What's new

Sweet Civil War Piece Personalized by Soldier

calmerthanu

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2012
Messages
303
Reaction score
688
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon / minelab x-terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got back out to the sight Sunday where we were hunting 2 weeks ago and my buddy dug a nice box plate. Well today was my turn as we got into a mess of dropped bullets. I knew another box plate had to be near by and 10 ft away from the bullet spill I got a nice strong solid tone, dig down only about 3 inches and out pops another box plate, this one was only about 75ft away from the one my buddy dug 2 weeks ago. Well I got home and let the dirt dry and then proceeded to begin tooth picking the dirt off. As you can see the plate is in very great shape on the front. As i began tooth picking the back i saw that the lead fill was weak in a few spots so i was very gently toothpicking and brushing the back. After a few minutes i noticed lines cut in the lead fill and as I looked i realized they were letters. Behold the soldier had personalized his box plate with his initials which as you can see are R B H. I was blown away when I saw that, this relic holds even more of a special meaning to me now. HH, Jeff C.
Added updated pic of back with initials showing better.

13339501_10208501352925637_3906924311095892024_n.webp 13346924_10208506316489723_489994688196363100_n.webp
13312659_10208500924474926_5493008931000582931_n.webp 13321756_10208508826752478_8963322474559309105_n.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 68
Incredibly personal box plate find Jeff, you did an amazing job at cleaning it up too! :occasion14:

Dave
 
Last edited:
Great to see it on this special day. It was the Civil war that gave us this day of remembrance.
Anytime you have a name or initials on a dug item it really puts it all in percpective.
 
What a beautiful plate, thanks for including the "before" photo as well. Big time congrats.
 
This is the second plate I've dug with initials carved in the back
 
Congratulations on a great find. Voting for banner.
 
Updated pic of back of plate just added
 
Dang that is a really pretty plate. With the initials carved on the back it's even better! I gotta vote banner
 
Excellent find and great job of preserving it. Thank you for sharing this with us. Now that it is out of the ground and being shown it is history. Underground it was meaningless. Thank you again.
 
I did not think he meant any disrespect I was just making it clear that I won't be intimidated from posting my finds that are found on property that I have the permission to be on just because some fools trespassed on federal property, i hope they are caught and prosecuted for it and sadly the poorly informed news people who covered this story will blow it all out of proportion and make us all look bad. Even sadder his how so many people believe everything they see on the news.

No, I absolutely did not mean to take away from a BANNER FIND! I was just wondering out loud. :notworthy:
 
Its all good Terry Soloman, its just ridiculous how the local media stations here try to make it sound like the whole battlefield was dug up, haha. But whatever idiot or idiots that did that have no care for others in the hobby just themselves!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom