What's new

Sweeeet 1865 Indian Head, My second 65 IH from this site!!

Ohio Jerry

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
842
Reaction score
152
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro
First coin from this cellarhole site was an 1865 Two Cent piece in excellent shape,then about a week later an 1865 IH.
Now after a month of regular visits to this site...ANOTHER 1865 Indian Head in even better shape than the first one. I didn't even need my digging trowel for this one since this coin was basically ON THE SURFACE! I got a good signal bouncing around in the high 60's VDI and showing an inch deep. When I took my foot to scrape away the leaves and sticks before digging ,I saw it laying right on the surface. I figured it would be a wheatie being so shallow but a little rubbing and I could see the headdress!! Yeah!.. I guess the guy was careless with his money in 1865 eh?
The crusty old no date Buffs were a bit of a surprise since everything else from this site has been 1800's era relics and coins.
It seems the soil here has been kind to the coppers (except fatties) and the way they are encrusted has preserved the surface very well. LOTS of q-tips and ammonia brought this 65 out of hiding after 143 years in the dirt. Lot's of pics so I'll let them tell the rest of the story ;D Thanks for lookin and Happy Hunting! Jerry
 

Attachments

  • 65 on surface.webp
    65 on surface.webp
    228.3 KB · Views: 679
  • 65 in hand.webp
    65 in hand.webp
    59 KB · Views: 673
  • 65 suspender clip.webp
    65 suspender clip.webp
    177.6 KB · Views: 661
  • 65 buff in hand.webp
    65 buff in hand.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 678
  • 65 overview.webp
    65 overview.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 637
  • 65 3 indians.webp
    65 3 indians.webp
    42 KB · Views: 637
  • 65 unclean closeup.webp
    65 unclean closeup.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 636
  • 65 peaking out.webp
    65 peaking out.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 632
  • 65 almost.webp
    65 almost.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 623
  • 65 obverse clean.webp
    65 obverse clean.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 628
  • 65 reverse dirty.webp
    65 reverse dirty.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 624
  • 65 reverse clean.webp
    65 reverse clean.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 613
Upvote 0
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
I love you Dad ... :-*... :thumbsup:
When you coming to Ohio to meet your new family? I"ll point ya towards some Indian Heads while your here..you know you wanna :wink:
 
She cleaned up nicely. Way to go. :thumbsup:
 
Great hunt, congrats on the nice finds. I like the way you show the progress of the cleaning. The IH is very very nice, one of my favorite coin types. WTG :thumbsup:
Glenn
 
Great hunt,Great story,Great pics!!!!!!!!!
Congrats OJ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Outstanding finds and cleanups. That IH looks like it was minted yesterday.
 
Great Story with great pics! Love the Indian Head, that is in great shape! Like how you showed the cleaning progression.
Thanks for posting it for us.

Mark
 
yo Ohio Jerry

From the land of the Bluenose....that is indeed a nice haul and great photos. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!
 
Awesome Injun there...Nice job :thumbsup: jgas
 
Great cleaning job on your Injun, Jerry!! It turned out real nice! :thumbsup:

Congrats on some great finds!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
 
Love the before and after shots of the Indian Head. Looks like it's in great shape. I love finding IH's. When they clean up nicely, they are beautiful coins. Congrats!
 
Looks like the indian head cent cleaned up really nice! :) :thumbsup:
 
Soooo coool. ;D 8) ;D 8) 8)

Nate found a nice 1859 but not nearly as sweet as that 1865. You are really doing well with those old IH's! :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

Great pics. :)

Bob
 
Great find on the IHs Jerry.
How did you clean them? It looks great! I found my first ones last week and just used hand soap and virating toothbrush. Not sure if that is right process.

SKD
WeDigOhio
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom