Strange Dime - 1967

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
I found this dime in my penny jar. I didn't realize it was a dime at first, thought it was a penny. Don't have any idea where I got it or how long I've had it, but it's a strange bird indeed. It appears that it never made it through the plating process, and as a result is just copper. I've washed it and rubbed it thinking maybe it's just dirty, but it is as clean as a whistle... just copper colored. It's definitely thinner than a regular dime, as I can lay it side by side with a plated dime and put a straight edge over the top of them and the copper one can be slid out from under the straight edge. Has anybody seen anything like this before? If so, does it have any value?

Attachments

• IMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,555
  • IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,353

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a dug coin. Looks to be environmental damage to me.

As for being thinner than a normal dime, could it just be wear? Did you use another dime of the same vintage so the wear would be similar? Can you weigh it?

OP
OP
bigwater

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
No, I don't have a similarly aged dime to compare it against. The oldest one I could find around the house was a late 70's. It doesn't appear to be a dug coin... it appears to just be a straight copper dime. The relief is good, not like you would expect from a coin worn enough to wear all of the plating off of it. You can still make out the designer's mark beside the base, and the E PLURIBUS UNUM is plainly visible with the naked eye. My camera doesn't very good macro photos, so the pics don't appear as crisp as the coin actually is.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I've got a lot of coins just like that, most are from the 60's to early 70's. They are dug coins, and many times when they are in certain ground for so long, no amount of cleaning can wipe off the color. I've tumbled dimes like that for days and they came out shiny but dark like that. More than likely, that's all you have.

Joe

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
twistidd said:
I've got a lot of coins just like that, most are from the 60's to early 70's. They are dug coins, and many times when they are in certain ground for so long, no amount of cleaning can wipe off the color. I've tumbled dimes like that for days and they came out shiny but dark like that. More than likely, that's all you have.

Joe
I agree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread