What's new

Strange Axe

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
1,379
Reaction score
642
Golden Thread
1
Location
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Can someone put a date on this and/ or tell me anything about it? It is really old and possibly given to the early settlers in Louisiana by the Spanish government. There was also evidence of a civil war camp site where it was found. Looks to small for a tool to me, more like a weapon. Thanks for any help. Shane
 

Attachments

  • 100_4837.webp
    100_4837.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 608
  • 100_4838.webp
    100_4838.webp
    8.3 KB · Views: 645
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Dumb ?,but there isnt a hole in the "knob",is there?

If it doesnt appear to have been used as a hammer,I wonder if it wasnt a pipe 'Hawk,blank?
Im not sure what part is the "knob" or why there should be a hole in it but I think he said the hole for the handle was rusted over.

It doesnt look mushroomed in the pic but its just a thought to consider in a rusted item.
 
Upvote 0
The closest I have in my books is a shipbuilders axe like IP mentioned but the round head does not match. Maybe its a thomahawk for crushing skulls.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
kuger said:
Dumb ?,but there isnt a hole in the "knob",is there?

If it doesnt appear to have been used as a hammer,I wonder if it wasnt a pipe 'Hawk,blank?
Im not sure what part is the "knob" or why there should be a hole in it but I think he said the hole for the handle was rusted over.

It doesnt look mushroomed in the pic but its just a thought to consider in a rusted item.

BCY,the "knob",would be the end opposite the blade....and I was wondering if it had a hole as that is what a pipe tomahawk would have...a "bowl".IP says HELL,no though ;D
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
bigcypresshunter said:
kuger said:
Dumb ?,but there isnt a hole in the "knob",is there?

If it doesnt appear to have been used as a hammer,I wonder if it wasnt a pipe 'Hawk,blank?
Im not sure what part is the "knob" or why there should be a hole in it but I think he said the hole for the handle was rusted over.

It doesnt look mushroomed in the pic but its just a thought to consider in a rusted item.

BCY,the "knob",would be the end opposite the blade....and I was wondering if it had a hole as that is what a pipe tomahawk would have...a "bowl".IP says HELL,no though ;D

That was the first thing I checked when the piece was dug, and the knob is solid. No hole.
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
bigcypresshunter said:
kuger said:
Dumb ?,but there isnt a hole in the "knob",is there?

If it doesnt appear to have been used as a hammer,I wonder if it wasnt a pipe 'Hawk,blank?
Im not sure what part is the "knob" or why there should be a hole in it but I think he said the hole for the handle was rusted over.

It doesnt look mushroomed in the pic but its just a thought to consider in a rusted item.

BCY,the "knob",would be the end opposite the blade....and I was wondering if it had a hole as that is what a pipe tomahawk would have...a "bowl".IP says HELL,no though ;D
Ah OK I get it.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
kuger said:
bigcypresshunter said:
kuger said:
Dumb ?,but there isnt a hole in the "knob",is there?

If it doesnt appear to have been used as a hammer,I wonder if it wasnt a pipe 'Hawk,blank?
Im not sure what part is the "knob" or why there should be a hole in it but I think he said the hole for the handle was rusted over.

It doesnt look mushroomed in the pic but its just a thought to consider in a rusted item.

BCY,the "knob",would be the end opposite the blade....and I was wondering if it had a hole as that is what a pipe tomahawk would have...a "bowl".IP says HELL,no though ;D

That was the first thing I checked when the piece was dug, and the knob is solid. No hole.

:icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom