Hello All. Found this in a 1920's curb strip. It is iron and there are no thread inside it. There was a FEC rail line about 100-Yds away. Whdd'ya think? Thanks and HH.
Hello A/CMan. You are correct. Previously "mo dirt diggin" posted the same idea on the "Today's Finds" page so I looked more closed at the find and discovered ridges on the ID that confirm it to be a thread die. I also showed it the machinists at work and they agree.
I knew that I had see this type of tool before, the ID looks very similar to the dies I used thread galvanized pipe with in another life.
Glad I could help a little, to me that's what it looked like, I ran a lot of piping and threading about half, but it still was similar to he rigid dies I used, GL & HH Ac
If you look closely at the pics, you can see rivets in the piece holding it together. I'll bet it's a transformer core rather than a thread die. thread dies are typically round instead of square, and are made of a solid piece of steel instead of laminated plates, I just went and looked at all of the dies I have and there are none like that.