Stop making excuses....

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
_lOl_CoinShooter_lOl_ said:
Im sorry when its a 107deg heat index im not gonna fight the sweat rolling in my eyes.... ;)

I agree, and the older you get, the less you can tolerate the heat/humidity, it wears you down faster. I can hunt for about an hour or 2, max ,when it is hot, then I need to quit.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Dimeman said:
_lOl_CoinShooter_lOl_ said:
Im sorry when its a 107deg heat index im not gonna fight the sweat rolling in my eyes.... ;)

I agree, and the older you get, the less you can tolerate the heat/humidity, it wears you down faster. I can hunt for about an hour or 2, max ,when it is hot, then I need to quit.

I know some places get the heat and humidity really bad...Steve in Arizona has mentioned that it is really bad there now...It must be because he is a coinslinging jewelry machine and his numbers have been down lately :(... Not to many here that could or would want to try to compete with him!

He is one of the people I use for motivation...I look at those that are successful and learn...listen..to what they say...

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I have a higher heat tolerance than most people, it runs in our family. I have also seen people hit with heat stroke/exhaustion at temperatures most of us can easily handle and it can be really scary. Once you have had either of these conditions you will be more susceptible to these problems in the future. LOTS of fluids in advance and during hunts will help dramatically. The other day in the desert of Utah I was drinking 44 ounces of fluid an hour, and didn't have to "go see a man about a horse" for several hours. Know your body and don't take chances with your health.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
utah hunter said:
I have a higher heat tolerance than most people, it runs in our family. I have also seen people hit with heat stroke/exhaustion at temperatures most of us can easily handle and it can be really scary. Once you have had either of these conditions you will be more susceptible to these problems in the future. LOTS of fluids in advance and during hunts will help dramatically. The other day in the desert of Utah I was drinking 44 ounces of fluid an hour, and didn't have to "go see a man about a horse" for several hours. Know your body and don't take chances with your health.

Very well said...I ran to the water fountain today after hunt!

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
That's why I usually hunt early in the morning, by the time it heats up I have already put in several hours and can go to la casa to cool out. Then if I go back out , it is in the evenings untill dark. When I was younger I could handle the heat better, but now it seems to handle me.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
piggman1 said:
That's why I usually hunt early in the morning, by the time it heats up I have already put in several hours and can go to la casa to cool out. Then if I go back out , it is in the evenings untill dark. When I was younger I could handle the heat better, but now it seems to handle me.

Yes... my hunts are early too! ;)

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
When I don't hunt when I WANT to, then there is only ONE reason I'm not and thats my daughter. Its not even an excuse, she wants to play with Dad, then the detector is put away!! I hunt when its HOT, when its dry, when its raining, cold, alone or with someone. I hunt places where many won't go or go armed(like today). I'm always careful enough to have first aid, a phone, drinks, and know when I need to take a break!

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When my kids were small, I ran into a woman detecting in our local park with an infant in his carriage beside her and her 4 year old twins playing on the swings. I wonder how she concentrated on digging with the two little ones running amok, but she managed. I guess it kept her sane. :D

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
hey now.. whats the happs?

the less guys detect, the more stuff for me to find! :P

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Hey everyone this post was created to get some general reaction and it did....Seems heat is a problem for most of us now...I got out 7 of the first 8 days in August and that was pushing it for me! Taking a few off. Obviously the heat can be a real problem for all of us! Everyone best of luck and I think I am carrying a cooler for now on....Last hunt I was so exhausted at end of hunt I tripped over water fountain and almost broke my dfx....I do not have a back up....maybe next year....

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lots of water and gatoraid in the cooler for sure gregg ! and take care of that dfx for sure ;)

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1st of all your health comes 1st and i dont care who you are if you are out in the middle of the day and it is like 95 0r more and you have a heat index pushing it over 100 you are not to smart.I have played golf in that kind of weather and it was pretty exhausting plus we were drinking water constantly.and riding a golf cart is not nearly is bad as swinging and digging.So please IF YOU HUNT IN THIS WEATHER,BREAK OFTEN AND DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF FLUIDS!!!
2ndly,this year has been very dry and i have not yet seen anyone who can dig a hole and not have it turn brown when the ground is dry 6" deep....
Personally i dont hunt much in the summer,but in the fall and spring i hunt in the rain and the mud.A couple years i even hunted in december as it did not freeze,but i was wearing thermal undies and carharts!!!!!!!!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I agree with many...as I get older, the heat is unbearable for me...I won't even take my kids to the beach during "prime time"...we usually go early in the morning or late afternoon, early evening...less crowded (I dislike crowds...I need my space :)...especially from tourists!!!) and the boys can still swim while I detect.

They swim with the direction I am moving in and I always face the ocean. My back is NEVER to my kids (which means, I am walking backwards detecting up and down - water to dunes - which I do like better).

And I prefer to detect after a good rain, makes this clay soil we have much better to dig in, well, better if we didn't have rain :).

And I don't mind walking in the rain, when it's misty or just sprinkles...but I prefer not to detect in the rain...rain is made for walking in with your lover, hand in hand!!! ;)

But with the storms we have had lately...you won't see me out there with all that lighting...a few bad experiences as a kid with that stuff, enough to scare the dickens out of me and I'm not afraid to say that at age 51, I am terrified of lighting!!!!!!!!!

I also tried detecting in the heat of the day, and had to head to my car and get the a/c going....dizzy, clamy....sick to my stomach...I was approaching that HEAT STROKE stage and did not like that feeling...so I learned, a few clad coins and costume jewelry is not worth it to me...I do it cause I enjoy it, it's great exercise, I've lost weight (29 pounds since January!!!) and I love finding things....so it's a hobby for me, not something I dwell on and say, "I must get out and detect"...I have so many hobbies, haven't completed one of them yet!!! (Cross-stitching, genealogy, started coin collecting, metal detecting, camping, boy and cub scouting and then I had to go back to work cause I wanted more interaction with adults!!!)...

So, for whatever reason you do this, for whatever reason you come up with for not going out and detect,....well, so be it....where one may detect 7 days a week and come home with a few clad coins, foil, pull tabs, etc....that one day you go out and come home with a 14K gold ring!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Hunting all and be safe out in this heat...really feels good today...it's only 75 right now at 5:16 pm and we will be heading out soon to the beach (if hubby ever gets done working on this new truck he bought....MEN and their toys...geez!!)

LOL.......Annmarie
PS: Kudos to that man with the oxygen going out detecting....I wish him many more safe hunting days to fullfill his days....people like that give you inspiration that anything is possible if you put your mind to it!!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
rain, cold, mosquitos, wind, tall grass, all no problem, but i friggin hate the heat and humidity! when im sweating like a stuck pig it takes all of the fun out of the hunt, and if its no fun id rather do it on another day. :'( sorry if ya dont approve but thats the way it is. ;)

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Any day that chases people away, is a good time to play.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Sorry Greg ,this a hobby not a job.Hunt when conditions are right for you and when you can enjoy it.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
LI Tom said:
Sorry Greg ,this a hobby not a job.Hunt when conditions are right for you and when you can enjoy it.

Finding every excuse not to hunt...<<<<get it Tom.....this post was created for fun and interesting answers and I think we got some great ones and I am sure there is some great advice in here. The key was the words every excuse. The point being people who just use any reason not to enjoy the chance for a fun and interesting hunt... ;)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
hollowpointred said:
rain, cold, mosquitos, wind, tall grass, all no problem, but i friggin hate the heat and humidity! when im sweating like a stuck pig it takes all of the fun out of the hunt, and if its no fun id rather do it on another day. :'( sorry if ya dont approve but thats the way it is. ;)

Agree...the heat as the cold can be a real stopper....Or be safe with short hunts and water as most have suggested...Good point.. :)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Mirage said:
weather, mosquitos, pain, etc don't stop me. Usually it's the whole life priority thing. There is no such thing as not having the time - it's just not a priority.

Bob

Agree like anything else...we must decide how important everything is and in which order to prioritize them....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread