Swamp Gold

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep thus the --even "privately" part of my statement -- e mail is not as "private" as most folks like to think it is -- always remember when online --- that "big brother " can and does moniter the web at will.

cell phones since they are not "hard wired" like a "land line" do not require a "wire tap" to be issued to moniter them --since you are in effect "broadcasting" a signal to the cell tower no "expectation of privicy" is assumed-- they never "updated" the telephone laws to fit the technology because it suits the govt to be able to eves drop at will. without having to get wire tap permits . -- that why bad guys use "throw away phones" these days .

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
SWR said:
Bridge End Farm said:
ivan salis said:
the best way to "prove" it is to actually find the money ---but then if we did --who amoung us would be a big enough fool to say so and show it publcly ? ---or even privately for that matter. --since any leak about it being found would have the various govt folks and tax folks and archies on you like white on rice. --to open your mouth would be really asking for the "full treatment" and brother I'd bet you'ld get it too.

only a fool would say ::) if they ever did find any of these myths or legends.

even online in personal mail etc as it is stored somewhere on a server

Careful how you classify. We do have a few TreasureNet members who claim(ed) to have found myths and legends :o

I believe what people wish to disclose on here is their own decision and their own choice
That helps prove in Myths or legends. There are folks onn here I'd trust with my life
and there are those I am not as trusting of

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
as far as what folks want to disclose --yep its up to them 100 % -- your right bridge end --- buti its my personal belief that to disclose in a public forum to the world a find of old confederate gold that if found most likely had to come from either federal or indain res ground most likely * would open a legal can of trouble that no sane person would want. just my 2 cents on the matter .but hopefully by pooling knowledfge and resource's some day --someone will be a very happy person. :wink:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI judy Luv, room: as far as Tayopa goes, I can talk all that I wish openly since it is a mine. IT is well known here that I have found it, plus it is now legally titled in my wife's name. Tayopa #1, #2 , 200480, 207461, 1200 Hect. in the mining registry.

But, regarding the deposits, not one word. I have found that the word "Tayopa", or "Real_Tayopa @ hotmail.com" triggers a "retain" response in the Mexican Gov't office in Hermosillo. This four story building monitors all enternet traffic going into or out of Mexico.

I have no doubt that the same, or even more advanced equipment exists in the US, and that all net traffic in sites such as this, is monitored.

For that I have installed encryption, for what it is worth. I feel that if they can enter your computer, they can recall the key.

Incidentally, this Rebel Gold deposit has far more actual data to go on than Tayopa did. So I believe that it has a relatively solid basis. It is just that the key hasn't been deduced or found yet. But it will be. Sooo get to cracking my friends.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
SWR said:
Has anyone even scrutinized the story? Does it really sound that believable to ya'll?

I truly believe it and am 100 percent certain something was there
I am not 100 percent certain it is still there as I know many old treasure hunters
that shared thier life stories with me as a young lad. So I know how they operated

When I move back to Central Florida area I am gonna drag Big C with me into those swamplands
and help him find it

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
SWR said:
Bridge End Farm said:
SWR said:
Has anyone even scrutinized the story? Does it really sound that believable to ya'll?

I am not 100 percent certain it is still there as I know many old treasure hunters
that shared their life stories with me as a young lad. So I know how they operated

When I move back to Central Florida area I am gonna drag Big C with me into those swamplands
and help him find it

I wonder. Why would the KGC want to squirrel away $200,000 in Europe in 1862. Did they somehow know the Confederacy would lose the war? And, why ship it to Europe when Canada was much closer.

I believe some did. Most of those men were smart businessmen and not dumb at all. They knew without outside foreign countries help and trade their textiles like cotton and other raw goods for steel type hardware like guns, powder, cannons etc they just didn't have the industry strength of the north and it would only be a matter of time.

We ourselves as a country would not of won the Revolutionary War probably without outside help from foreign lands. Remember it wasn't us that cut England's retreat off from the sea to prevent a counter attack.

$200,000 dollars is not a lot of money when you talk payrolls, etc back then as Ivan said I think

Lets just say as an average they made $15 a month as I don't remember what they were paid
my granddad in 1910 was making about $5 a week then so I figure the $15 is a good number to guess with
for a months pay was for an average 50 years earlier since rank makes a difference.

That's only a little over 13,000 troops and most didn't get paid monthly but every few months so you can keep dropping the number of troops it would pay even more and more for the months they were due.

I know of many legends where Confederate Gold is hidden in different areas in Florida alone not just down south in those swamps. They hid and buried many things to keep them out of union hands all over the south.

Would I tell you if I knew any of it was found personally

:-X

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
JudyH said:
Bridge End Farm said:
SWR said:

that shared their life stories with me as a young lad. So I know how they operated

and help him find it

:thumbsup: Here's to Boat Drinks in the Bahama's with silly umbrellas in 'em..... :wink:
I'll expect a postcard.... :icon_sunny:

Judy

Bahamas lol I always reinvest in America :)
so maybe St Croix :wink:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
HOLA amigos,

SWR wrote
Why. Did you create this legend? Please stop the drama

It appears that you did not read past the first sentence, the next one said, quote

Honestly SWR sometimes it is just the way you write your posts, they come across as intentionally insulting.

end quote

Ivan Sails wrote
but then MRS O spoke of TC Reynods

I don't believe that Mrs O is following this particular thread, I am "Mr" O, but I take NO offense amigo as we both follow many similar threads.

SWR wrote
SWR did not "in effect" call anyone a liar, he simply stated there was no such person as TC Reynolds.

Hmm, and you not only do not see your statement as indirectly calling me a liar, and will not acknowledge that in fact you were completely in error/off base in saying that there never was any such person as TC Reynolds. I only mentioned TC Reynolds as I found him in the Official Record, and you then stated that there never was any such person. Yep I can see how that is not calling me a liar, in your world.

SWR wrote
Anytime you enter into a debate, or discussion, it is always best have a support structure when making extraordinary claims. Statements and claims of unbelievable accomplishments are frequently challenged.

Well, you stated there was no such person as TC Reynolds, when in fact Thomas Caute Reynolds was a somewhat important figure in the Confederacy, governor of Missouri and some officer rank which may have been rather "honorary". This particular Reynolds did in fact flee the country and made it to Mexico after the war, where he served Emperor Maximilian in some capacity. Your 'advice' is sound, if you would also follow it we would likely not have quite so much of the 'drama' you so strongly find offensive.

Judy H wrote
Thought this might interest you, Oro.....

Thank you for the link, that is very interesting! :thumbsup:

SWR wrote

On first reading it, my reaction was that this was yet another phony story written for the magazines to make a few bucks for the writer, however most "legends" are based on factual events, just distorted. Even the 1862 date used in this story, is NOT necessarily a red herring - for the CS government was buying war supplies from foreign countries and entities almost from day one of the war, so getting hard cash out of the country and into the hands of the foreign suppliers was a problem with the Federals blockading southern ports. I am not sure about Federal troops being very active in Florida in 1862, but with this story it could have been quite small forces involved - even a handful of soldiers from a single warship chasing down suspected CS blockade runners. Your skepticism appears ill-founded SWR, but it is good to keep a skeptical mind when dealing with stories of lost treasures. If this incident actually happened in 1862 rather than 1865, when we know of several CS officials fleeing the country with money, then we can not rule out Major BL Reynolds unless we could prove that he was never in Florida at any time during that year. Yes BL Reynolds was KIA at Cold Harbor 1864, but in 1862 he was certainly available for a mission of getting hard cash shipped out of the Confederacy.

So I have to say that my "bet" is on this story in reality being a distorted version of what happened in 1865, but still quite possible to be as described in 1862. If I lived in Florida or was spending time there on vacation, I would not hesitate to go out and hunt for this treasure - even if you find nothing, you are sure to have a great time.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you all find the treasures that you seek! :thumbsup: :coffee2:
Oroblanco

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BC: Twenty bucks says you never expected all of this over such a simple question....LOL. Have a good one friend.

Deepsix

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I (corrected*) my post make that MR O NOT MRS O--MY BAD THE REST STANDS HOWEVER.

I too beleve that the tales if they are indeed of the 1862 time frame might in involve blockade runner money *( being taken to /or from) known blockade runner areas near tampa * and if thats so then major BL reynolds of florida could indeed possibly be involved.

now if the tales are of the late 1864 /65 time frame -- then BL reyonlds is either not the major reyolds in the tale (thus some other major reynolds was the one) or Major BL Reynolds "death" at cold harbor was faked to allow him go on this mission (a mission if found out that would assure a "price" on his head by the US Govt ) the fake death was so he could assume a new iID / life later on after the mission was over.

over time "old" tales can and do become "muddled" winding in and out and sometime blending together -- but often theres a grain of truth in many tall tales.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
try this statement instead of "for one reason or another" ---the men that buried it in a rush while being chased by union forces ---quite simplely "LOST" IT --the chest was not recovered because the men that buried it " LOST ITS EXACT BURIAL LOCATION" in the swamp and thus could not find it to retrieve again -(THEY HAD THE GENERAL SPOT DOWN AS FAR AS WHAT IT GENERALLY LOOKED LIKE AND ROUGHLY WHERE IT WAS) HOWEVER THEY COULDN'T FIND IT EXACTLY AGAIN-ever been in a really large "everything is green and looks the same" swamp ? - today we got gps and all sorts of fancy locator type stuff back then it was just "you had to know where in the heck you were" (folks could get lost and die in a swamp unable to find their way out)..

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
HOLA amigos,

Ivan Sails wrote
I (corrected*) my post make that MR O NOT MRS O--MY BAD

I was NOT offended amigo, we all make such minor errors and it doesn't matter, just wanted you to know it was me. ;D :thumbsup:

SWR wrote
Full circle....what men? what union forces? What alleged KGC who(m) had $200,000

If you are not able to follow this thread, I suggest checking back in the previous posts. I believe the whole purpose of trying to identify which officer was being referred to as "Major Reynolds" and trying to find a specific incident that fits the story, was to determine whether the story was bogus or based on a real incident. We already have enough to show that the story likely has a basis in fact, the key problem now is not in tracing whether the KGC had $200,000, (they most surely did, BTW) but to pin down the search area to the best place to hunt first. I am convinced that our friend Ivan has the scenario pinned - the men who buried the money may well have been lost at the moment, probably were in a great rush and almost certainly would not have been able to find it again even if they had been able to search for it. To a southern patriot, it was better for the gold to be lost forever, than to have it fall into the hands of the hated enemy. Simply trying to cast doubts and confuse the facts is not helping anyone.

SWR - I notice that you still have not conceded that you were mistaken about TC Reynolds, which does tend to make folks wonder about your manners or lack of them.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek - even if you don't believe there are such things as lost treasures! :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes a letter written in jeff davis's own hand stating that there was no Major T C Reynolds in florida handling confederate gold at any time ---MIGHT - help prove to the doubters that your "claim" that "there was no Major T C Reynolds in florida" is true -- your "extraordinary claim" --needs "extraordinary proof" --- your own words that you qoute so often ==== where is your "proof" to back said claim ?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
SWR wrote
There was no such person as Major Thomas C Reynolds in Florida.

Evidently, you chose not to acknowledge your misinformation about there being a Major T.C. Reynolds in the 21st Texas. Heck...his name was not even Reynolds....but, McReynolds

Well first, your attempt to classify my posts as "whining" are just silly. Your rude responses do not help your argument that this story is "fable" as you term it.

Next, you have made yet another sweeping statement which you cannot hope to prove, saying that there was no such person as Maj Thomas C Reynolds in Florida. Can you prove this to be fact? We already know that is not possible. Your insistence that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" works both ways - so now you have stated that there was no such person, well prove it. Otherwise you are just another double-standard type working to discourage others from the search for treasure. Or can you not live up to your own standards?

Next, my use of bold fonts is to bring certain statements to your (and others) attention, as some people seem to read the first sentence and nothing beyond that. So unless you own the site, I will continue to use bold fonts for the purpose stated. Quit your whining about it. :stop:

SWR You now also claim that what I read in the OR was a Maj McReynolds in command of the 21st Texas, which is not what I read. Have you read the entire Official Record, that you can state with authority that what I read is wrong? I MAY be mistaken, but unfortunately did not save a link to the page so cannot prove it. However I am pretty certain that the name was NOT "McReynolds" as that would not have escaped notice.

Now to attempt to get back on track here - there was a Major Reynolds in Florida in 1862! He was in command of a battalion of US Marines - so now I have to ask if this story might not have gotten into error here? Check out this report,
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-....edu/cgi-bin/moa/moa-cgi?notisid=ANU4547-0012
(Several other reports in same book, all referring to same US Major Reynolds)

Is it possible that Major Reynolds was not the name of the CSA officer with the gold, but of the US marine officer pursuing them?

Thank you all, if I should turn up anything relevant I will post it here. :thumbsup: :coffee2:
Oroblanco

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if 1862 era ---Major BL Reynolds * of florida is a excellent possible candidate ( althought the "thomas" name part doesn't fit properly ) -- and then there was there was a T C Reynold *** name "matches up right ---hes a high ranking type confederate person too --( the govenor of missouri * -- who might have held rank of Major at the time in 1862 maybe )

if the union army knew about and was trying to intercept these money shipments *--- a "straight arrow" union pay master (bean counter type ) logically would be on hand to "take charge" of the money if found to prevent it being "looted" and pocket by the "regular everyday union troops" -- being pay masters --they were considered to be more "trust worthy" union loyal men.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
now its said as a "fact" by SWR --that there was NO MAOR THOMAS C REYNOLDS IN FLORIDA * --- please prove this "fact".

and good luck on doing it ---since you can prove who was there * via confederate musters and rolls and documents , since they recorded who was there.

however no record was kept that listed who WAS NOT THERE !

you stated as fact -- there was no major thomas c reynolds * in florida ---- so now try "prove" the very "fact" you stated!!!----

since you did not say "I have found no record of a major thomas c reynold listed as being in florida during that time frame" (since that could mean maybe there could be one --but you however found no proof of it in your searching)

I'm waiting....

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bk hi JUDY B&B, you are still hitting 4.0 as usual. However since swr voted for Obama --------- sigh, don't expect to much logic, so humor him a bit so that he will feel good again. I must admit that he did post a "couple" of normal, and logical posts, for which I complimented him, but ------>

PBSR and accessories still forlornly awaits..

Don Jose de a Mancha

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
HOLA amigos,

SWR wrote
Cool...now the story changes gears to a Major J.G. Reynolds in the Union.

That certainly proves ole SWR wrong that a Major Thomas Reynolds was enlisted in Florida, CSA

I see that you are wanting someone to do the research for you, to show you a set of official records that "fits" the story with precision, which is not the case with any legend. Perhaps you have not researched enough 'legends' of lost treasures to have learned that they are usually based on factual events, with garbled and/or exaggerated details. My question is along the lines of trying to find the ROOT of this story, and where error(s) may lie. You are sure free to continue to insist that someone else go and hunt down an incident which "fits" the story exactly in every detail, but please don't expect that anyone is going to do this for you just to "prove" it to you - especially considering your past reactions when facts are found that lend credence to what you term "fables".

*Side note here*
If my use of BOLD type for the purpose of bringing attention to certain statements is bothering you that much SWR, you do have the option of complaining to the moderators about me. I think you will not find any such bold type used for insults.

SWR wrote
See, this is where a thread goes to crap. Instead of posting about the topic and exchanging information and ideas (good or bad)....the proponents of this fabel and my stalkers would rather post about me.

What now, you are being persecuted if someone disagrees with your complaints? I have no bone to pick with you SWR, in fact if you have any particular treasure that you are hunting for, that you would like some assistance in researching - I would be happy to provide what help I can, which may or may not be useful to your search. Just start a thread and let me know - perhaps you may get a little help in finding a treasure. :thumbsup:

Back to our topic here, even if we have the full roster lists of ALL the men of Florida who served in the Confederate armed forces (remember we don't know if this Major was Army, Navy etc) it would not prove that no Major Thomas Reynolds was in Florida, as the man of the story very well could be a native of another state, or even another country. The story simply does not specify the nativity of Maj. Reynolds.

I think the Federal raid on Fernandina (Florida) is a possible tie in to this story, as it is during 1862, (March 4th) the Federals did "win" the battle and captured the town along with a train, (supposedly just missing capture of Senator Yulee, who they believed escaped on a train that left as the assault took place) some US troops did pursue inland and also followed the RR tracks besides capturing a small boat with a CS surgeon and a number of CS govt mules. The story states that the "paymaster" (in the Confederate forces it seems they were not actually called that but 'Quartermaster') was running after the Federals had just won a victory. In this particular battle we do have a Major Reynolds involved but on the US side. So far I have only read the Union reports of the action, haven't located the relevant CS reports.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions