Sep 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then I noticed the Avon stamp inside :unhappysmiley:
IONpZhn.jpg
Still, it was my 1st gold 'toned' ring w/ the AT Pro, so there is that.

Upvote 18

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling the fat ring. It will look nice in your collection of finds. My heart would have been racing once I noticed it in the hole.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There isn't much that can make you forget to breathe like a chunky ring or one of those darned shiny aluminum tokens lol.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! Sorry it's only gold plated. There will be more and better!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
some of the avon bling is plated over sterling...check it out

OP
OP
wmpwi

wmpwi

Sep 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
some of the avon bling is plated over sterling...check it out

Yeah, well not this one.

Truth be told, this is going to be a problem for me anyway. For the last month I've been thinking about this little park (very) nearby, but was / am very apprehensive about doing any hunting there. It's on a small lake directly across from an expensive condo complex, in the middle of an small upscale suburban city, nestled between a busy restaurant and the local police station.
I got so itchy late yesterday that I rationalized it had been raining and now drizzling, it was 53 degrees outside, it was about 6:30 and getting dark out , and it was a Wednesday evening. I figured I might be able to sneak in for about 1/2 hour without being molested. I spend 20 minutes over in the shadows where a few trees obscured me from view and I found .27 all clad. I was wet, cold and it was getting too dark to see what I was doing so I headed back to the car, swinging the coil on the way. I figured I'd have to hit just the right signal to bother with another dig and really hoping not to. I had the AT Pro on standard coin because I really didn't want to be tempted by anything that wasn't easy. Within 15 yards, I hit what I figured was a coin of some sort and switched to Pro Zero. It read like 2 - 4 inches, but closer to 2. I stuck the trowel in and pushed open a slice, not dug a plug, but just enough to stick the pinpointer in. I got a beep so it was there and shallow (approx 1 -2) and I didn't even have to make a hole. Saw it, choked a bit, rationalized it was probably too gaudy to be real, and slunk back to the car quickly. While it was clearly not real, it was still a win and normally I would be buzzed up over it, but now I've got this gnawing urgency to go back and spend some serious time there. Doing so will only lead to the eventual confrontation with someone less accepting of my hobby. There's the rub. I like to avoid confrontation when possible, but this will likely make it more inevitable. Almost better had I found nothing at all than something that fueled my enthusiasm for this little park.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, we've all found a couple of those heart stopper disappointments...but it's all good to me. As for the little park area, with the police station so close why don't you just pop in and let them know you will be hunting there? If they get any calls or complaints you will be all set, they can inform the people of the laws without the trouble you think you will get.

OP
OP
wmpwi

wmpwi

Sep 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, we've all found a couple of those heart stopper disappointments...but it's all good to me. As for the little park <snip>, they can inform the people of the laws without the trouble you think you will get.

That's a good idea and it will probably come to that. Just not sure when.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DING DONG AVON CALLING .....

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You would have had to rececitate me lol! Proves your detector can find the goods. Best of luck out there!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a screwdriver often in grassy public areas, this tends to make you less scary to the public in my experience. Screwdrivers work really well on most shallow signals, Heres a picture of my driver.

4_26_2015 lost signal kids ring.jpg

OP
OP
wmpwi

wmpwi

Sep 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a screwdriver <snip>

I'm glad you brought that up. I've been meaning to ask someone about that. I've seen some videos where probes (and screwdrivers) are used, but it seems like that would be very difficult. It seems like everything I find is 2 - 6 inches deep and I have trouble pinpointing them. That translates into a soup can sized hole that often becomes a soup bowl sized hole. I can easily see myself poking around in the dirt with a screwdriver for quite some time before tapping the target. Does it take a great deal of practice or do I just have to get a lot better about zeroing in on my target than I have been or both?
Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread