Swamp Gold

and there are other possible sources of confederate gold in florida * as well as "confederate treasury funds" --like money from confederate blockade runners from nassau and burmuda --- which might be CSA public funds (or private funds made by the captians or owners of CSA blockade runners (looking to hide their money for after the war use)* ( florida capitol city was one of the very last confederate capitols to fall by the way )

ivan salis said:
I read a lot a whole lot on many differant matters * -- there is a lot of very interesting information out there -- often not much is said by those who know where it is and what it is --for 2 main reasons ---#1 the info is housed in archie "knowledge" places -- ie collge and state "collections" -- and since archies don't like "treasure hunters" and weekend warriors --they keep the existance of these reams and reams of info very quiet -- only sharing them with fellow eggheads * once in a while normal folks "sniff out" these storage places and sources of info and spend hour upon digging thru these vast sums of knowledge looking for valuible nuggets of knowledge *long forgotten ( it was the charts that were found in the national archives that put "name" to the 1715 fleet after all)

the #2 reason is that once one treasure hunter finds a clue * he "hoards" the info gleaned from it for fear someone else will find his "precious"--- and if another starts looking for "his treasure "-he will trash talk thier "info" / throw red herrings in their way --- its the nature of the beast sadly.

Actually number 1 is one of the best places to research. ie colleges have great archive records.

Number 2, though is correct I find those that have the same desire I do on some things are deserving of my info. I guess you could say thru times of observation they earn my trust .
same as others have blessed me with help, still I never share anyones own personal hard work info with anyone about anything. I just don't feel thats right.

ivan salis said:
and there are other possible sources of confederate gold in florida * as well as "confederate treasury funds" --like money from confederate blockade runners from nassau and burmuda --- which might be CSA public funds (or private funds made by the captians or owners of CSA blockade runners (looking to hide their money for after the war use)* ( florida capitol city was one of the very last confederate capitols to fall by the way )

I got to correct you on that my friend

Florida's capital never fell to the Union. It was the only one that didn'teast of the mighty Mississippi :) mainly due to the successful confederate battle of Natural Bridge

Late in the war, in March 1865, a combined Union army and naval force assembled in the northern Gulf of Mexico off St. Mark's. Almost 1,000 Union troops, including several hundred Florida soldiers in the 2nd Florida Union Cavalry, landed near the St. Mark's lighthouse and prepared to move inland. The initial targets of the expedition appear to have been the town and fort of St. Mark's. However, with a large Union force moving inland, the Confederates thought that there was a clear danger to the capital city, Tallahassee.
Following a skirmish at Newport bridge on the St. Mark's River, the Union commander, Brigadier General John Newton, decided to conduct a night march north to Natural Bridge in hopes of crossing the river unopposed. Observant Confederate scouts reported the move, and the southern field commander, Brigadier General William Miller, redirected his forces in the area to meet the threat. The southern troops consisted of both Florida cavalry and artillery soldiers, supplemented with young and old militia members, and a small group of young cadets from the Florida Military Institute in Tallahassee.

At dawn on March 6, 1865, the sound of gunfire could be heard at the Natural Bridge crossing. The first attempt by the Union troops to cross quickly was checked by southern fire. Both sides reinforced their positions during the morning, and the northern troops searched for another way across the river. Unable to find another crossing point, the federal commander chose to force a passage at Natural Bridge. Near midday the Union troops of the 2nd and 99th U.S. Colored Infantry regiments attacked. For several hours the woods and swamps echoed with the sounds of battle.

The Confederates had the advantages of a solid defensive position, more cannons, and, by the end of the battle, more troops. After finally realizing that they could not successfully force their way across Natural Bridge, the Union troops broke off the engagement and retreated to the safety of the coast. The battle resulted in 148 casualties for the northern side and 26 casualties for the southern side.

The Confederate victory ensured that Tallahassee would remain in southern hands for the remainder of the war--the only southern capital east of the Mississippi River with that distinction.

bigcypresshunter said:
Bridge End Farm said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Bridge End Farm said:
Big C

Hope you got a library card cause time as come, you needed one for you to start reading :icon_study: :wink:

check your email it is pretty simple the legend code I gave at front of it

need any help decphering let me know thats everything I have on references

if it pays off remember me :wink:

I would appreciate that list staying between you and I

Thanks
OK I got it thanks. Thats quite a list of books/articles on the subject. Where did you get all this? You must have been collecting this for a long time. Maybe this is what I have been looking for. Thanks again. I guess Im headed to the library. ;D :icon_study: :-X

yes it is years of study, I think you will find the well in there too if I remember right
Ill keep you informed of any progress.

Not everything will apply to your quest but it is everything I have on where it could be

If I am not around when you do find it, if you like remember Cynangyl new granddaughter if I helped.

when the war ended "offically" all the confederate capitols fell ---that is what I meant by it was the "last"--- it was lost or "fell" by the surrender --not by being "taken" during the war by union troops.
(as the last "free" southern capitol city in the southeast )-- it was in effect the last bastion of the south ,since all the other southern capitol cities east of the mississippi had fallen already--- florida's capitol was "the last to fall" (by surrendering to union forces as part of the "south's surrender" -- it offically "fell")

florida state flag --the unstained white background for the "pure" clean record of not giving up till the war was "offically" ended by the confederate govt and for not being "taken" during the war --the red "cross bars" for the blood spilled by brave floridians to keep their capitol free.

During the spring of 1865, the infrastructure of the Confederacy collapsed. The northern advantages of superior numbers of troops, combined with a huge industrial base, had exhausted the South in a four-year war of attrition.

General Lee's once-mighty Army of Northern Virginia was starving and, after the abandonment of Petersburg and Richmond, outmaneuvered by a relentlessly pursuing Union Army of the Potomac. Lee surrendered to General Grant at Appomattox Court House, Virginia, on April 9, 1865.

Unable to link up with General Lee, the South's other major field army, the Army of Tennessee, under the command of General Joseph E. Johnston, surrendered on April 26th at Durham Station, North Carolina.

As part of the surrender of the Army of Tennessee, other areas in the Southeast, including Florida, were instructed to yield to federal troops. Parole document

News of the war's end reached Florida in rumors and fragments later in April and in early May. Several months before, Florida's Governor Milton had proclaimed that death would be preferable to reunion, and on April 1, he ended his life with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The state's adjutant general removed the retired battle flags from the capitol and turned them over to his sister to hide them to prevent them from falling into Union hands.

The people of Florida greeted the end of the war in very different ways. For Lieutenant Francis Fleming, a Florida Confederate officer whose brother had been killed in battle the year before, the end was "a sad and terrible result." In contrast, for some other Florida troops, weary and anxious finally to go home, the news of the war's end was greeted with cheers. In Union-occupied areas of the state, cannons boomed victory salutes.

On May 10, 1865, Union Brigadier General Edward McCook and his staff entered Tallahassee without incident. McCook and his occupation force had come from Macon, Georgia, to establish federal control and authority in Florida. Confederate troops signed parole documents agreeing not to fight and turned over military equipment to federal authorities.

In a May 20th ceremony marking the formal transition of power, Union troops raised a large United States flag over the state capitol. On the same day, General McCook announced the Emancipation Proclamation, formally freeing enslaved blacks in Florida.

The war was over for Florida, and the uncertain period of Reconstruction began

ivan salis said:
florida state flag --the unstained white background for the "pure" clean record of not giving up till the war was "offically" ended by the confederate govt and for not being "taken" during the war --the red "cross bars" for the blood spilled by brave floridians to keep their capitol free.

So greatly stated.

BridgeEnd wrote
didn't the Confederate Secretary Of State traveled/escaped with Union Forces after them through the whole state of Florida minus the panhandle enroute to the Bahamas for safe haven. Yet though there is not much on his flight as far as the wheres, hows, etc. of the escape for example.

An account of this adventure is online, written by an Aide of President Davis at the MOA site
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-...u/cgi-bin/moa/moa-cgi?notisid=ABP2287-0047-19

...it is an interesting article IMHO. John Taylor Wood mentions bribing a guard with two $20 gold pieces, and purchasing food with five gold eagles, seems this party did escape with at least a little gold and DID flee through Florida. One incident I found particularly interesting was that they contacted a Captain Dickinson who just happened to be at Waldo for assistance in escaping. Waldo is where Jeff Davis's trunk, rifle etc were captured in June, so it certainly appears there was a plan for the escape of Davis and cabinet, and they had chosen Waldo FLA as a point to meet with Dickinson. Capt Dickinson is also a person of interest, as he was a successful cavalry commander and clearly had pre-arranged for boats, food etc for escaping Confederates.

Anyway I would not dismiss all possible connections to the CSA treasury with the story of the swamp gold at this point. If we had a record of the incident that would prove no connection, then we could dismiss the CSA treasury entirely.
Oroblanco

psst -- confederate Capt John Jackson Dickison at the "offical" time of his surrender / parole on may 20 of 1864 in waldo (later found to be -- Col Dickison -- his promotion (dated before he surrendered thus "offically" he was a Col. )was in the dispatches which was carried by confederate sec of state breckenridge which Dickison met in waldo and helped to escape to cuba ) ---Dickison wrote the confederate history of the civil war in florida * ---he was known as the "swamp fox" or "DIXIE" by union forces and was a master tactican holding many times his strength of union forces at bay and on edge during the war -- I happen to have a copy of his account of the civil war in florida * a very detailed and informative read it is too. --he was set up to help jeff davis escape like breckenridge did but jeff davis was taken in irwinville , ga by union troops while enroute to meet Dickison in waldo.

J J Dickison was HIGHLY ACTIVE FROM THE UPPER NORTHERN PARTS OF FLORIDA / GA STATE LINE TO THE TAMPA AREA **** ( which included the waldo area) and he knew the area as well as anyone could --- without a doubt-- he would have been the "go to guy" for such a hard task as helping the treasury and high ranking confederate govt type folks escape .

* confederate military history (volume 11 of 13 ) texas and florida ( published by the blue and grey press-- edited by GEN Cement A Evans)-- florida's confederate history written by J J Dickison

oh by the way some of capt / col dickison's " good ole boys" in his command company "H" ( which never numbered over 200 cavalry men at any one time* hit fast and hard small unit tactics was his style ) well some of these men came from families that still reside in nassau county (my hometown) :wink: yep their great grand sons and daughters live all around me. ;D

Real de Tayopa said:
Cypress, you posted -->

You found Tayopa?
~~~~~~~~~~

Yep, now go get your confederate money and send me a bottle of San Miguel export..

Don Jose de La Mancha
I guess you retired from the windmill tilting business... or was it just a hobby? I will go back and read your old posts. I remember you were looking for one good investor to hasten the search. You have led an interesting life for sure. :thumbsup: Congrats. sanmiguelex.jpg

Thank you Oroblanco and Ivan. You have given me so many referrences it will take me awhile to study it all.

And I guess I should thank SWR for telling me Im chasing a fantasy. I realize I need more verifiable data (that is the sole reason I started this thread) but maybe your extreme negativity has helped bring more references to my attention.

HI again Cypress, actually I have yet to recover a single $ from Tayopa for many reasons, but I see that I did rceive a bottle of San Miguel, gracias mi amigo.. I am content with Tayopa though., and it will come.

NOW GOI GET THAT CONFED MONEY !! Fascinating story with enough fragments of information to be true.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Real de Tayopa said:
HI again Cypress, actually I have yet to recover a single $ from Tayopa for many reasons, but I see that I did rceive a bottle of San Miguel, gracias mi amigo.. I am content with Tayopa though., and it will come.

NOW GOI GET THAT CONFED MONEY !! Fascinating story with enough fragments of information to be true.

Don Jose de La Mancha
I will continue walking and canoeing the swamps because I love it but I will not physically search anymore until I can find some more verifiable data. Im going to do my searching for now in the library. ;D

Attachments

• guarding bridge.jpg
    guarding bridge.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 576
big cy ---to save you a bit of time --Dickison said nothing "publically or in writing for many , many years" about about his helping beckinridge escape or any other "plans" to assist other important high ranking confederate officals or money escape while he was telling the "offical" story of the confederate military history of florida -- which given the time is quite understandible---- since he had "offically" surrendered on may 20th , 1864 and as such was offically on "parole" at the time he gave the aid to beckinridge and part of the terms of parole was that he was not to give aid or assistance in any way to any confederates or take part in any type ofactions against the US GOVTS interest (-- oh *** like say helping to assist in escape of high ranking rebels leaders and / or CSA funds to foreign counties ) as such his actions in aiding the confederate govt officals were a "offically" a very serious crime for which he could have been charged by the us govt..****(at the very least he could have been jailed and fined heavily -- at the worse possibly hung or shot)---- only much much later was J J Dickison's true role in history fully reveled when it was no longer any danger to him or his family for the general public to know of it.
*****google book search for this book online --"confederate seadog" by john bell --start at page 45 -- it tells of how dickison gave the gig taken off the union vessel columbine (which he had earlier defeated ) to woods and beckinridge to escape with along a pistol and 2 of his men "on parole" to assist them. --it tells the story of and routes taken during the escape .

as an added bonus -- fort meade * near tampa was the starting point of the "cattle drives" by the cracker "confederate cattle drivers"---( according to a 1940's story told by the grandson of one of the cattle drivers) --- my ideal of the swamp money is thus it is either confedrate treasury money hidden by J J Dickison and freinds for smuggling out of the country ( on blockade runners) or else it might be from this source *** the paymaster (and maybe a couple troops) might have come from fort meade to fort brooke ( both forts in the general tampa area) to pick up / recieve money (for army payroll or beef payments) brought in by the blockade runners from overseas and got caught up in a union raid on fort brooke during that time and fled into the swamp hiding the money ( they were later captured and kept prisioner for the rest of the war) after the war ended--- they returned to the area and searched for the money but were unable to it. (thus the tale of the swamp money payroll)

ivan salis said:
big cy ---to save you a bit of time --Dickison said nothing "publically or in writing for many , many years" about about his helping beckinridge escape or any other "plans" to assist other important high ranking confederate officals or money escape while he was telling the "offical" story of the confederate military history of florida -- which given the time is quite understandible---- since he had "offically" surrendered on may 20th , 1864 and as such was offically on "parole" at the time he gave the aid to beckinridge and part of the terms of parole was that he was not to give aid or assistance in any way to any confederates or take part in any type ofactions against the US GOVTS interest (-- oh *** like say helping to assist in escape of high ranking rebels leaders and / or CSA funds to foreign counties ) as such his actions in aiding the confederate govt officals were a "offically" a very serious crime for which he could have been charged by the us govt..****(at the very least he could have been jailed and fined heavily -- at the worse possibly hung or shot)---- only much much later was J J Dickison's true role in history fully reveled when it was no longer any danger to him or his family for the general public to know of it.

Excellent true point on him and others too Ivan

also an excellent book you referenced for those that have not read it

thanks bridge as I'm sure you know I do read massive amounts of info from many differant sources ( my mind craves constant input)
-- often when speaking on a subject some folks love to yell -----"show me where it was written down at the time !!! wheres your proof!!! " * -- what some folks fail to realize is some times for various reasons some things were NOT recorded promptly (often for a very good reason too) sometimes these tales were only recorded much later by family members (sons / daughters -grandsons or granddaughters) or by close freinds of the folks who actually did the deeds.---(the fact of the matter is that JJ Dickison "offically" broke his "parole" or terms of surrender by helping beckinridge escape )--for which he could be charged with treason and arrested and at the very least jailed and heavily fined --or at the worse hung or shot) needless to say Mr Dickison (like any sane person) would not be eager for the union forces to know of the fact that he took part in these events for exactly that reason (and thus Dickison would NOT have written down the details of doing it--only a fool would do so-- since it would be in effect be a written"confession" OF COMMITTING A SERIOUS CRIME !!) so needless to say there is no "written record" of the event until much later when the danger of punishment for doing what he had did had long since past.-- WHEN THINKING OF THE PAST AND RECORDS ONE MUST THINK OF SUCH THINGS to really understand the history behind the records. Ivan

SWR said:
bigcypresshunter said:
And I guess I should thank SWR for telling me Im chasing a fantasy. I realize I need more verifiable data (that is the sole reason I started this thread) but maybe your extreme negativity has helped bring more references to my attention.

Please do not confuse my opinion(s) with false accusations of “extreme negativity”. None of our fellow posters in this thread has yet produced any plausible evidence that supports the story from the treasure hunting periodical, either.

The thread keeps spinning off to theories of the Confederate Treasury, which has absolutely nothing to do with this story. Odd how that happens, and that is not why you created this thread.

Other than holding your hand, and leading your to the treasure….I’ve got nothing but my own opinions to offer. Then again, that is all the others can offer, is their opinion. The story is just that…a story. It does not even qualify as a legend. :dontknow:
OK Thanks for helping and thanks for your opinion. 8)

I dont have a problem with members spinning off with theories, as long as they make it perfectly clear that they are just theorizing. Sometimes the line can become blurred between fact and fiction and I agree with you there.

Yes, I need to verify these "stories" with facts. Many periodicals have the same story and claims it is well documented. That is why I started this thread. If 10 periodicals have the same story and rumors persist down thru the generations, it can almost qualify as a legend. I remember reading this in the early 70's in an old treasure hunting book. The same book lists treasures since found.

I thought someone could help here and I think they have. Besides the theories, I have been given many links to search thru and I think BridgeEnd has sent me the books and authors that may give me what I need. Without revealing too much I may give my opinion, fact or fantasy, after I research these authors.

ivan salis said:
thanks bridge as I'm sure you know I do read massive amounts of info from many differant sources ( my mind craves constant input)
-- often when speaking on a subject some folks love to yell -----"show me where it was written down at the time !!! wheres your proof!!! " * -- what some folks fail to realize is some times for various reasons some things were NOT recorded promptly (often for a very good reason too) sometimes these tales were only recorded much later by family members (sons / daughters -grandsons or granddaughters) or by close freinds of the folks who actually did the deeds.---(the fact of the matter is that JJ Dickison "offically" broke his "parole" or terms of surrender by helping beckinridge escape )--for which he could be charged with treason and arrested and at the very least jailed and heavily fined --or at the worse hung or shot) needless to say Mr Dickison (like any sane person) would not be eager for the union forces to know of the fact that he took part in these events for exactly that reason (and thus Dickison would NOT have written down the details of doing it--only a fool would do so-- since it would be in effect be a written"confession" OF COMMITTING A SERIOUS CRIME !!) so needless to say there is no "written record" of the event until much later when the danger of punishment for doing what he had did had long since past.-- WHEN THINKING OF THE PAST AND RECORDS ONE MUST THINK OF SUCH THINGS to really understand the history behind the records. Ivan

yes your exactly right Ivan, I myself know of one place en-route they stayed and hide that is not written down and for that reason. They could be charged with treason and shot or hung back then. Now I might be bias on my source but I do believe my old timer kin folks that taught and educated me on history as a young man. Now if they left a lot of money there that part I don't know but I doubt it as they knew they needed to pay again down the line.

some "southern history" was only verbal for good reason * -- people could and were charged with treason , war crimes ( at times whole northern freindly towns were put to the torch during the war ) and other stuff , so often southerners thought it best to speak of war happenings and events only to direct kin and very close freinds (often in the same unit) and never put anything in writing ( because anything in writing could be used in a trial as a "written confession" against them or others ) thus often southern family civil war history was oral only until the family members that were directly invovled in the civil war events had died off. --once that happened then the " family history" was finally offically "written down".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back