suction highbanker?

jaunty

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
i am looking for some guidance on getting started with a highbanker. i would like this to be a suction highbanker. I do have a 3.5hp 2" pump that i have to work with. Can anyone recommend similar projects on this site or photos of this setup? WIll my pump has enough power to provide water and suction at the nozzle? I'm quite a newbie so any advice is appreciated. Currently looking for used sluice boxes or high bankers that i can convert to suction.

Thanks

I guess I should be more specific. I found a highbanker that is 2.5". What would be the preferred changeout, since my pump is 2", should I use entire discharge hose at 2" or convert to 2.5"? It looks like it would be more difficult to convert the keene hopper 2.5 to 2 inch. But I would likely loose suction if my discharge diameter is too large. My pump is a B&s 3.5 HP

Also, what are the recommedations for flat versus stiff hoses? Lengths?

I've googled this but really havent found much info on these topics.

I would use a 2.5 hose and suction nozzle. All you need coming off the pump is a 1" hose to feed the suction nozzle. Pretty sure the 3.5 HP will be sufficient.
Flat hose is ok to use as a pressure hose but for your suction you must use a suction hose.

15 ft is probably going to be your maximum length.

Just in case you didn't know................
Make sure you use a suction nozzle!
BEWARE! unless you have a "trash pump" DO NOT ATTEMPT to use the pumps intake for suction of your gravels!!! It would ruin your pump in a heartbeat.

GG~

Last edited:
I would use a 2.5 hose and suction nozzle. All you need coming off the pump is a 1" hose to feed the suction nozzle. Pretty sure the 3.5 HP will be sufficient.
Flat hose is ok to use as a pressure hose but for your suction you must use a suction hose.

15 ft is probably going to be your maximum length.

Just in case you didn't know................
Make sure you use a suction nozzle!
BEWARE! unless you have a "trash pump" DO NOT ATTEMPT to use the pumps intake for suction of your gravels!!! It would ruin your pump in a heartbeat.

GG~

THanks for the info goodyguy,

so is it ok on the pump to have a 2 inch intake and only a 1 inch discharge? My pump manual says it should be the same or larger.

THanks for the info goodyguy,

so is it ok on the pump to have a 2 inch intake and only a 1 inch discharge? My pump manual says it should be the same or larger.

Well I'm not sure, but that's what I do on my 2" pump, I reduce the 2" discharge to 1" and never have had any problems and its a 6.5HP

GG~

dredplan_1.jpg
Well I'm not sure, but that's what I do on my 2" pump, I reduce the 2" discharge to 1" and never have had any problems and its a 6.5HP

GG~

it makes sense that decreasing the discharge line diameter in comparison to intake would increase the flow velocity. Also, more velocity = more suction. i think i'll keep intake 2", then use 1" to my suction device, but then would it be problematic if the hose running into my sluice is 2.5 inch? I dont see why it would.

Cheers!

Last edited:
photo (40).JPG

This is the reason i would choose to run 2.5" into the sluice--because my hopper has a 2.5" connection. Does anyone know how I would convert this "hole" into 2"? If so, i'd probably go that route.

View attachment 711466

This is the reason i would choose to run 2.5" into the sluice--because my hopper has a 2.5" connection. Does anyone know how I would convert this "hole" into 2"? If so, i'd probably go that route.

That's easy..... Just go to Autozone or a muffler shop and get an exhaust pipe reducer.
Tell them you want to go from a 2.5" ID to a 2" OD

Any muffler shop can custom size one for you.
reducer.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
You can also find pvc reducers from tapered to ones that look just like what GoodGuy posted.
I do suggest getting some sand paper to deburr the edges though, if you have ever worked with exhaust then you know that it will rip ya up.

When you start modding like the rest of us just about ANYTHING starts to look like you can use it for prospecting. :D

I personaly would stick with the 2.5". Moves a lot more material than a 2" with less plugups. I have the old Keene A-52 sluice with highbanker/dredge conversion hopper, & I run about 15' of 2.5" suctionhose off a 2" pump. My pump is reduced to 1.5" at the pump outlet & then down to 1" at the nozzle. One of these days I will probably go 1" all the way for convience. I went with 1.5" because I had a bunch of it already & it is a long chunk so I can put the noisy engine quite a ways from the highbanker/dredge. My pump is just an OLD cast iron pump with an OLD brigs, either 3 or 3.5 HP.

I personaly would stick with the 2.5". Moves a lot more material than a 2" with less plugups. I have the old Keene A-52 sluice with highbanker/dredge conversion hopper, & I run about 15' of 2.5" suctionhose off a 2" pump. My pump is reduced to 1.5" at the pump outlet & then down to 1" at the nozzle. One of these days I will probably go 1" all the way for convience. I went with 1.5" because I had a bunch of it already & it is a long chunk so I can put the noisy engine quite a ways from the highbanker/dredge. My pump is just an OLD cast iron pump with an OLD brigs, either 3 or 3.5 HP.

so you're running 2.5" intake to pump, then 1.5" to nozzle, then what inch off nozzle and into your hopper? 2.5" again?

so you're running 2.5" intake to pump, then 1.5" to nozzle, then what inch off nozzle and into your hopper? 2.5" again?
The pump is 2" in & out.
The output side is bushed down to 1.5". The pressure line from there to the suction nozzle is 1.5". It necks down to 1" at the nozzle to fit the standard Keene 2.5" suction nozzle.
The suction hose (from suction nozle to header box) is 2.5"

it makes sense that decreasing the discharge line diameter in comparison to intake would increase the flow velocity. Also, more velocity = more suction. i think i'll keep intake 2", then use 1" to my suction device, but then would it be problematic if the hose running into my sluice is 2.5 inch? I dont see why it would.

Cheers!

Should work fine that way.
Although if you decide to go with a 2" nozzle and hose you will have greater suction than with the 2.5 nozzle and hose.

However with the 2.5 nozzle and hose you can move more material. I'm just not sure your pump at 3.5 hp is powerful enough to support the 2.5" unless you go with a shorter hose like 8-10 feet.

As I stated before my preference would be to go with the 2.5"

GG~

Should work fine that way.
Although if you decide to go with a 2" nozzle and hose you will have greater suction than with the 2.5 nozzle and hose.

However with the 2.5 nozzle and hose you can move more material. I'm just not sure your pump at 3.5 hp is powerful enough to support the 2.5" unless you go with a shorter hose like 8-10 feet.

As I stated before my preference would be to go with the 2.5"

GG~

im going to wait to decide until i find a suction nozzle! the options seem quite limited unless i build my own. the standard keene one would be 2.5" correct, but 1" at the narrow part. so far i havent seen any for sale used.. 100 bucks is pretty steep!

im going to wait to decide until i find a suction nozzle! the options seem quite limited unless i build my own. the standard keene one would be 2.5" correct, but 1" at the narrow part. so far i havent seen any for sale used.. 100 bucks is pretty steep!

so is lay flat hose ok for everything except the hose that runs the material? i'd prefer it, seems a lot easier to carry around and CHEAPER! (im a cheap skate!)

:thumbsup:

so is lay flat hose ok for everything except the hose that runs the material? i'd prefer it, seems a lot easier to carry around and CHEAPER! (im a cheap skate!)

:thumbsup:

The pumps intake hose cannot be lay flat. The suction hose cannot be lay flat. Only the 1" pressure hose that leads to the nozzle can be lay flat. I would recommend using suction hose even on the pressure side due to better efficiency. Any hose used needs to be smooth on the inside. Do not use vacuum hose unless it is smooth walled on the inside.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/dredging-hi-banking/207975-dredge-hoses.html

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back