Sundays Hunt - Colonial era .44 cal roundball?

grafer

Mar 2, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday's Hunt - Colonial era .44 cal roundball?

I'm just getting around to post Sunday's hunt because I was waiting for some of the relic folks in the "What is it?" area to help ID the lead ball I found. It appears that it is probably a Civil War era .44 caliber roundball and was probably for a pistol. :D

70708LeadBall.jpg

Also found $5.30 in clad, half a toy motorcycle engine, and other some miscellaneous items ..

070708All.jpg

Thanks for looking ....

Upvote 0

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Sunday's Hunt - CW era .44 cal roundball

Nice finds. More than i found today.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

neat finds

HH
-GC

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Was it a CW campsite, battle or skirmish site, picket post, or road?

I don't want my reply to come off in any way as mean--it is certainly not intended that way!

You see, round lead is tough. Small cal. musket balls are so similar to small cal. pistol balls from just about Any Era. So when I go on a CW hunt looking for a site--and all I find is round lead (unless it's .69 cal perhaps...but even then...)--there is no proof that I've found the site.

So maybe I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I've dug a Lot of round lead that wasn't CW from housesites, farms, parks, you name it. Get in there and find a minieball or two, and then stick that .44 in the case with 'em.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
grafer

grafer

Mar 2, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Was it a CW campsite, battle or skirmish site, picket post, or road?

I don't want my reply to come off in any way as mean--it is certainly not intended that way!

You see, round lead is tough. Small cal. musket balls are so similar to small cal. pistol balls from just about Any Era. So when I go on a CW hunt looking for a site--and all I find is round lead (unless it's .69 cal perhaps...but even then...)--there is no proof that I've found the site.

So maybe I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I've dug a Lot of round lead that wasn't CW from housesites, farms, parks, you name it. Get in there and find a minieball or two, and then stick that .44 in the case with 'em.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Buckleboy, I have found this 3 ringer in a park near me here in Ohio
Apr20FindsCW1.jpg
Similarly this round ball was found in a park. As I am a novice (especially with regards to these type of items) I was relying on what I was told it was. I appreciate you sharing your insight and experience as to how common they may be and how difficult they can be to identify. Thanks for the post.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sunday's Hunt - CW era .44 cal roundball?

The minie looks like a .69cal one. Were both bullets from the same park?

-Buckleboy

OP
OP
grafer

grafer

Mar 2, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
The minie looks like a .69cal one. Were both bullets from the same park?

-Buckleboy

No, not the same park. But both parks were in the same City, and about two miles apart (just NE of Columbus). The minie was in a big soccer complex on the sideline, mid-field, of one of the fields. The roundball was on the border edge of a volleyball pit that was just re-edged (so I'm guessing it jarred it loose, but that's just a guess). Kind of perplexing because as far as I know there wasn't a lot of war activity here in Ohio. From what I've read so far there were some troops here, but no real action. Just one or two minor skirmishes.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Without having the context of being found with other CW related items.. but it is a musket ball.. and could be a lot earlier.. so still a good dig!! I have a mason jar of just round balls... random finds in yards.. old house sites fields etc.... If you thin about it.. you had guys out hunting for 150+ years before the CW with round balls.. they had to drop a few!!! I usually include them more with the colonial stuff then CW unless they I dig them in a know camp or mixed with other CW items... is it .44?? looks a little bigger??

MonkeyBoy

OP
OP
grafer

grafer

Mar 2, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MonkeyBoy said:
Without having the context of being found with other CW related items.. but it is a musket ball.. and could be a lot earlier.. so still a good dig!! I have a mason jar of just round balls... random finds in yards.. old house sites fields etc.... If you thin about it.. you had guys out hunting for 150+ years before the CW with round balls.. they had to drop a few!!! I usually include them more with the colonial stuff then CW unless they I dig them in a know camp or mixed with other CW items... is it .44?? looks a little bigger??

MonkeyBoy

Probably categorizing as "colonial" instead of "CW" makes more sense since there were no other CW artifacts around, it was not a known site, and it would span a broader time period. Was told it was .44 cal, but I don't know. I'm definitely not familiar with all the varieties. What is the best way to tell? Good reference book and good measuring tools I imagine? I don't have precision instrumentation yet, like a caliper and digital scale. So I used the ruler and a mechanical food scale to get an approximation. Ballpark weight seems to be around 10grams, and if I had lined up my ruler in the picture better it looks as if it may be about 12-13mm diameter. But until I get better measuring equipment that's about the best I can do.

I appreciate all the feedback I have been getting on this post. It is becoming a great education! Thanks .. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread