Stuart Crystal Cufflinks C 1690 or earlier...

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As most of you know me from the Surf Forum... I haven't been posting because of not much in the way of erosion here in Mass... so I have done what everyone else has done... Went to the fields.. Glad I did... about a month or so ago, I had the opportunity to do some field hunting... Went to an area that dates back to the early Colonial Days... got a few Indian Head Pennies and a Conn. Copper that is just perfect.... and these CUFFLINKS...They are Sterling and VERY RARE.. Although I have seen only one other pair here on the net, and have met the man that found them. He was very informative of my pair......His were found in RI...Mine were found from an area that the PILGRIMS lived, and harvested their fields..Can't even tell you the feeling I had when I found out what exactly I had when I got back to the truck...These were found about 13 inches deep. They are very rare and don't come around very often... Place of Creation,Object Place, England or America, Height x width x depth: 1.2 x 1.2 x 0.9 cm (1/2 x 1/2 x 3/8 in.) Sterling Silver, Quartz, 24 K Gold, and Textile... This is 1/2 pair of square Sterling Silver and quartz cuff links, each composed to two ornamental buttons connected by a figure eight silver link. Underneath the faceted crystal is a fine gold twisted cord or wire with a trefoil design covering a small square of dark woven textile mounted on foil which has been painted light Blue. All I can say is you just NEVER know what your going to find...Keep digging...:) DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0024.JPG Field Hunt (2).JPG

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Iron, I knew you would chime in buddy , good to see you here... I haven't been posting much... Laying low...LOL but I just couldn't resist... I wanted to share this great save...Have a great day buddy...oh and get back there to find the other side of yours...I guess I got lucky when I got all 3 pieces still intact...But even better is where they were found ..Ties it in with Colonial America and the Pilgrims.....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron, I knew you would chime in buddy , good to see you here... I haven't been posting much... Laying low...LOL but I just couldn't resist... I wanted to share this great save...Have a great day buddy...oh and get back there to find the other side of yours...I guess I got lucky when I got all 3 pieces still intact...But even better is where they were found ..Ties it in with Colonial America and the Pilgrims.....

yeah I'd gladly trade my three singles for one complete link. It's too bad too because all three are nice condition. I bet I have two the same size so will might have to keep my eye out for a center piece to join them.

Edit: I just checked and all three are the same size, but only one has the loop. But that's cool because I don't mind having them as buttons in my Colonial designed case.

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Iron, I am seeing some that are actually made into ear rings ...I guess it was common practice as most of them got separated or broke ...A few have surfaced on e bay that way recently

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron, I am seeing some that are actually made into ear rings ...I guess it was common practice as most of them got separated or broke ...A few have surfaced on e bay that way recently

Here's the question I am interested in finding an answer to.

I just found this through a quick search....

"During the 17th century, crude miniature painted portraits, simple designs of twisted gold wire and enameled metal—all secured behind rock crystal or glass—were the fashion. After the execution of King Charles I in 1649, rock crystal jewels referred to as "Stuart Crystals" made their debut and some as cufflinks. Stuart Crystals got their name from the House of Stuart, which was a European royal house. These crystals frequently were political in nature, such as the commemoration of the execution of King Charles I in 1649."

The design on mine is the back to back letter C and that has me wondering if it's what they are talking about, the commemoration of the execution of King Charles I. In another quick search I found that symbol used on Charles II coins, but did not see it on Charles I... but I didn't really look very hard. Anyway, if I don't look further, or the answer get posted, it will go on my Winter to do list. They very well may have been made during the reign of Charles II, and more a patriotic type of deal. i think that probably makes the most sense.

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cipher Cufflinks A type of sentimental jewel consisting of a faceted rock crystal or paste stone, frequently foiled on the back, that is set over a small gold wire initial or plait of hair. Ciphers were frequently set into cufflinks. Cipher Cufflinks, English or American, 1660-1800, gold, quartz.

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Stuart crystals are a form of 17th and 18th century mourning jewelry. Stuart crystals get their names from the House of Stuart. The crystals were pieces of political jewelry that commemorate the execution of King Charles I in 1649. The first jewels were made from locks of King Charles’ hair preserved under faceted rock crystal (quartz), often decorated with his initials or miniature portrait. They were worn by Royalists who opposed the king’s execution on the grounds that as God’s chosen leader, Charles I was above the law and his death was not justice, but murder. Later, the crystals were adopted by Jacobites who opposed the deposition of James II and the Stuart monarchy in 1688. Since supporting fallen monarchs was dangerous, many Stuart crystals are small and were worn in secret. However, as the 17th century continued, Stuart crystals evolved into mementos mori and generalized commemorative jewelry. They remained popular into the 18th century until larger, more neoclassical jewelry came into fashion.
Description
Stuart crystals come in three main forms: slides, rings, and earrings. Original Stuart crystals were rings or ribbon slides, but many were later converted into other types of jewelry. Stuart crystals almost always contain hair, often woven so finely it appears like cloth.

In addition to hair, a Stuart crystal may contain gold initials, filigree designs, colored foil, portrait miniatures, and enameled symbols. Skeletons, skulls, doves, angels, cherubs or putti, and flowers are the most common type of symbolic charms found inside Stuart crystals

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions