Strange rock found in S. AZ

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all..... I found this rock in the mountains of southern AZ.
It appears to be a very 'purpose built' tool for something...... just can't imagine what. Anyone come across something similar?

It is just under 2 1/2" long, 1 3/8" wide and 5/8" thick. The groove that goes across the one side, is very uniform and highly polished. All corners/edges are beveled on the thing.
Sorry for the crappy pics...... and thanks in advance for any thoughts/info!
001.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG

Upvote 6

plehbah2

May 8, 2023
Colorado mountains
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, XP Deus II
I cannot zoom in on your pictures, but that seems much too modified to be a simple shaft abrader. The symmetry and prepared edges and corners make me guess that it is an atlatl weight. I am not familiar with that particular style, if that's what it is, but it's just too involved for an abrader in my opinion.

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I also think it could be a atlatl weight. I've never found one but my grandfather did many years ago and it was fairly similar to that.

OP
OP
A

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to everyone! It was sure an odd find for an area I've spent decades in sniffing out territorial era (1860's to 1910's) evidence of people living there..... but never found any NA artifacts. This was a region that the Chiricahua Apache held onto as long as they could, but gold/silver/copper won out.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrow shaft straightener.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say shaft abrader/straightener. There should be another piece just like it somewhere too, if so. Atl-atl weight idea sounds pretty good though. 'Plehbah2, huh!??'

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure looks like an arrow shaft abrader. I would suggest that you research the area for the opposite half. The two together were used to smooth out the arrow shaft for a more uniform and straight flight of an arrow. Super nice find, and you don't find those that often.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
It's an arrow shaft straightener. You are lucky to find a complete one as many are found in fragments, fire cracked from usage. Soapstone is a common material for them.
As always, you all bring good info in your comments.
I’ve seen a good number of examples of “arrow shaft straightener”. There are many good examples out there.
I’ve always wondered how they were identified as such. I follow a few primitive hunters who make there own repro traditional AtlAtl and bow assembly weapons, and none of them utilize a grooved stone tool to straighten arrows. Abrader? There’s a couple replies noting a second half?

Putting that aside a second. The OP mentions 1860 to 1910 as a range of occupation. I’m assuming, the bow and arrow was replaced with modern weapons by 1860? Does that range/context support this type of artifact? Is soap stone found in Arizona?

Not questioning the legitimacy of the artifact. I’d love to find one. Just asking logical questions.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all..... I found this rock in the mountains of southern AZ.
It appears to be a very 'purpose built' tool for something...... just can't imagine what. Anyone come across something similar?

It is just under 2 1/2" long, 1 3/8" wide and 5/8" thick. The groove that goes across the one side, is very uniform and highly polished. All corners/edges are beveled on the thing.
Sorry for the crappy pics...... and thanks in advance for any thoughts/info!
View attachment 2086997 View attachment 2086998 View attachment 2086999 View attachment 2087000 View attachment 2087001
Nice find. I’ve tagged onto Tdog’s reply with thoughts and questions for the OP and anyone with knowledge regarding this specific type of artifact.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not an abrader, nothing else missing except a crooked arrow shaft and a fire. My understanding is from an explanation from Dr. Thomas R. Hester, Professor Emeritus, from The University of Texas at Austin. He wrote an explanation of how these were used on the now defunct Arrowheadology forum years ago. My paraphrased version from memory...

Many arrow shafts were prepared to be straightened, a fire was built and the straightener was heated. A shaft was then slowly drawn across the groove, back-and-forth, on the excurvate side of a bend. This was done until the fibers at that place in the shaft were shrunken enough to take out the bend. The process was repeated until all the bends were straight. Obviously, the straightener had to be re-heated during the straightening sessions. The shafts were then bundled, tied and cooled to maintain their straightness until they were ready to be hafted.

I don't know how long these were made and used but later than 1860 I'd bet. I can't imagine them only being in use for 50 years. A lot of the men that died at the battle of the Little Bighorn that occurred in 1876 were shot with arrows. I also understand that soapstone is quite abundant up and down the west coast and at least as far inland as is Arizona.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I want to thank everyone for the wealth of information.
I returned to the spot on Saturday and found nothing else.

And to answer these questions from MAMucker:
"The OP mentions 1860 to 1910 as a range of occupation. I’m assuming, the bow and arrow was replaced with modern weapons by 1860? Does that range/context support this type of artifact? Is soap stone found in Arizona?"

I want to clarify what I said earlier, which was:
"I've spent decades in sniffing out territorial era (1860's to 1910's) evidence of people living there..... but never found any NA artifacts. This was a region that the Chiricahua Apache held onto as long as they could, but gold/silver/copper won out."

That means that I've hit this area for along time, looking for remnants of the territiorial era(when easterners started rolling into AZ)... which was also an era of great mining interests, bringing in a huge influx of people through these canyons during that era.
I have never found evidence of NA presence before this in that region, but of course they were there... and what I do know is that this region was a favorite area for the Chiricahua Apache until they were pushed out. This artifact is quite obviously from before the territorial era , whether Apache or if it predates their arrival to the area, who knows?
So..... This tool has nothing to do with the 'territorial era" in AZ, I mentioned that time frame to reference the types of relics I look for and find. Also, I know nothing about the prevalence of soapstone in AZ.

Thanks again for such great info!!

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
good lord the date range is ridiculous. There is thousands of years of on and off occupation all over the SW.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread