Storm Shelter

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
I am NC
you are GA

I didn't think GA got many tornados? I know we get 'kinda tornados' every now and then but does GA get enough tornados to warrant building a storm shelter? just wondering?

GaDigger81 said:
After reading a posts on tornados on this forum it got me thinking. Well, I been thinking this for a while now. I'm wanting to put in a storm shelter at my house. The ones you buy are kinda expensive so I was wondering if yall have any ideas on building one. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
A 1inch steel plated bomb shelter under ground would be my way to go. But like you said $$,$$$,$$$,$$$!

FarmerChick said:
I am NC
you are GA

I didn't think GA got many tornados? I know we get 'kinda tornados' every now and then but does GA get enough tornados to warrant building a storm shelter? just wondering?

Actually where I live in NW Ga is considered part of Tornado Alley. It runs into the Southeast covering northeast Mississippi all of northern Alabama and northwest to north central Ga. It's not uncommon to have them here.

poorhunter78 said:
GaDigger81 said:
After reading a posts on tornados on this forum it got me thinking. Well, I been thinking this for a while now. I'm wanting to put in a storm shelter at my house. The ones you buy are kinda expensive so I was wondering if yall have any ideas on building one. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
A 1inch steel plated bomb shelter under ground would be my way to go. But like you said $$,$$$,$$$,$$$!

Alot of money!!

GaDigger81 said:
poorhunter78 said:
GaDigger81 said:

Alot of money!!
I hree yuh Borther!

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Plus, you can use it for storin your can goods, like we used to do. Some I've seen were just holes in the ground with a door and timbers framed up to support the roof, which is serviceable. You can build a better one out of concrete. Dig the hole, pour the footing, form up and pour the walls, then form up and pour the roof. I don't know what your budget for that is, but you can figure up your costs for a concrete one pretty easy, and might be able to cut a few corners, and save a bunch doin the labor yourself.

FarmerChick said:
I am NC
you are GA

Believe it or not, Georgia gets a bunch of tornadoes.

You really need to find some German immigrants that are in there mid to late 80's.. Those are the guys that really knew how to build bunkers :thumbsup:

wow I didn't know that about GA

if you are part of the alley, and they do come in your area, yea I would

hey, can you get a shipping container? dig a big hole and bury it and just put in air vents?

we use old truck shipping containers for hay storage on the farm. stick one in the ground, but be sure to punch in air holes :laughing9:

obviously I am guessing here but hey??

Actually that's not a bad idea to use those containers.. That are steel, except for the wooden flooring.. The best part is they already come with their own address printed right on them.. I would go for a Maersk Container, they have the best equipment. Your address would be something like MEAU 410 245 with a check digit. Best part is they offer the following sizes 20' 40' 49' high cube and 45' The HC are 9'6" tall :headbang: vs the standard 8' on all the others

If you need bigger, I believe NYK lines has trailer sized containers 53'

RGINN said:
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Plus, you can use it for storin your can goods, like we used to do. Some I've seen were just holes in the ground with a door and timbers framed up to support the roof, which is serviceable. You can build a better one out of concrete. Dig the hole, pour the footing, form up and pour the walls, then form up and pour the roof. I don't know what your budget for that is, but you can figure up your costs for a concrete one pretty easy, and might be able to cut a few corners, and save a bunch doin the labor yourself.

Thanks! :icon_thumright: I love some good can goods!! :headbang:

spartacus53 said:
You really need to find some German immigrants that are in there mid to late 80's.. Those are the guys that really knew how to build bunkers :thumbsup:

;D

FarmerChick said:
wow I didn't know that about GA

if you are part of the alley, and they do come in your area, yea I would

hey, can you get a shipping container? dig a big hole and bury it and just put in air vents?

we use old truck shipping containers for hay storage on the farm. stick one in the ground, but be sure to punch in air holes :laughing9:

obviously I am guessing here but hey??

Good idea! :icon_thumright: I thinks thats what I'm gonna do!

spartacus53 said:
Actually that's not a bad idea to use those containers.. That are steel, except for the wooden flooring.. The best part is they already come with their own address printed right on them.. I would go for a Maersk Container, they have the best equipment. Your address would be something like MEAU 410 245 with a check digit. Best part is they offer the following sizes 20' 40' 49' high cube and 45' The HC are 9'6" tall :headbang: vs the standard 8' on all the others

I think the standard would work, it's just 4 of us. 53'???? :icon_scratch: Daggum what the heck would I do with that. I pretty much had to dynamite my place out, I couldn't imagine what it would cost to bury that thing! :laughing9: :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:

GaDigger81 said:
spartacus53 said:

I think the standard would work, it's just 4 of us. 53'???? :icon_scratch: Daggum what the heck would I do with that. I pretty much had to dynamite my place out, I couldn't imagine what it would cost to bury that thing! :laughing9: :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:
Least it would be fun Blowin a hole in da ground! :headbang:

poorhunter78 said:
GaDigger81 said:
spartacus53 said:

Least it would be fun Blowin a hole in da ground! :headbang:

BoOm :laughing9:

texastee2007 said:
Ours is concrete with a concrete slab on top... Hubby installed a automatic pump that comes on encase water gets in it with two vents about 36" tall. The door has cement deadmen to help lift the very heavy door.

I have seen people bury a shipping container...around here you don't have alot of moisture in the ground but I would think you could tar the outside and get away with it if your water table isn't very high. You could cut a entrance hole on top....along with vents to allow air flow.

One fella took an old school bus..welded metal over all the windows and buried it...hey it works great. here is a link to how to build a regular root cellar.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2273731_build-underground-root-cellar.html

here's a shipping container

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3EAJex1RVo

Thanks!! :icon_thumright:

Tornado shelter isn't like prepping for the Apocalypse . A reasonable basement with ready access should suffice .

I got one in the ground for about 1800 all said and done, spent a little at a time, and it took a about a yr and a half, Its a 6x12 Metal culvert. The best idea I think for a quick easy shelter with enough space to spend some days in if necessary would be a about a 6000 gallon Propane tank with a staircase into the top. But Im talking extended stay.
My buddy built a "storm cellar" on a hill from a septic tank, he put walls going at 90 degrees from the door and back filled it. Cut the door out of the side with a masonry bit, (did great), then installed a metal door.. Its small, but fine for a tornado shelter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back