Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There are many articles in JSTOR, I tried to pick out a few that may have some good information, I put them on a dropbox here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14091323/Ft. Myers.zip

It won't be here for long, but I will keep it up for a few weeks. If there is something more specific let me know.

More specific anything involving the Everglades, Capt Riley or the gold shipment or his capture. The link wont open for me.

Last edited:

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
More specific anything involving the Everglades, Capt Riley or the gold shipment or his capture. The link wont open for me.

I just tested the link, it seems to work, but its a download/zip file so its not going to open a doc on your screen.

You can search JSTOR, in fact you may be able to search the Harvard Library Harvard Libraries, it will just not let you download the articles, so if you see something that matches on the search I can grab it for you.

I don't recall anything specific to gold or riley. There seems to be very little information On any captain riley, but I will try to search more. I search "Capt John Riley", Capt. John Riley" and "Captain John Riley", but I didn't try "Capt. Riley" and "Capt Riley" and "Captain Riley". I will also try Fort Myers and Gold.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The ghost town is probably Horseshoe Head offlimits on the Indian Reservation. I havent actually laid it out yet on a map.

I just tried to lay this out. First, they don't give you enough information to properly pinpoint.

"The site was described as being located at the point of an angle formed by a line 40 miles due west of Ft. Lauderdale, and another line due northwest of the Miami City Hall until it met the first line."

I take this to mean draw a line from Ft. Lauderdale for 40mi West. I used the site of Ft. Lauderdale that was at the split of the New River. Horseshoe Head is about 43mi W from Ft. Lauderdale.

For the Miami City Hall I am using 3500 Pan American Drive Miami, Florida 33133, I am not sure if that is the location to base it off of. Horseshoe head is almost 44mi from this location at an almost 45 degree angle. So give or take a few degrees and +/- a mile or two this does pretty much hit around horseshoe head.

Googles elevation always seems to disappoint, i have not seen anything that is substantial is rises around that area, only very shallow, or at best 1-2 foot increases. If someone has topo maps of that area please share. Then again, the everglades has changed quite a bit over the last 100 years, so unless these camel humps were very substantial, its possible they no longer exist.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I just tried to lay this out. First, they don't give you enough information to properly pinpoint.

"The site was described as being located at the point of an angle formed by a line 40 miles due west of Ft. Lauderdale, and another line due northwest of the Miami City Hall until it met the first line."

I take this to mean draw a line from Ft. Lauderdale for 40mi West. I used the site of Ft. Lauderdale that was at the split of the New River. Horseshoe Head is about 43mi W from Ft. Lauderdale.

For the Miami City Hall I am using 3500 Pan American Drive Miami, Florida 33133, I am not sure if that is the location to base it off of. Horseshoe head is almost 44mi from this location at an almost 45 degree angle. So give or take a few degrees and +/- a mile or two this does pretty much hit around horseshoe head.

Googles elevation always seems to disappoint, i have not seen anything that is substantial is rises around that area, only very shallow, or at best 1-2 foot increases. If someone has topo maps of that area please share. Then again, the everglades has changed quite a bit over the last 100 years, so unless these camel humps were very substantial, its possible they no longer exist.
Give or take a few miles, the location is on the Miccosuki Indian Reservation. Signal, most Indians will not talk to a white man as a matter of fact are still at war. Even though I work on the reservation, I am not going to ask permission unless I have something more substantial. I have teamed up with a dowser (his website) http://mytreasurestory.com/ who may know the exact location but still I will not ask permission, besides the Indians have heard it all before.

The purpose of this thread is not so much to pinpoint the location in endless miles of swampland but to decide if the treasure even exists. I am concentrating my efforts at this time on historical research to decide if this legend has any basis of fact and enough merit to proceed.

As far as high ground there is plenty of it in the area and Horseshoehead is large (circled). There are also numerous smaller islands and its all on the edge of the Big Cypress National Preserve which is generally higher ground. The dark green vertical line is the Miccosukee Reservation boundary. North of the stairsteps-like boundary is called the "Addition Lands" and I am hoping to be working there when it finally opens next year. There is no sense going back out on foot and slogging through endless swamp until I can prove this treasure even exists. But Im getting closer every year lol.

Signal. you came online stating "If there is anything you want me to research, I can try to help. I have access to the entire Harvard University library, which is one of the largest in the country, as well as JSTOR and other e-resources."
But so far all you have done is post treasure book stories and information that we already know. I realize its a long thread and a lot to read and you didnt realize it. .

Back to the subject of research. Do you have any idea why your link will not open for me?

Attachments

• HorseshoeHead.jpg
    HorseshoeHead.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It seems that I am the one who is not reading lol. I just noticed your reply on the link and Im reading it now. Thanks.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
swamp? Remember Jack Nickelson in easy rider who got migraines?

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I just tested the link, it seems to work, but its a download/zip file so its not going to open a doc on your screen.

You can search JSTOR, in fact you may be able to search the Harvard Library Harvard Libraries, it will just not let you download the articles, so if you see something that matches on the search I can grab it for you.

I don't recall anything specific to gold or riley. There seems to be very little information On any captain riley, but I will try to search more. I search "Capt John Riley", Capt. John Riley" and "Captain John Riley", but I didn't try "Capt. Riley" and "Capt Riley" and "Captain Riley". I will also try Fort Myers and Gold.
Capt. John Riley Bless McIntosh was a blockade runner of some fame. I am convinced this is our man.

Bear with me as the new TN format is giving me fits. Besides being very slow on my computer, it sometimes does not show all the replys and yesterday my images were lost. I was able to repost some of them. All the unnecessary useless features here continue to aggravate me..

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am not a very good researcher of historical records and I definitely will need some help in that department. I just want to say thanks for the JSTOR and Harvard links. I will try to search myself.
http://www.jstor.org/ maps Exploring Florida Maps Homepage

Signal, is there a better place to search Civil War military records?

Last edited:

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I searched everything I could for John Riley Bless McIntosh and even tried Macintosh, but I came up with nothing for that name. I did find some articles on jefferson davis, payroll being split up and some of it being taken into north florida, but none of the names showed up in this story, and it was by steamer and horses it traveled into florida not train, although according to the article there were two trains, just not in florida

The Search for Lost Confederate Gold

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I searched everything I could for John Riley Bless McIntosh and even tried Macintosh, but I came up with nothing for that name. I did find some articles on jefferson davis, payroll being split up and some of it being taken into north florida, but none of the names showed up in this story, and it was by steamer and horses it traveled into florida not train, although according to the article there were two trains, just not in florida

The Search for Lost Confederate Gold

If JSTOR and Harvard links have no hits on Capt Riley, then they will be useless.

There is much information on the net about the Jeffereson Davis gold but nothing to convince me its the same legend but I will read it.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have located the Family Tree for John Riley. Please note his family records him as John Riley Bliss McIntosh not "Bless".

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I did find some articles on jefferson davis, payroll being split up and some of it being taken into north florida, but none of the names showed up in this story, and it was by steamer and horses it traveled into florida not train, although according to the article there were two trains, just not in florida
The steamer and horses are part of the Oklawaha River Confederate Treasury legend-CSA Col Hubbart L Hart's JAMES BURT (HARTLINE STEAMBOAT LINE)and CSA Capt J J Dickinson's cavalry.
There were three railroads involved-P & G RR,The Central RR,and The Florida RR.
Plantations where the Confederate Baggage and Treasure train and or wagons made stops-IRVIN PLANTATION May18,1865;CSA Capt Martins Plantation May 19,1865; Yullee's COTTONWOOD PLANTATION May 22,1865;CHESTNUT and HAILE PLANTATIONs May 23,1865;EARLE PLANTATION May 24,1865.
NOTE:This is about the trains that were used in Florida after the CHENNAULT PLANTATION incident at Washington ,Ga.

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So many of the old stories have changed over the years to the extent that you don't know what to believe. The bottom line is was there gold/silver buried and how do you now find the location when so much has changed in 150 years? The link to my website was put on here. I am not really a dowser. I have some rods and can find simple things.

I was led to this possible gold site by a 90 year old dowser/remote sensor back in 1990. It is actually withiin the area of the above map. I could not tell you who may have buried the gold and if it is really there it does not matter to me how it happened.

I found out about something that had happened in the past on the EXACT spot on the ground that the dowser said the gold was buried. He led me to this spot from over 10 miles away. I cannot put on this board the details as it could lead others to it. If Bigcypresshunter can get permission for a dig I will reveal the EXACT spot when there is a signed agreement and the equipment is on site. If he can't get permission I will try.

I beleive the gold is now at such a great depth that it will take a backhoe to get to. I also beleive the gold will show up with GPR. I am in no hurry on this site as I am very involved in another. I will tell you this much. This old man led me to many places. Once I find treasure at this current pirate silver dig EVERYONE will want to know of the other locations.

I may attempt to put together a REALITY show based on these treasure stories. I don't mean a contrived/faked/hokey/unrealistic one as a lot of the so-called shows out there are. I am interested in finding someone that can help make this happen.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
"If Bigcypresshunter can get permission for a dig I will reveal the EXACT spot when there is a signed agreement and the equipment is on site. If he can't get permission I will try."

Welcome to the discussion BigDogDad. I believe I will be able to get permission and an agreement and I am willing to try.

Im not sure they will sign anything but I will check into your request. I know that you cannot sue the tribe so Im not sure a contract on their lands would hold up in our court. This would be a question to ask a lawyer.

I will also ask about permission to video. From my experience working on the reservations, (both Seminole and Miccosukee) they dont like cameras.
I am having trouble typing. I dont know why the site is acting up for me.

Anyway here is the link to one of the other projects BigDogDad is working on. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cache-hunting/295354-pirate-treasure-trying-get-permit-dig-up.html Any comments are welcome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am waiting to talk with a tribal member that I trust. I think this is the best way. Im not sure a signed agreement would help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The last link is long but a must read to better understand the inner workings of the tribe. I only read the first 2 pages. They are very private people who never wanted or needed anything from us..

"This is not the United States," he told New Times in a 1995 interview "People don't understand that, and they never will"

Attachments

• not america resize half.jpg
    not america resize half.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread