Sweet Springs, West Virginia

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sweet Springs opened as a health resort in 1833, but its origins date back to 1783 when William Lewis constructed several log cabins to promote the region's healthy attributes. The elongated hotel building was not constructed until later in 1838, designed reportedly by Thomas Jefferson. The popularity of the resort reflected the vacationing aspect of city-dwellers, who would make the trip via train and buggy during the late 18th and 19th century from Washington D.C. and other nearby cities. Over the years, several guest cottages were constructed, along with a ballroom, a brick bathhouse and several slave cottages.

The resort gradually declined in popularity and was sold to the state of West Virginia in 1941 to serve as a Sanatorium, and later the Andrew Rowan Memorial Home for the elderly. The entire facility closed in the 1990s.

In 2005, a subsidiary bottling company at the resort began to bottle mountain spring and mineral water, marketed under the SweetSommer Water brand.

On October 11, 2007, the state leased 625 acres adjacent to the Sweet Springs property to a developer who plans to revive the resort. The new owner, Warren D. Smith, plans to construct a golf course, amphitheater, vineyard and other attractions on the leased property, and has long-range plans to restore the existing resort buildings as a 'showcase for historic preservation and economic development.'
Sources
1. Steelhammer, Rick. 'W.VA's Heritage in Jeopardy: Most endangered historic places list created to secure dozens of sites.' Sunday Gazette-Mail [Charleston] 11 Dec. 2005: 1A.

2. 'State leases Monroe property to resort developer.' Herald-Dispatch [Huntington] 12 Oct. 2007. 12 Oct. 2007 Article.

3. 'Ann Royall/Sweet Springs.' West Virginia Archives & History. 2007. West Virginia Division of Culture and History. 12 Oct. 2007 Article.

Attachments

• sw11.jpg
    sw11.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 869
  • sw2.jpg
    sw2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 643
  • sw16.jpg
    sw16.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 627
  • sw14.jpg
    sw14.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2,192
  • sw13.jpg
    sw13.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 664
  • sw12.jpg
    sw12.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 639
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
:)

Attachments

• swe7.jpg
    swe7.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 614
  • swe6.jpg
    swe6.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 618
  • swe10.jpg
    swe10.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 604
  • swe.jpg
    swe.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 622
  • sw9.jpg
    sw9.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 620
  • sw8.jpg
    sw8.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 688
  • sw3.jpg
    sw3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 672

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site has been hunted out. Last time I was there--dig holes everywhere. It broke my heart. It has been hunted HARD in the intervening years I have been away from Virginia--by more than one person I'm absolutely certain.

Thank GOD someone is going to restore it--even though it'll take millions to get the asbestos out of it. When I was there last, the other thing that broke my heart is that the A$$HOLE that owned it before this guy knocked the two towers off of the original 1830's spring house. >:( I was FURIOUS! It used to look like this:

The_Springhouse.jpg

Inside_the_Springhouse.jpg

Inside_the_Springhouse2.jpg

-Buckleboy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was truly a magical place...

GatorsMoon

Feb 26, 2008
Mason County
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX SunRay DX1 Probe
May I ask where exactly this place is located, and is it still possible to detect with permission? Who would you get permission from? I live in Mason Co. W.Va. and would like to know how far I would need to travel. If it is still possible to hunt would anyone else be interested?

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I lived about 10 minutes from the old resort for 15 years . Still own a house & property there . You
can't get permission to detect there . I have a nephew who is one of the water plant operators for the
town of White Sulphur Springs which is also in the same general area . Haven't really talked to him in
the last couple years since I moved . I think they have a bottled water plant at the old resort now . My
nephew works there on the side , something to do with the water plant there .
Anyone like to buy a summer home / permanent home in beautiful sweet springs valley ?

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I'm about 15 miles from the place in Va, I drive past it all the time on my way to monroe county to hunt for arrowheads, it's a cool looking old resort, always thought it would be rich in relics. Anyone in the area wants to do some artifact hunting gimme a holler.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread