing7:
 
Sorry It just caught my eye and I couldnt turn away from it
 
Looks like a nice hammer stone to me. Nice Find! :thumbsup:
 
Looks like a nice hammer stone to me. Nice Find! :thumbsup:
Hi old digger, shows how much I know!....when discovered, I was thinking it would work good for mashing/crushing raw plants & meat for dinners! :{)
 
Those hammer stones were used in percussion flaking when manufacturing different types of artifacts. Thanks for sharing your find.
 
Those hammer stones were used in percussion flaking when manufacturing different types of artifacts. Thanks for sharing your find.
Thanks for the info old digger...So...it was just held in the palm of the hand?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom