Suray x1 probe... why don't they make them anymore?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
This changeover dis-continuance occurred when the CTX came out, in the evolution of the Explorer. And that will not accomodate an inline probe. D/t the fact that since it's water-proof, every thing is sealed and hard-wired. Thus not allowing to insert an aftermarket in-line probe. That plus it wasn't the same electronics anyhow, so the prior x1's weren't compatible anyhow.

But what doesn't make sense, is that since Minelab still makes the E-TRAC, then I don't understand why Sunray therefore doesn't still make the x1 . Because the E-trac still belongs to the prior generation of explorers which IS compatible with the x1

Hence I look forward to the answer to this. The x1 is very popular for all the legions of fans still using the older explorers and Etrac. And since the x1 is no longer made, it's getting harder and harder to find x1's on the used market (for if your own x1 breaks or whatever).

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes a nice condition (used) newer short back model goes for $225.00 to as high as $300.00

I love mine...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunray "claims" it became too expensive to continue producing them, but that smells like a pile of bull scat. Considering the immense popularity of them, the high re-selling price, and people willing to send in their own rods to be modified it makes no sense. They won't even repair any of them any more.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sunray "claims" it became too expensive to continue producing them, but that smells like a pile of bull scat. Considering the immense popularity of them, the high re-selling price, and people willing to send in their own rods to be modified it makes no sense. They won't even repair any of them any more.

I think Minelab put a legal halt to them just like they are doing to Deus now. IMO

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Minelab put a legal halt to them just like they are doing to Deus now. IMO

I think that might have been the start of it. First they halted production of the Minelab probes, but since then they have stopped making all inline probes. The only thing they sell now are coils and headphones.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Sunray "claims" it became too expensive to continue producing them,.....

Jason, thanx for the input. I heard that same thing. I don't know why probes for one particular machine are/were any more expensive than all the various other machines they were making them for. But assuming for the moment it was a true that.... somehow this one particular type was more expensive to produce: Then seeing as how the "going rate" now for used ones is approaching $300 , isn't that incentive enough to justify the cost of production ?

I could understand if the Etrac was discontinued , that the supply and demand would eventually decrease. But in this case, the Etrac was still being manufactured. Bummer.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Can you elaborate on this ? If a manufacturer themselves isn't making this "mousetrap", then what do they care if someone else makes an aftermarket device like this ? By all means if it's a question of profit, then pppuuuulllleeeeassseee start making in-line probes yourself for your own products then :) The CTX would sell even more, for instance, if Minelab could/would ever incorporate a probe on them. The lack of a probe is the reason why legions of Explorer users stick to their Exp. II's, SE's, and etrac's afterall.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I REALLY miss using the probe on my E-Trac but it's not enough to make me move back from the CTX. Geeze, can you imagine how much Minelab would charge if they produced their own inline probe?!?!?!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yeah, I REALLY miss using the probe on my E-Trac but it's not enough to make me move back from the CTX. Geeze, can you imagine how much Minelab would charge if they produced their own inline probe?!?!?!

ha, I was the opposite. I just couldn't function without a probe (just got too spoiled by it for too man years). Real bummer, because I do a lot of beach hunting here in howling storms and waves. And have to wrap my machine with plastic and black tape. And have had 3 explorers "bite the dust" by getting dunked and water getting in despite my plastic attempts.

So my options were to get an Excalibur for the beach, or wrap my explorers each time. I much prefer the concise quick "beeps" rather than the long drawn out booongsss of the Excal. So I elect to take my chances with the explorer. They're equal in depth and ability in wet salt, so I just prefer the Explorer sounds. So when talk circulated about the introduction of the CTX ( which was basically an Explorer on steroids with lots more user options, and waterproof!) it was a dream. But alas, no probe .

And the 17" coil can go wickedly deep . Contract to the explorers where the 11" is about the "point of diminishing returns" for coin sized items. I would gladly pay double the going rate, if they could just incorporate a probe :(

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always enjoyed how much easier it was to change coils with the X-1 on the upper shaft. Never had to take anything apart, just wrap the cable a few times and screw it on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread