Strange Large Cent Find. Any ideas?

1digger

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this week in an open field I received permission to search in, near two late 18oo's houses. I initially thought it was a large cent, but then noting the thinness and the strange concentric rings on the back, decided that it must be a button. When I got home I realized there was no shank (which a flat button certainly would have, or the remains of it). Then I noticed the vague bust on the front, at least one star and a faint "8". I'm concluding that it was at one time a Matron Head Cent (1816 -1839 I think) from the shape, but why was it ground thin and what are the circles on the back? The circles initially look like silver plate, but now I am wondering if they are related to an application process, like to a brooch or hair pin? 2010_0831thisweeksfinds0001.JPG 2010_0831thisweeksfinds0002.JPG 2010_0831thisweeksfinds0004.JPG

Upvote 8

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No idea buddy... but damn if it isn't thin (you're right). Can't wait to hear from "experts" and others.... Brad

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks very interesting, sure looks like a Coronet/Matron, looks like it has allot of dirt on it, might be able to see something if you cleaned it, HP/ oil.Your call.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might be modified on back like they used to make love tokens or other pieces

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have digital calipers to measure it? Sure looks like Lady Liberty and stars of an LC.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not too uncommon to see distorted coins as a result of one coin being hammered into the other, so what this could be is possibly a tombac button hammered into the coin... and there is buttons with that same type of design.

OP
OP

1digger

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dude pretty sure it is Lady Liberty from the wideness of the bust -don't have calipers but is exactly the size of a Lady Liberty I have. Iron Patch -interesting -thanks for the ideas!

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spun for a button I think. I found a George like that once, but more crudely lathe spun.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dude pretty sure it is Lady Liberty from the wideness of the bust -don't have calipers but is exactly the size of a Lady Liberty I have. Iron Patch -interesting -thanks for the ideas!

I'm sure there will be another idea or two, and the button theory I can't fully accept because you'd think there would be some detail left from the coin. Maybe if it was hit hard enough? Not sure.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hammered idea is interesting , but if so wouldn't the diameter be larger than the standard Coronet large cent ? could the
circles on the reverse be a result of a lathe - and might that also account for how thin the piece is ? lots of mystery here ,
I find it fascinating that we encounter just these sort of mysteries here almost daily !

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That spun look resembles the back of some Tombac buttons. It almost looks like there was a shank in the center at one time.... at least from the pic. Cool find whatever it might be

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a Matron Head.

Definitely spun down. Looks like a lathe turning, but there'd be no way for anyone but a jeweler to chuck it up. It would have to have been turned on the end of a dop stick. Jewelers use a dop stick and hard wax to affix gems, and other things so that they stay put while being polished or turned. the stick could then be chucked, spinning the coin.

The plating intrigues me. It would be interesting to see if there is any indication of that silver color on the front. It might also give some hint as to when the work was done. If it is silver colored on both sides, it was likely electroplated and done later (1855 or later). If it is only one one side, it is more likely to have been fire-amalgum deposited (and therefore earlier).

It is also possible that the spun side of the coin was the side meant to be seen.

Anyway.. enough speculation... interesting piece.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very interesting find..............sure looks lathe turned............but that's just my opinion!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! What kind of fertilizer are you guys using out there!?!?! LOL

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's a nice find. Someone prob took a worn out lc and wanted to male a cool flat button out of it

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the lathe idea, whatever it is its definitely cool!!

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
If you look at the picture of the back you can definitely see the laurel at the bottom of the object. If it was spun on a lathe I wonder if you would see any detail remaining. IP's button theory seems more plausible. It will be nice to hear from other knowledgable people though.
Either way, a cool, cool find.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no clue about your coin but it's definitely a nice find.
Congrats on your unusual LC. It may just be one of a kind.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That item you found is indeed a button and the side with the rings is where the shank has worn off. Look at it under a magnifying glass and in the center you will see a slight indentation. Usually they would just break off and leave a slight depression. Period of use; 1700-1850.

Unless the person making the button ( maybe an apprentice jeweler ) was a novice and made a " cold " solder joint, there should be remnants of solder at the very least if a shank had been attached. Maybe the coin was readied for the shank but never made it that far for some reason? VERY cool find and all the ideas just make it even more so.

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Finger Lakes Region Of NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Profind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The front does look like a large cent. The back looks like it has been machined. It possibly was going to be used for something else. My son found a large cent that was made in to a button by having 4 holes punched through the center of it. It wasn't so easiy to get to a store or find supplies. You used what you had in the old days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread