FiresEye said:
fistfulladirt said:
jim4silver said:
fistfulladirt said:
Please don't shop at Walmart.
FFD,
I like your postings but I have to say I don't get this. Walmart employs many Americans and provides many goods to Americans at reasonable prices. I go there a few times a month and most of the stuff I buy there is not made in China. They have groceries and toiletries, etc.
Why should I pay more for the same items at a mom and pop store? Do they deserve to have their income subsidized by me so they can have the privilege of owning their own company? In business you have to be competitive. If you cannot beat their price, beat their service or give them reason to shop at your store.
I actually like Sam's better than Walmart, but both are great in my opinion.
Jim
Jim, what fries my behind is that when a Walmart moves into an area, similar jobs that pay better wages are eliminated. Studies show that Walmart's national wage is below poverty level. I understand competition and retail business is cut throat when it comes to profits, but these stores set the trend for poor wages and virtually zero benefits. That, and the fact that I have a brother that works retail for a smaller store. ffd
That's true, fine, and dandy, but.
The train is already rolling it, there can be no turning back. Just like all these people getting hooked onto CRH.
Ok, bad comparison, but Walmart ain't going away, and with unemployment so high of COURSE people will take low pay. Because poverty in AMerica sure as heck beats the middle class on some other countries.
Unfortunately for the last 50+ years in our country people have been raised to be good employees instead of entrepreneurs. It is taught in our schools and society in general (nothing against educators, I have a friend who is a principal and he agreed with me about this). Just like the notion of getting a college degree-which for many is a waste because they get out in huge debt and wind up working in low paying jobs completely unrelated to their "degree", many of which are useless in the real world.
Instead of all the unemployed looking for "jobs", a certain percentage of them who are skilled in a particular area could start their own service type business and do well, such as painting, lawn care, electrician, plumbing, etc. Best to start out working for someone else, take good notes and see how things are properly done, then go out on your own. Yes it is a gamble but so is working for a company that lays you off so you stay dependent on others forever.
If we had more entrepreneurs and less "employees" I think our economy would be stronger IMO.
Jim