What's new

Sweeeet 1865 Indian Head, My second 65 IH from this site!!

Ohio Jerry

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
842
Reaction score
152
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro
First coin from this cellarhole site was an 1865 Two Cent piece in excellent shape,then about a week later an 1865 IH.
Now after a month of regular visits to this site...ANOTHER 1865 Indian Head in even better shape than the first one. I didn't even need my digging trowel for this one since this coin was basically ON THE SURFACE! I got a good signal bouncing around in the high 60's VDI and showing an inch deep. When I took my foot to scrape away the leaves and sticks before digging ,I saw it laying right on the surface. I figured it would be a wheatie being so shallow but a little rubbing and I could see the headdress!! Yeah!.. I guess the guy was careless with his money in 1865 eh?
The crusty old no date Buffs were a bit of a surprise since everything else from this site has been 1800's era relics and coins.
It seems the soil here has been kind to the coppers (except fatties) and the way they are encrusted has preserved the surface very well. LOTS of q-tips and ammonia brought this 65 out of hiding after 143 years in the dirt. Lot's of pics so I'll let them tell the rest of the story ;D Thanks for lookin and Happy Hunting! Jerry
 

Attachments

  • 65 on surface.webp
    65 on surface.webp
    228.3 KB · Views: 679
  • 65 in hand.webp
    65 in hand.webp
    59 KB · Views: 673
  • 65 suspender clip.webp
    65 suspender clip.webp
    177.6 KB · Views: 661
  • 65 buff in hand.webp
    65 buff in hand.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 678
  • 65 overview.webp
    65 overview.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 637
  • 65 3 indians.webp
    65 3 indians.webp
    42 KB · Views: 637
  • 65 unclean closeup.webp
    65 unclean closeup.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 636
  • 65 peaking out.webp
    65 peaking out.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 632
  • 65 almost.webp
    65 almost.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 623
  • 65 obverse clean.webp
    65 obverse clean.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 628
  • 65 reverse dirty.webp
    65 reverse dirty.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 624
  • 65 reverse clean.webp
    65 reverse clean.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 613
Upvote 0
Real good before and after pics!
CurbdiggerCarl
 
Great finds and great pictures!
 
W :o W!! Very nice job on cleaning that indianhead. It's a beauty! :icon_sunny:
 
Ohio Jerry those are some sweet finds. I have a question about your cleaning method of these old coins. The ammonia and q tip method. I know it is time consuming. Wet q tip and roll over the coin. But can it be used on Nickel and copper. I am finding old 1800's coins in my backyard. I was wondering can I do the same with the old coins I am finding.
 
Congrats on a great hunt!!!!!! The IH cleaned up nice !!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Nice work, buddy!


Keep it up. :thumbsup:
 
Hey Jerry, Sweet '65. You always dig the goodstuff! Congrats......Hogge :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom