Strange 1964 Nickel

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this one is not mine, but was sent to me to help figure it out.
So I'm asking for help since I don't have the an answer for him.

It's a Jefferson Nickel that is ultra thin, weighs 1.9 grams and if you look it's thinner on one side than the other.

Is it play money, a counterfeit, or an error?

6485.jpeg 6487.jpeg
6523.jpeg 6522.jpeg

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
back in the 70's my brother brought home a penny that he had used in a science experiment in high school where they left it in a beaker of some sort of acid for a while. it looked nearly identical to the condition of your nickel

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is the width compared to a regular nickle? Just looking at it, it seems like might be a mint error of an improper planchet

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Jefferson's head is larger than the nickle on the right. I'm thinking counterfeit or play money.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
back in the 70's my brother brought home a penny that he had used in a science experiment in high school where they left it in a beaker of some sort of acid for a while. it looked nearly identical to the condition of your nickel

What you are talking about is if you scratch the edge if a post 1982 cent, then drop it in hydrochloric acid, the acid will eat away all if the zinc and leave only the thin copper shell. Science is fun.

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone has trimmed off the collar of this coin. You have not showed us the reverse. If it is a light planchet the strike would be weak. This is an altered coin not an error.

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What you are talking about is if you scratch the edge if a post 1982 cent, then drop it in hydrochloric acid, the acid will eat away all if the zinc and leave only the thin copper shell. Science is fun.

My brother graduated in '76, so of course the penny was pre-1982 and was all copper. The result was practically identical to the condition of the nickel pictured. It left the penny extremely thin and without a rim, it's features were readable for the most part but yet seemed slightly bigger as if 'melted'

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if it was possibly used as a cathode in an electrolysis tub.

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I think Jewelerguy may have it. Here is a British One Penny coin that had an acid treatment -

Attachments

• acidpenny.jpg
    acidpenny.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 75
  • acidpenny2.jpg
    acidpenny2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 0

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks like it was used in a nickel slot machine back in the day when they still used coins.

Upvote 0

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found coins that had a smiliar look, that had been caught in between the barrel and sidewall of my clothes washer.
They were thinner and had no edge on them.

It could be possible the nickle has been caught in a washing machine and removed when it caused problems with the drain pump.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread