Sunday afternoon Civil War finds, Tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a few hours Sunday with my hunting buddy John. We found several items, possibly items belonging to the Federal Officers. John found a nice scabbard tip, and a old token.? We both found carved bullets and gun powder flask lids. along with several dropped bullets. I found a part of a spur. The huge key was very interesting, anyone know what it went to? Enjoy the pics. Tsgman

Attachments

• new_1-DFE9~1.jpg
    new_1-DFE9~1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 441
  • new_1-D3E9~1.jpg
    new_1-D3E9~1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 452
  • new_1-D7E9~1.jpg
    new_1-D7E9~1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 444
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I forgot one of the pics.

Attachments

• new_1-DFFB~1.jpg
    new_1-DFFB~1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 454

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a great hunt! I don't know about the key, but what do you know about that huge (.50 cal ?) bullet in the last pic (bottom-right)?

HH!
TBGO

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad to hear from you Tsgman,It's been a while.Is this the new place or one of your old one's?Anyway Great find's as alway's,do you find more confederate or union piece's on your hunt's.Thank's for sharing and good luck.Love the CW!!

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
TSGMAN, Great Finds as Always, Not Only a WW2 .50 Cal. But a GI Legging Buckle. Your CW site May Have Been a Training Area During WW2. I Believe The Key is for an Early 1800's Door Lock. Best of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, That 50 cal bullet is like a fish out of water at that spot. This spot looks like a old hog pen! But it was near the camp we discovered previously. We decided to check it because it was on part of the high ground overlooking our campsite. Civil it appears it is from a union camp. TBGO, thanks for the info on the 50 cal. I will try to figure out why it was on this spot. Trk5capt, good to here from you, Its been a little colder here, spitting snow and cold winds. I thank you for the info on the key, I was wondering if it went to a large chest or trunk. Have a good week. Tim

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks JD, hopefully the weatherman will let us have a few more nice days like today. My brother-inlaw got out of the hospital yesterday.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel that the key is either that for opening a grandfather clock, or a key to a jail cell. Just a guess....

Great Finds!!!!!!!!!!!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs. I have always wanted to find a spur. Nice stuff. :)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's some nice struff Tsgman. You guys are some good civil war hunters.

HH Jer

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds TSG! The item in the middle of the last pic looks like it was a tassle kind of thing found at the end of a rope or maybe a plug for a cannon fuse hole, in case the cannon was over run, they could have pounded it into the fuse hole rendering the cannon useless at least for enough time to get the heck out of Dodge. HH, Mike

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Nice finds TSG! The item in the middle of the last pic looks like it was a tassle kind of thing found at the end of a rope or maybe a plug for a cannon fuse hole, in case the cannon was over run, they could have pounded it into the fuse hole rendering the cannon useless at least for enough time to get the heck out of Dodge. HH, Mike
Mike the item you are referring to is a scabbard tip off a officers sword. I have several pics just like it in a CW relic book. They are fairly rare in our area. I personally have yet to find one and this was Johns first one. HH, Tsgman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bayonet Scabbard Tip, Replacement for Springfield or Enfield bayonet Scabbards. Solid Brass. Exact copies of the originals. These are even a little better quality then the tips that originally come with the Indian Bayonet Scabbards. Can be cemented onto the scabbard, or cemented and then reinforced with two brass escutcheon pins as per some originals......................................$6.00

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Great finds!!! That key is a Jail key, Ive got one like it somewhere in all my junk, They used similar locks on big warehouse doors also.
About 1850-1890

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Wow ...nice finds ...I think the decorative piece is a wall bracket for a lamp...Nice finds

Attachments

• d9_1.jpg
    d9_1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 247
OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy, Thanks for the info and pic. What would your guess be as to the age?

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff you two! :o

;)

Top Member Reactions