Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I agree, however anyone hunting in the rain should assure they have a good rain coat for their detector, too. Otherwise you may find that is the last trip with that detector.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
lost at sea said:
I agree, however anyone hunting in the rain should assure they have a good rain coat for their detector, too. Otherwise you may find that is the last trip with that detector.

I will usually hunt under the trees in a downpour and pop out in between. I have a cover on mine and once did get a steamed up screen...cleared after about an hour...

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
Didn't say I wouldn't detect in the heat, just saidit was too hot, I like to hunt for hours before I get tired...not 30 minutes, but yet, unless it's lightning bad, or torrential rain, I hunt....and in the heat...just drink a lot of water...hey...if ya don't hunt ya don't find right?..... ;D

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
rommelvon said:
Didn't say I wouldn't detect in the heat, just saidit was too hot, I like to hunt for hours before I get tired...not 30 minutes, but yet, unless it's lightning bad, or torrential rain, I hunt....and in the heat...just drink a lot of water...hey...if ya don't hunt ya don't find right?..... ;D

That is right! ;)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
weather, mosquitos, pain, etc don't stop me. Usually it's the whole life priority thing. There is no such thing as not having the time - it's just not a priority.

Bob

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the heat and humidity wears me out at 50, i have to work in it 40 or 50 hours a week so i kinda hate to play in it , love this detecting but i want to keep it fun and not like a job for me so if only get an hour in thats ok i know i''ll get more in later and plus it keeps the wife happy, she's not big on detecting at 100 degrees either ;)

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Some folks it's a time thing, they work long hours and don't have the time to detect afterwards or just plain ole dont feel like it. Some folks it's an age thing, they are too creaky to swing a coil constantly. Some folks it's a health thing, their (fill in the blank) hurts and they can't swing a coil a lot.

My grandpaw tells me we detectorists of today are spoiled rotten little brats, with all our nifty little machines and computerized readouts. He tells me he used to detect 25 miles a day, uphill to and from his horse and buggy, barefoot in the snow, in the middle of august with the sun blazing down, with a 4D battery on his back to power his 45 tube transistorized coil, and two loudspeakers on each shoulder to hear it with since they din't have dem ole fancy schmancy head phone things and used a pick he had to carve with his bare fingers out of petrified wood to dig it with.

Now THAT is dedication!

When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep like ole grandpaw did... not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car did.

I detect when I can, but lately it competes with going out on the boat on my one day off, so I get it when I can, then again I have stopped places, beached the boat, stuck the pole in the ground and swung a coil waiting for a bite... best of both worlds that way.

Aaron

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
packerbacker said:
Right now I'm rescuing a baby from a burning building, can detecting wait a minute? ;D

No. If you have time to sit at a PC you could be detecting instead.

Full points off. ;)

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I hunt year 'round... I have pictures of me here detecting when it's six (6) degree's out!

I feel the same way about riding my motorcycle - year 'round...

However, at some point it does get rediculous.

My safety and comfort wins over saying: "I detected in the rain... " I have nothing to prove to anyone!

I don't do this to survive, I do it to relax and enjoy...

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
i love the rain and the cold so it wouldnt stop me, but i hate heat so that would probably stop me going out to detect.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
When it´s raining (Not Pouring), you tend to get better signals anyway

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Weasel has it right, you must keep this hobby fun, not like work or you will not last. So if you like cool dry days than so be it. Some of us like the mixture to grin and bare I guess. But it is a choice we all have to make.

Keep it fun and good hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread