What's new

Super tuned cibola

erbdigger

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2014
Messages
73
Reaction score
106
Golden Thread
0
Location
Muncie IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Tesoro Cibola(current)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone hunt their cibola super tuned? I don't often due to the irratic chirps. Does it help? What settings to you use to super tune? Thanks!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
I don't super tune. I set my threshold at a soft audio hum before switching over to the discriminate mode. When using a good set of headphones like Killer B Wasp, I've not noticed any extra depth by super tuning.

Take a coin and throw on the ground and try different settings when raising and swinging the coil further and further from the coin to see what suits you the best. I like the audio to fade away rather than abruptly ending, so I can gauge the depth and size of the target better.

The fade away audio response (when using a soft threshold hum) and where the audio abruptly stops (when super tuned), will be approximately the same distance from the coin if the threshold is properly set when using a good set of headphones. It takes some playing around with to get it right.

Also when you super tune, you can't use you pinpoint button for sizing and pinpointing.

tabman
 
I use it super tuned when I need to, maybe a week signal want more info from. But, never just hunt that way. One thing I do know, when its super tuned, dang, it is deep.
 
i use my vaquero with the sense at 10 and threshold at around 3 o'clock position when in a reasonably clean area and it seems to go a bit deeper and runs smooth and quiet. while air testing, i know is not the same, it is deeper. but, running the sense above 10 and max threshold? to me its not really worth it. false signals, chirpy, etc. i'm not an expert nor claim to be. i do this just as a hobby.
 
"Super Tuning" does not work well in highly mineralized soils. Too much gain, or "Sensitivity," can reduce your depth and cause falsing. Turning all your controls up to near max is a fool's paradise. Try it with your home stereo. Play your favorite song at a level where you can easily hear every instrument and note, then listen to it with the speakers cranked up to near maximum. What did you hear?
 
I don't "super tune" but my Vaq definitely gains an appreciable amount if and where I can set the sens well into the red. Much more depth improvement than I see in the umax machines I have when set in the red.
luvsdux
 
Rarely do crank it up all the way, too, as I have seen just as much treasure come from less than 8" where I hunt,
and I still find dinky pieces of metal with it on half the sensitivity, and the threshold just past a whisper
(of course, depending how noisy outside my headphones are at the time...!).
My machine isn't modified, so in mineralized soil, without my DD coil, turning up the sensitivity just messes things up
 
Lol. Is that what they are calling it now when you crank the sensitivity of a detector to an unusable level?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom