Sweeping a signal?

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I read and read for noobs to dig every signal.
Now let me ask this........
Is that literally every signal? Or every single you can duplicate in a X pattern over target?
It's really hard diggin round here and that seems to be all I do is dig a little hole to find nothing🤔
I'm going on my 1st of many permissions I've recently been stacking up and want to do my best this morning.
I do have a couple cheapie pinpointers and they help on real targets but mainly just get poked in ghost holes and never beep. So I get a little heated, cover the hole, take a few giant steps away and start sweeping again.
So dig every signal or every confirmed signal? Thanks y'all🤘

Upvote 3

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
hollARDog

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess curiosity got me, I'ma do some measuring this morning.
Don't that it's a pissing match, I just want to see height to swing avg👍
And arms locked, arms extended.
I believe I have my pole set correct for my height. Hate the arm support,way to short. That's on the list to do as well🤔

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Machine.......New old style fisher f5. PP, you called it. I'm trying to work on that but at 45 with a 2mo now. Funds have shifted 🫣
Sites for now.......old farm land and home sites. Honestly have only been out 8-10 times since getting the new machine. And at only 1-2 hours at a time I really can't expect much at this point.
I do have a bucket full of randomness I've found just didn't post. Having the ground balance really helped me a lot here.
Future sites are in city limits of old country towns. People are cool and I'm getting permissions left and right. Just really want to know what I'm doing before I venture out to far😉
Really excited to share with y'all one site I'm itching to get in. Been dreaming about it for a couple years now. It's just on the corner of our property but has a kickbooty story I think y'all will dig.
OK
I think you will be ok-just need some more detecting time in to learn the machine a tad more.
lol... you need to work those detecting muscles.

Eat spinach or something :P
Oh I wish I had that sailor's forearms

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guess curiosity got me, I'ma do some measuring this morning.
Don't that it's a pissing match, I just want to see height to swing avg👍
And arms locked, arms extended.
I believe I have my pole set correct for my height. Hate the arm support,way to short. That's on the list to do as well🤔
You have to factor some things in.
Machine makes a basic machine-ergonomics is a huge factor in the quality of detecting.
So if the arm rest rides too far down the forearm it's a pain.
Balance of the machine gets thrown off.
Then some are just designed poorly, as the balance is off right from the start.
Try shortening the shaft a tad, it might help.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds kinda weak but maybe I just needed a good ole pat on the back🤘
I'll get out, make y'all proud👍
Practice makes perfect-but even after 5 decades I'm still learning every time I go out. (slow learner maybe)
Soils, temp, age, machine, site, all factor into putting a keeper in the pouch.

Now if I had to give you examples of what I have dug in my last 4 cellar holes from a new permission...
Well put it this way I never took a picture even.
Bloody frustrating, to say the least.

Best of luck on your next outing.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK
I think you will be ok-just need some more detecting time in to learn the machine a tad more.

Oh I wish I had that sailor's forearms
Ever think of a sling ?
TreasureHunter and a few others use a sling to assist this.

My elbow area muscles at times takes a brunt of the stress / work... so i have a sling i made... but i have yet to implement it.
this may help you.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ever think of a sling ?
TreasureHunter and a few others use a sling to assist this.

My elbow area muscles at times takes a brunt of the stress / work... so i have a sling i made... but i have yet to implement it.
this may help you.
I use a swingy cord on the Minelab boat anchor machines if going on a long hunt.
But I switched to the Deus that weighs 1/2 the weight, and is less stress on the forearm and back.
Target rich sites are never an issue-the quiet sites create the long swinging time between targets=pain.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hollar... and anyone else semi new to this craft...

Its all about honing in your technique and style and making your time on the grounds efficient and productive.

This happens like all else over time and determination.

Capitalizing / Making the most out of a hunts time is key... this comes from the effort put forth in this honing of all the elements of detecting.

Once you have your "groove on"... you will move over and through the terrain like a pro and leave the area knowing you have nailed it.

Practice makes perfect and the more you detect the better at it you will become.

OP
OP
hollARDog

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hollar... and anyone else semi new to this craft...

Its all about honing in your technique and style and making your time on the grounds efficient and productive.

This happens like all else over time and determination.

Capitalizing / Making the most out of a hunts time is key... this comes from the effort put forth in this honing of all the elements of detecting.

Once you have your "groove on"... you will move over and through the terrain like a pro and leave the area knowing you have nailed it.

Practice makes perfect and the more you detect the better at it you will become.
Nice lil spill ARC👍
I'm starting to understand..........here is an hour at the pond. One small section of it........

Attachments

• 20221009_085401_090533.jpg
    20221009_085401_090533.jpg
    949.7 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
hollARDog

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The woman went to walk the baby so I followed behind and dug a couple of signals.
Feeling a lot better. My holes are barley as wide as my hand shovel. I need to move forward a few inches but I'm kinda scared to damage something cool. Now I'm on the ground a minute or so and not ten. Alot better on the knees🤘
The little "cap" in the middle is neat to me. My imagination says injectable bottle top🫣 seems to be cooper?

Attachments

• 20221011_175217_060754.jpg
    20221011_175217_060754.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221011_175608_060814.jpg
    20221011_175608_060814.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20221011_175625_060830.jpg
    20221011_175625_060830.jpg
    630.3 KB · Views: 29

coast40

Apr 3, 2015
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Simplex Lite, AT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Fisher F2, TRXs, CarrotZ, Lesche diggers, Bobcat excavator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys for the replies and excellent points.
I guess it really comes down to time with that stick in your hand. I just got back. Nothing special but I found things in the middle of nowhere 😃
I may also be fighting setup too or just plain not knowing what I'm doing yet. The weather is finally cooled off enough so this isn't like work, so I'll be getting out more now. I hope🫣
I'll be watching the bay for a good used pinpointers.

And guess I'ma need a better finds bag, lost 2 .22 leads today.
Look in the for sale sections of MD forums for a pinpointer. I have gotten an ATPro, 2 Lesches, headphones, and a coil on various forums. I recommend the Garrett carrot and the Whites TRX, though there are others. The depth is amazing compared to my first PP, the Fisher that came with my F22.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The woman went to walk the baby so I followed behind and dug a couple of signals.
Feeling a lot better. My holes are barley as wide as my hand shovel. I need to move forward a few inches but I'm kinda scared to damage something cool. Now I'm on the ground a minute or so and not ten. Alot better on the knees🤘
The little "cap" in the middle is neat to me. My imagination says injectable bottle top🫣 seems to be cooper?
Looking like an old button that you got.

OP
OP
hollARDog

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking like an old button that you got.
I was cleaning up my poop and picked that up again and now its dry I showed her, I think it's from a 2 piece cloths button. She looked at me side ways and said "if they made them like that".
Which we know they did🤘

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something you might try doing after you get a good repeatable signal is, while still in pinpoint mode, outline the target and slowly raise your coil while over the target. That will give you an idea as to the size and shape and depth of the target. Couple that with your target id and you'll start to get a pretty good idea whether or not it's something you want to dig.

It's something I learned to do early on using a White Classic 3 that didn't have Target ID.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread