What's new

String Rolls - Below average returns?

MentalUnrest

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2010
Messages
744
Reaction score
113
Golden Thread
0
In reading through some posts in past weeks, I have read many people posts that say the string boxes have terrible returns. I live in a big city and there are banks everywhere and no matter what bank I go to they are always string rolls and based on what others say they are getting out of halves and dimes, it seems like all my boxes are way below normal posts from people here. I have read many people stating they average 3-5 silver dimes in a box and while there are many that get skunked, more people talk about the 3-5 per box as average. I can go through 3-5 boxes and not get a silver and same with halves.

Are String rolls the major supplier to banks? What are peoples luck with these rolls vs Brinks, Loomis etc.....

I was in Illinois a few months ago and it was Brinks at all banks in areas I went into.
 
Upvote 0
Hey Mental, I believe String refers to the coin wrapper manufacturer, N. F. String & Son, Harrisburg, PA. I know here in my area, I pick up boxes from banks who use Brinks and banks who use Loomis and both service carrier boxes are wrapped with the String wrappers, (Yellow print on white background). And yeah, the boxes from both carriers have been skunky lately. Just gotta keep at it and sooner or later you will hit a good box. HH

FL Junkman
 
ya, rarely, but occasionally an ok box will come along, not usually more than 20ish silvers in halves for me at most, but for the most part the nf string wrappers mean skunks, and for me, brinks and loomis use nf string brand wrappers, and they are both horrible :/
PS i believe that i was one of the people who said the nf string roll are bad as of late, so if that is true i am just trying to help clarify :)
so, yes, nf string rolls have a significantly lower return than brinks it would seem...nice observation ;)
 
The average has never been 3-5 silver dimes per box, as long as I've been on this forum.
I have noticed lately that some posters have come up with $500 boxes of dimes, which is not the norm. Average dime finds are normally 1-2 silver dimes per $250 box.
I've searched String-wrapped and hand-rolled dimes for 3 years. My average is 1 silver per $150 searched. I avoid the Brinks clear-wrapped, and if I receive any in an order, I'm bummed.....results may differ in other areas for other searchers.
 
It has nothing to do with the wrapper, just the coins being put in them.
HH
enamel7
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom