What's new

Stone tools found in 60s

Nancy Olympia WA

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Stone tools found in 60's

Hi all - This is my first post looking for information on tools my dad found back in the 60's digging near our barn on small farm on Puget Island in the middle of the Columbia River Cathlamet, Washington. There were also lots of arrowheads but I don't know what happened to them.

I've searched and searched here and the internet but can't find anything similar. Help is greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • Stone tools 006.webp
    Stone tools 006.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 478
  • Stone tools 008 resized.webp
    Stone tools 008 resized.webp
    42.9 KB · Views: 353
Upvote 0
Re: Stone tools found in 60's

Nice pestle in the middle , not sure about the others...welcome aboard.
 
Re: Stone tools found in 60's

Welcome. Just trying to help..
 

Attachments

  • Stone tools 006.webp
    Stone tools 006.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 393
Re: Stone tools found in 60's

:hello2: Thank you TnMountain - very helpful.

What do I have there?
 
Re: Stone tools found in 60's

First object could have been used to smooth pottery, similar stones from other cultures are used for that purpose.
 
Your first piece looks like a piece that often gets called a hoe around here. I don't think they are hoes, but do think these are artifacts. I have a couple of them, found in NC. My pieces have one thin side at its base, just like yours. Your second piece is a nice pestle. No question there. The third, I'm no help to you. Cool looking though!
 
i believe i would call that a "bell pestle" ....the black rock does look like a ceramic burnishing rock, i have found them too, the only problem is that your area does not have a ceramic tradition. could you give me a better picture of the hole in the middle of the round rock? it looks a lot like a glendonite inclusion, i have found quite a few of those in your area.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom